Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:36 am

Author Topic: Apparent misfire and difficulty pulling away.  (Read 1141 times)

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Apparent misfire and difficulty pulling away.
« on: 01 May 2019, 07:02:17 pm »
Gen 2 2008 fz1s fazer: Yesterday I attempted to go for a ride, on starting off the bike bogged a little but off we went to some traffic lights where we stopped. Same thing happened again, had to rev more than usual to pull away. This happened several more times so ride was aborted and home.
I’m guessing that it may be related to a coil. I’ve ordered new plugs as it does need a change so will be doing them. I took out the LH side coil out today (nearside) and did a test as shown on YouTube, the primary test showed up as 3.1 ohms and tha secondary was 9.45 k ohms.
I gather the first result is classed as a fail (as per manual instruction) the secondary falls into the pass range.
(I must add that I’m in no way electrically savvy so relied on YouTube for help)
Do you think I’m on the right track with my checking.......I intend to check the other 3 coils when I change the plugs?
Another thing.......I ordered the plugs as per the handbook, but when I removed the plug today it looked like the pic in the manual (earwig tail shape) but the new plugs ordered look like a conventional plug. (NGK/ CR9EK)
Any advice appreciated.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
Re: Apparent misfire and difficulty pulling away.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2019, 06:40:57 am »

Had a similar thing happen to my 2008 11k miles fz1 a couple of weeks back first time out since Nov. it was running great for the first 2/3 miles then dropped on to 3 cylinders at low revs then 2 cylinders get the revs up fired on all 4 and ran perfect for a half a minute or so then back to 3 cylinders then 2 aborted ride.  Like you I suspected the stick coils but started by changing the plugs (didn't know how to test stick coils or I would have) changed the plugs (NGK CR9EK earwig tail shape) took it out for a quick test ride no problems done approx. 300miles since runs perfect.

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2019, 10:56:34 am »
Cheers Steve, my plugs have come (earwig after all) so I’ll start there. I’m still thinking the coil / coils will make an appearance as I did test one which according to the specs given indicate it may be goosed. It did have a little line of what looked like rust on one of the joints on the body, (which was surprising as the bike is immaculate for a 11 year old bike).
I’ll test the others as well when I do the plugs.
By the way, did you manage by just pivoting the rad forward?
Thanks again your input has been helpful.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2019, 11:27:38 am »
Tried tilting rad finished up taking fairing etc off just easier in the end. the 2 centre plugs on mine looked like to inside of a kettle scaled up on the out side metal body of the plug  so I just assumed water had got past the seals on top of the coil sticks and sat in the bottom of the cylinder head where the plugs sit and had boiled off with the heat from the motor cooking those 2 plugs. Going to look up that coil test just in case though. Ps what are the specs for the Primary and Secondary resistance tests.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 11:59:02 am by steve 10562cc »

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2019, 04:50:34 pm »
Ok......The manual states: Primary 1.19 to 1.61 ohms.        Secondary 8.50 to 11.5 k ohms.
So on my multitester I turned the dial to the 200 ohm mark for the primary, and for the secondary I set it to the 20k ohm mark as the secondary test is in kilo ohms.
There are lots of examples on YouTube as to where you connect your multimeter to for each test as they differ.
No doubt someone will now reply and say I’ve done it wrong, but we all live and learn.  :)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2019, 08:34:30 am »
Cheers for that confirmed the figures I found. 

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2019, 02:32:14 pm »
Test away then Steve, I hope your coils are healthy.
If mine or one of mine is duff obviously I’ll have to replace it or them. I notice that the prices vary wildly from over £100 each for oe to say £30 ish for replicas (Chinese) which I’d be wary of.
I have seen some from the US, ‘SPARK-HOUSE’, who get a good write up and at a reasonable price so may go for them.
Can anyone recommend viable replacements other than oe?

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2019, 11:07:13 am »
It's still running sweet after the new plugs I work by the old saying don't fix it if it ain't broke. 

Lonewolf

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2019, 04:41:48 pm »
Steve........Plugs changed yesterday. I checked the gaps and they were all bigger than .7 mm. Bike appears to be running ok now after brief test run. I also did a wet kitchen towel test on the headers after switching off, all four sizzled.
It was difficult to pull the coils as they were very tight but after loosening off the rad I managed (skinned knuckles though). A tip I’d like to pass on is when you remove the bottom rad retaining bolt, pop a slotted tennis ball over the curved bracket, this ensures that you won’t damage the rad when pulling it about during the plug removals.
I’ll see what happens when I take the bike out next time for a proper run.  :thumbup