Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:42 am

Author Topic: rear brake - how much lever play before it bites?  (Read 2050 times)

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
rear brake - how much lever play before it bites?
« on: 26 April 2019, 08:48:28 pm »
Hi

I'm still only a few hundred miles into my new (2002) fazer.  It's a really clean (looks brand new) machine and has  been very well looked after.  I'm totally new to the breed so this might be a naive question but...........

When in general traffic the rear brake is perfectly fine (ish) but I do feel that my foot has lots of travel before I feel a bite on the disc.  If travelling at say 60mph + and need some extra assistance when braking I feel the extra long travel together with the 'woolly' feel is a little uninspiring.

I've read a few threads........  but would like some opinions as to next steps.......

A  Bleed system
B  replace pads (not looked at wear yet)
C  replace with a blue spot rear
D  any combination of the above

let me know your thoughts

:)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: rear brake - how much lever play before it bites?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2019, 09:25:52 pm »
Check the stop adjuster first
Bleed the brakes second.
Look at the hose and possibly replace that third.
Replacing the pads/calliper wont make a difference really.

Ultimately, the rear brake doesn't do a lot. Many people only actually press that pedal at MOT time. Personally, I find it quite useful for slowing down.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2019, 10:53:29 pm »
I service my rear caliper twice a year to keep it sharp.
Front's for slowing down but an accurate and responsive rear brake is great in traffic.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2019, 11:07:41 pm »
As already said bleed the brakes but if you don't know how old the brake fluid is change it all & re-bleed, when the old fluid needs changing you may get brake fade & the pedal travel increases, I have had this happen in a emergency stop situation best to get it sorted asap. 

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2019, 10:01:35 am »
As already said bleed the brakes but if you don't know how old the brake fluid is change it all & re-bleed, when the old fluid needs changing you may get brake fade & the pedal travel increases, I have had this happen in a emergency stop situation best to get it sorted asap.

It is 18 years old and I have no records to speak of re servicing so a rear bleed and fluid replacement it is I think.

cheers

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2019, 10:41:43 am »

It is 18 years old and I have no records to speak of re servicing so a rear bleed and fluid replacement it is I think.

cheers

My bike is in it's 21st year (98) had from new with low mileage never changed the fluid until the pedal travel increased so possible same cause, worn out brake fluid, if you haven't done before look here. Clear tubing is better than black.

« Last Edit: 27 April 2019, 10:46:40 am by bandit »

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2019, 08:52:46 pm »

cheers

My bike is in it's 21st year (98) had from new with low mileage never changed the fluid until the pedal travel increased so possible same cause, worn out brake fluid, if you haven't done before look here. Clear tubing is better than black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nuh39VAu8

Thanks for the link.  I have done it before but the clamp on the rear foot pedal to create a lever, ever seen that and will use it in the future!

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2019, 10:52:32 pm »

cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nuh39VAu8

Thanks for the link.  I have done it before but the clamp on the rear foot pedal to create a lever, ever seen that and will use it in the future!

That's a good idea with the clamp for those with the rear res on the other side but not required on the Fazer anyway hope changing the fluid sorts your brake problem. If your looking for DOT 4 brake fluid 500ml should be plenty Carparts4Less have Pagid brand on offer this weekend with code & delivery is free.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2019, 10:53:44 pm by bandit »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2019, 11:52:01 pm »
Replace that brake hose, it'll be expanding like a uterus during pregnancy if it's 20 years old.  :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2019, 01:04:38 pm »
I have to comment that I think adding new fluid into the existing fluid in the reservoir is not best practice.
You are effectively contaminating the new stuff with the old stuff that is still in there.
I always syphon out as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as I can, before topping up with new fluid for the first time, to avoid contaminating it as much as possible.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2019, 02:11:37 pm »
I have to comment that I think adding new fluid into the existing fluid in the reservoir is not best practice.
You are effectively contaminating the new stuff with the old stuff that is still in there.
I always syphon out as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as I can, before topping up with new fluid for the first time, to avoid contaminating it as much as possible.

You clearly didn't watch the link I posted, which shows the fluid being removed from the res then being topped up before opening the bleed screws & then expelling old from the calipers/ pipework so I really don't see your point of your post which both comments you make equal the same outcome if your worried about contaminating new fluid, as old will still be in system whether you empty the res or not?  as the idea is flushing old out of system which is a darker colour until fresh is visible in the tubing.Wink
« Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 02:19:25 pm by bandit »

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2019, 06:28:38 pm »
Didn't see him emptying the reservoir so fair comment on that Bandit.
Didn't make myself very clear looking at the rest of your comment though as, after the first top up of the reservoir, I then bleed the system exactly the same way that he does.
I don't just top up the reservoir and then do nothing else.
That's not bleeding the brakes  :)
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2019, 07:02:14 pm »
Didn't see him emptying the reservoir so fair comment on that Bandit.
Didn't make myself very clear looking at the rest of your comment though as, after the first top up of the reservoir, I then bleed the system exactly the same way that he does.
I don't just top up the reservoir and then do nothing else.
That's not bleeding the brakes  :)

No worries Dynspud, I didn't think for one moment you just topped up the res when flushing for new fluid.  Smile
Bleeding= Removal of air which causes spongy brakes.
Flushing= Changing fluid which is worn out/ contaminated which causes lever/excessive brake pedal travel which may cause brake fade when the fluid gets hot.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 07:21:11 pm by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2019, 02:44:54 pm »
I think a great idea would be if you could get red or blue fluid as well as clear so that at every change you would use the alternating colour so that you could easily see when its properly running through with the new stuff.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.