Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:05 pm

Author Topic: New Chain Time = Sprockets too ?  (Read 12697 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
New Chain Time = Sprockets too ?
« on: 27 April 2019, 10:46:03 am »
Chain and sprockets are OEM and 21 years old but only done 22k miles.
I have a tight spot on the chain that I have tried to free up last year but its still there and I can hear it and feel it through the peg. I have just had an mot and got the chap to look at my rear sprocket as I wanted a second opinion, he had a good look and said he does not think it needs changing but pointed out some chain wear.
I know some say change sprockets at the same time but the rear at least looks fine to me. Pictures attached.
Also I want to fit a continuous chain and want an x ring D.I.D  but confused as to if they come as continuous. Here  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/72435#itemReview_9179

First one is before I cleaned the area being photographed. 
I will post some of the front sprocket later when I get the cover off

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: New Chain Time = Sprockets too ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2019, 12:00:58 pm »
Sprocket does look okay to me, but i've always changed everything as a set in the past.
Reckon you might struggle finding an endless chain though.

Get the lot here from Busters for the same price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-1998-2003-GOLD-Heavy-Duty-X-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Set-Kit/400962520220?epid=1046181766&hash=item5d5b3a849c:g:-RkAAOSw47dZ1~~X
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2019, 12:41:12 pm »
Yes I am struggling to find a continuous chain. So then my next questions would be what methods do people use to rivet a chain. If I have to buy a tool on top of the chain then it may be as well to get the dealer to fit it perhaps.
Whilst I was removing the swing arm and suspension linkages to fit a continuous chain I was going to take the opportunity to re grease everything but if I fit a rivet chain then I am going to be lazy and not do the re grease. -- Should I really re grease at 22k - dry mileage. 

That buster link - the chain is quality D.I.D but no mention of the sprocket manufacturer. Should I be looking at getting the chain and separate quality sprockets. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2019, 12:52:39 pm »
Yes I am struggling to find a continuous chain. So then my next questions would be what methods do people use to rivet a chain. If I have to buy a tool on top of the chain then it may be as well to get the dealer to fit it perhaps.
Whilst I was removing the swing arm and suspension linkages to fit a continuous chain I was going to take the opportunity to re grease everything but if I fit a rivet chain then I am going to be lazy and not do the re grease. -- Should I really re grease at 22k - dry mileage. 

That buster link - the chain is quality D.I.D but no mention of the sprocket manufacturer. Should I be looking at getting the chain and separate quality sprockets.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of people don't grease things as much as they should, so that is simply your choice.

As for the sprockets, they will be 100% fit for purpose, so no point in worrying about quality.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2019, 12:59:15 pm »
Thanks for your help
Its just the linking of the chain that I do not have the tools for. Have just rang the local yam dealer who would charge £80 to fit my supplied chain and sprockets or £60 to fit my supplied chain only.
What tools or methods do people use to link a chain.

« Last Edit: 27 April 2019, 01:01:08 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2019, 01:07:01 pm »
Think I have found an endless chain but confused as on the same page are links https://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/category/10108000000/article/545626/

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2019, 01:53:01 pm »
Think I have found the same ebay Busters kit on the Busters site but is £120 from their site  :eek unless I have got something wronghttps://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/k3/category/10199000000/vehicle/21149/k3_editor//k3sprocket/726.19.93/k3pgear/727.01.76/chain/id7972482/
And this one with an endless at £125 https://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/k3/category/10199000000/vehicle/21149/k3_editor//k3sprocket/726.19.93/k3pgear/727.01.76/chain/id7487044/
The spec says FZS600H - never heard of "H"

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2019, 02:42:51 pm »
DID x ring chain and renthal sprockets every time for me. 40000 miles no problem
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2019, 02:52:48 pm »
40k miles would last me 40 years. Where do you get yours from. I see renthals £11 front £43 rear (hard anodised )

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2019, 03:02:35 pm »
It's quite standard behaviour for companies to sell stuff cheaper on Ebay than their official websites.
I clocked onto that years ago.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2019, 03:06:26 pm »
40k miles would last me 40 years. Where do you get yours from. I see renthals £11 front £43 rear (hard anodised )

That's what i mean, you're not racing it and you do minimal mileage so a standard kit will be just fine for your bike. D.I.D. are a well known tried and tested company for chains so they're not gonna lose their reputation by pairing them up with crappy sprockets.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2019, 03:09:46 pm »

I’ve used rivet link C&S kits and endless ones in the past.
A chain tool is pretty cheap, the one I bought years ago currently costs £20 and has made easy work of about 8 C&S changes in that time.
Alternatively, that endless chain looks ideal, I guess the links are listed in case you want to extend/shorten it. If like me, you’re too lazy to strip the rear suspension down for lubrication unless forced into it, then the endless option is ideal.
There looks to be plenty of life in that rear sprocket and a “silent” front sprocket is less than a tenner.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2019, 03:13:06 pm »
It's quite standard behaviour for companies to sell stuff cheaper on Ebay than their official websites.
I have seen that too but not so much of a big difference. Shame as I cannot find them doing the endless chain kit. Also just noticed that they are being "canny" with the description and it may catch people out. On the one in your link GOLD Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and Sprocket Set Kit but it is not a D.I.D ( I dont think )

This is their D.I.D ebay offering https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-1998-2003-DID-X-RING-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-X-Ring-FZS600/400676831619?hash=item5d4a334183:g:KAEAAOSw9kxZ1l7L Still cheaper than on their site though.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2019, 03:15:52 pm »

