Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:58 pm

Author Topic: New front tyre fitted and now a singing bearing noise present  (Read 1358 times)

Bad bad boy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi all, I need some help, I had a new front tyre fitted the other day on my fzs600, I've now done about 80 miles on it. Right from the off there has been a bearing type noise coming from front, and it's still there, is it possible that the front wheel bearings can now be defective as a result of a new tyre, or ... could it be a fitting mistake ie hub axle nut over tightened, I do not trust the company that did this work for me now ! Just want to get my bike done properly, any ideas would be very welcome thank you Alan
« Last Edit: 29 April 2019, 12:41:16 pm by Bad bad boy »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: New front tyre fitted
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2019, 11:40:21 am »
With the front wheel off the ground & spinning do you get the noise, does the speedo work ok.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2019, 11:41:36 am by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2019, 11:48:26 am »
I think Bandit may be thinking about the spedo drive - here is my post about mine with lots of other perhaps useful info for you.  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,24814.0.html
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Bad bad boy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2019, 12:27:59 pm »
With the front wheel off the ground & spinning do you get the noise, does the speedo work ok.
hi, no the noise is not present when the front wheel is off the ground, I took both brake calipers off cleaned and reset, made no difference, with calipers off wheel ran smoothly, no noise or any signs of tightness, and the speedo works fine, the tyre is fitted with the arrow of direction going the right way also ???? So the noise seems present under load, no bad vibes from steering either, although fuel consumption seems up indicating friction off some kind, could it be possible that the fitter has distorted the brake discs ??

Bad bad boy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2019, 12:37:40 pm »
I think Bandit may be thinking about the spedo drive - here is my post about mine with lots of other perhaps useful info for you.  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,24814.0.html     Many thanks for the help and info I'm not sure if the speedo drive would make this sort of noise it's pretty heavy but will check over thanks Alan

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: New front tyre fitted and now a singing bearing noise present
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2019, 01:14:59 pm »
Could be the pads have been put back in different positions and are now “against the grain”, which will wear off quite quickly.
If the brake discs were distorted you’d soon know about it as it would really shudder when braking, so i doubt very much it’s that.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2019, 02:02:31 pm »
although fuel consumption seems up indicating friction off some kind,
I would not of thought that after only having the bike for 80 miles that you could tell about fuel consumption TBH. And to make a difference there would be a lot of heat generated at the source I would of also thought.A few days ago some one had an issue and it was suggested there is a small spacer that fits between the forks and wheel that if it is dry and coupled with the front wheel spindle perhaps being a little over tight could be the cause of the noise - but that was more of a squeak noise I think
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2019, 04:20:47 pm »
Have you checked the tyre pressure is correct.

Bad bad boy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2019, 06:44:33 pm »
  Thanks Bandit and everyone else for your thoughts, ive had a totally strip down this afternoon as I suspected error when the wheel was fitted, bearings out and new ones on order, the bearing next too the outer spacer feels very rough, therefore I think the fitter has over tightened the axle spindle at some point causing the defect, it could well be the case that this bearing was on it's way out, and the over tightening has finished it off, you can only really hear it when it's under load, the tightness of the axle bolt was defo well over 67NM, I will let you know if the new bearings have done the trick, they are in the post now, if it is, beware of tyre fitting firms who are not just 100% motorcycle, live and learn I suppose.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2019, 06:55:11 pm »
  Thanks Bandit and everyone else for your thoughts, ive had a totally strip down this afternoon as I suspected error when the wheel was fitted, bearings out and new ones on order, the bearing next too the outer spacer feels very rough, therefore I think the fitter has over tightened the axle spindle at some point causing the defect, it could well be the case that this bearing was on it's way out, and the over tightening has finished it off, you can only really hear it when it's under load, the tightness of the axle bolt was defo well over 67NM, I will let you know if the new bearings have done the trick, they are in the post now, if it is, beware of tyre fitting firms who are not just 100% motorcycle, live and learn I suppose.

I had that once, went to what was actually a family run bike shop a few miles from me to check an issue with my front braking and when I next tried to take the wheel off it was like a 20 stone man had jumped up and down on an extended scaffold bar to tighten up the wheel nut, i wasn't impressed  and never went back again. Plus they never figured out the problem either.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2019, 07:43:56 pm »
Bad bad boy, just be warned when putting the front wheel back in to be extra careful to insert the lugs on the speedo drive correctly into the wheel before tightening or you will snap them off.  Smile