Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:46 pm

Author Topic: Valve check and coolant pipes  (Read 1206 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Valve check and coolant pipes
« on: 07 May 2019, 11:19:31 am »
Guys
Has anyone got a link to a good 'how to' guide to check the valve clearances?
I have removed the ais several years ago so hoping this makes things a little easier.
Will I need a new gasket (no bike dealers within 20 miles so will have to prepare for this surgery).
Also, coolant pipes into rocker cover looks like it could do with a look at a wire brush! Does this simply remove from the rocker cover and is it better to replace this item? Again, are gaskets required?
Any comments appreciated 😂
D

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Valve check and coolant pipes
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2019, 07:14:53 pm »
Not a lot online, perhaps http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/fastfranksvalvecheckadjustmenttips.shtml  maybe of help?
 I used the Clymer manual which was much more detailed than the Service Manual.
You'll need to order the ignition rotor gasket as it invariably seems to break when you try & remove it.

If you're referring to the gasket with the 'half-moons' that goes between the top cover and top of the cylinder head, then no, if careful you should be able to take it off and reuse it, probably two or three times - seems fairly robust.
The top metal coolant pipes are held in place with allen bolts (obscured by rust & corrosion) and when you pull them up & out all the rust / dust / clag flies everywhere. If you can get a mini-vacuum in around them try to lift the excess off before using some wet-wipes. Those metal coolant pipes will have a gasket O-rings in underneath them and you should replace them: nothing worse than reassembling the top end meticulously, just to see fluids making a bid for freedom...   

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2019, 10:38:57 pm »
Thank you for that reply and the useful link.
The check does seem within my capabilities, but I don't have the narrow feelers so maybe a job for someone else.
Can I remove the coolant pipes to clean or replace without removing the rocker cover?
D

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2019, 07:33:02 am »
Yes you can remove the coolant pipes with the rocker cover on. Try to loosen any crud/corrosion build up first then a blast of compressed air before you remove them, held in with a Allen bolt, you should really replace the “o” rings on re-assembly.  I just rubbed the pipes down and painted then Matt black.

I used a normal set of feeler blades to check valve clearances, needed nothing special. All my clearances where in spec, no adjustments needed. Done at around 27000 miles I think.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2019, 10:37:50 pm »
Thank you
I have now found the coolant pipes and o ring seals on a parts diagram.
All help appreciated 😉
D
« Last Edit: 08 May 2019, 10:38:40 pm by dickturpin »

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2019, 07:50:35 am »
I did mine a couple winters ago. The coolant pipes were pretty bad, pinholes under the rust so I remade them with chemical metal. New o rings definitely. I had a good few out of spec so you might need shims.  I took the opportunity to remove all the water pipes and refurbished them and new seals too. You need to drop the coolant and the oil if you do the other lower pipes.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2019, 05:01:54 pm »
If your instructions tell you to remove the carbs in order to check the valves (looking at you Mr Haynes) you don't need to. Also you can leave the timing cover on and rotate the rear wheel with the bike in gear so the cam lobes are opposite the buckets to check the clearances.