I’ve used rivet link C&S kits and endless ones in the past.
A chain tool is pretty cheap, the one I bought years ago currently costs £20 and has made easy work of about 8 C&S changes in that time.
Alternatively, that endless chain looks ideal, I guess the links are listed in case you want to extend/shorten it. If like me, you’re too lazy to strip the rear suspension down for lubrication unless forced into it, then the endless option is ideal.
There looks to be plenty of life in that rear sprocket and a “silent” front sprocket is less than a tenner.
I will get a photo of the front sprocket for peoples opinion as to if I really need to change it as I understand it wears quicker than the rear.
What is the tool you use.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2019, 04:37:52 pm »
I have seen that too but not so much of a big difference. Shame as I cannot find them doing the endless chain kit. Also just noticed that they are being "canny" with the description and it may catch people out. On the one in your link GOLD Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and Sprocket Set Kit but it is not a D.I.D ( I dont think )

This is their D.I.D ebay offering https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-1998-2003-DID-X-RING-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-X-Ring-FZS600/400676831619?hash=item5d4a334183:g:KAEAAOSw9kxZ1l7L Still cheaper than on their site though.

Blimey, i never even spotted that, the advert must've been lobbed in the middle of other D.I.D. chain ads, plus i put D.I.D. in the search engine.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2019, 04:39:07 pm by darrsi »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2019, 07:00:01 pm »

I will get a photo of the front sprocket for peoples opinion as to if I really need to change it as I understand it wears quicker than the rear.
What is the tool you use?
This is the one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183609863691?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2019, 07:28:15 pm »
I use the Afam Riviting tool, simple to use

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2019, 10:12:43 pm »

That's what i mean, you're not racing it and you do minimal mileage so a standard kit will be just fine for your bike. D.I.D. are a well known tried and tested company for chains so they're not gonna lose their reputation by pairing them up with crappy sprockets.
Got to disagree with that. The sets you buy usually come with afam sprockets and they wear very quickly and destroy the chain in the process I doubled my chain life by pairing it with quality sprockets.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2019, 09:09:58 am »
Surprised that Afam are considered inferior, being the sprocket manufacturer of choice for many professional race teams. Rossi's team for one. When I 've bought DID chain/sprocket kits, the budget sprockets supplied were normally JT or Sun. I know Celticbiker puts in huge mileages so has great experience in chain, sprocket and tyre life, but was shocked that Afam was poorly rated, especially as I went out of my way to choose that make for my rear sprocket replacement recently :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2019, 10:50:31 am »

… The sets you buy usually come with afam sprockets…
I guess things have changed. I’ve not bought an aftermarket C&S set for ages (the last 2 have been genuine Yamaha and I get 40k from them thanks to the oiler), but the sprockets always used to be JT.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 April 2019, 10:58:56 am »

Got to disagree with that. The sets you buy usually come with afam sprockets and they wear very quickly and destroy the chain in the process I doubled my chain life by pairing it with quality sprockets.

They can't be that bad, and as mentioned you push your bike harder than most people so wear and tear is inevitably going to seem that much quicker than normal to you.
But after a quick look, most of the kits i've seen have JT sprocket sets with the chain, so i think it's just a matter of shopping about, but i never found any other negative comments about AFAM sprockets either, which are classed as a race brand, in fact they were all positive.
For the average rider as long as the chain is maintained by being correctly lubed, tightened and is on straight then it should last a very long time, but as you could probably imagine not all of these things are adhered to by some owners. Even a brand new chain can go bad extremely quickly if left neglected out in the elements.
Another thing to mention, i spent decades using proper spray chain lube thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, yet after trialing using engine oil instead put on with a paint brush i can really see and feel that the chain is in a much better condition than it ever was than when it was gunged up with lube.
Nothing sticks to it any more so it looks cleaner for starters and when the oil is very quickly applied with the paint brush on a warm chain i can immediately see that every single link is getting a good covering, whereas i can now understand that it would be fairly easy to miss just one link using the spray lube which in turn can then become that weakest link that you suddenly feel through your footpeg further down the line.   
« Last Edit: 28 April 2019, 11:00:22 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 April 2019, 11:14:23 am »

… The sets you buy usually come with afam sprockets…
I guess things have changed. I’ve not bought an aftermarket C&S set for ages (the last 2 have been genuine Yamaha and I get 40k from them thanks to the oiler), but the sprockets always used to be JT.

I must look into getting a Scottoiler to be honest, it really doesn't bother me using the brush method at all, in fact i like to see exactly what's going on, but it would make more sense to do it automatically.
I've started using a thicker grade gear oil, is that still okay to use with these gadgets?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 April 2019, 11:18:26 am »
Don't think the chain is endless when fitting it just means it's supplied with a rivet link only instead of a split link option, so hence the endless in the description. Smile 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 April 2019, 11:54:57 am »
Don't think the chain is endless when fitting it just means it's supplied with a rivet link only instead of a split link option, so hence the endless in the description. Smile 
That has thrown me now.
Here are the 2 options in busters one described as "Endless" and the other as "Open Chain with Rivet link".  https://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/category/10108000000/vehicle/yamaha-fzs-600:21149/
But both have a drop down list with "Accessories" which list separately either a hollow rivet or a solid rivet.
Screenshot attached