Date: 18-04-24  Time: 06:28 am

Author Topic: New Chain Time = Sprockets too ?  (Read 12692 times)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: New Chain Time = Sprockets too ?
« Reply #125 on: 06 May 2019, 08:53:56 pm »
The rear sprocket is handed but 95% sure that the milled face faces out and the smooth face faces in to the wheel but just wanted to double check.Photos here

I think it's top pick with JT stamped on it faces out.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 07 May 2019, 10:14:06 am »

I think it's top pick with JT stamped on it faces out.
+1 Deffo
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 07 May 2019, 10:54:19 am »
Yes it does look like the OEM one when looked at that way round.
I have another question. Would people remove the grease that the new chain is coated in, I plan on using gear oil as my lube regime as spray wax is sticky and attracts grit and that is just like what is on the new chain.
Im thinking a few wipes over with a paraffin coated rag and not a massive scrub in a bucket of paraffin - although I could do that before it gos on the bike.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 10:55:03 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 07 May 2019, 12:53:00 pm »
I have another question. Would people remove the grease that the new chain is coated in, I plan on using gear oil as my lube regime as spray wax is sticky and attracts grit and that is just like what is on the new chain.
Im thinking a few wipes over with a paraffin coated rag and not a massive scrub in a bucket of paraffin - although I could do that before it gos on the bike.

If you want to clean it off before it will be easier to do before you put it on as you can flex the links, I have never used chain wax only lube on O- ring chains & oil on standard chains when chain wax/ lube didn't exist & I can tell you grit sticks to oil & you have to apply more often than chain lube as it flings off more so. Paraffin soaked rag would be fine. Smile
« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 12:53:56 pm by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 07 May 2019, 03:16:45 pm »

If you want to clean it off before it will be easier to do before you put it on as you can flex the links, I have never used chain wax only lube on O- ring chains & oil on standard chains when chain wax/ lube didn't exist & I can tell you grit sticks to oil & you have to apply more often than chain lube as it flings off more so. Paraffin soaked rag would be fine. Smile
Thanks. I have only ever used chain wax and after 22k miles 18k in the dry and am having a few stiff links so I want to give gear oil a try on a - never waxed chain. I will see how I get on.
I hope to get it done this week.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2019, 03:17:16 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 12 May 2019, 10:01:15 pm »
New sprocket and stainless nuts on. I couldn't help myself but to paint the ends of the sprocket studs.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 13 May 2019, 11:11:51 pm »
Job now complete. Thanks to everyone who has helped.I wiped off most of the grease on the chain and put on some gear oil and first run out shows some fling off of the gear oil and the yellow grease still on the inside edge of the links. Don't like it down the side of my tyre. Will give it a few miles and see how it go's no doubt I put too much on.  :rolleyes   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 14 May 2019, 06:26:03 am »
Job now complete. Thanks to everyone who has helped.I wiped off most of the grease on the chain and put on some gear oil and first run out shows some fling off of the gear oil and the yellow grease still on the inside edge of the links. Don't like it down the side of my tyre. Will give it a few miles and see how it go's no doubt I put too much on.  :rolleyes

Don't forget to put it on AFTER a run so the heat of the chain draws in the oil more easily.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 20 May 2019, 09:23:30 pm »
Who wants my loctite 620. I brought a 50ml bottle for the front sprocket and probably will not have use for it again, but just in case I do I have decanted about 7 ml to keep for myself.If anyone wants the rest they can have it for free. I will start here so that I am offering it to the main people who have helped me with this but if no one in here needs it then I will post it in the general section.