Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:26 am

Author Topic: Hello and some advise pls  (Read 1752 times)

Deano448

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hello and some advise pls
« on: 24 April 2019, 08:51:59 am »
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Hello I have recently been riding an old T reg 600. She’s old but clean.[/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]Firstly I have snapped the rear hugger mount and have had to remove it. I am after a rear hugger or to keep it simple a chain guard if anyone can help ?[/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]I’m also after some advice to make the ride a little more comfortable. [/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]I find I get pain in the crease of my hips as my knees feel so high and I am not even tall at 5’10.[/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]Secondly I find I slump into my spine and wondered if twisting the bars forward would help shift my body angle and weight towards my arms more preventing the spine slouch ... has anyone done this or have any good suggestions ? [/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]I had presumed this style of bike would be more comfortable but my previous sports bike was far more comfortable over distance oddly.[/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText][/font][/color][/font][/size][font=.SF UI Text][/color][font=.SFUIText]Hi and I hope to chat more [/font][/color][/font][/size]

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and some advise pls
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2019, 06:25:43 pm »
You may find it hard to find a used chain guard a new one is about £40 delivered also the TRX850 is the same guard, make sure that you get one for years 98-01 as later 02-03 Fazer ones have different fittings the same also applies to the rear hugger.

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/yamaha/4NX223110000/case-chain-trx850-rear-arm?uid=0
« Last Edit: 24 April 2019, 06:26:29 pm by bandit »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2019, 09:26:43 pm »

You could change the dogbones to give an increase in ride height at the rear which will a) pitch your weight a bit further forward and b) reduce the angle at your knees slightly (though it will also quicken the steering a bit which you might not want).
You might also consider a reupholstered seat.
Some flatter Renthal bars could help. You’ll probably find if you rotate the standard bars forward enough to make much difference to the riding position then they’ll hit the fairing before you reach full lock.

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2019, 09:48:42 pm »
RE: hugger mounting just get some epoxy resin and put it on with a lollypop stick or something, I'm doing that right now to mine it has been repaired in the past an someone made a dogs dinner of the repair, nowt to worry about bit a resin sand it fill it spray it.
Try adjusting the bars, you might be better with some moto x style bars, i opted for drag bars and lower straight risers

Deano448

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2019, 11:33:55 pm »
Cheers ... actually longer dog bones may not be a bad idea. I did that to an old srad year ago and found it tipped in better. Maybe it’s the difference in ride style but I do find the front slow to turn.. feels like I’m waiting for the tyre to grip and take me the way I’m looking. I feel I have to be a lot more physical with her than I am used to.

Some flat style rentals or something could be a good shout and prob the easiest first option.

Does anyone know a bar that would fit the yoke and all other bits on the bars already with no other mods ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2019, 07:34:27 am »
Cheers ... actually longer dog bones may not be a bad idea. I did that to an old srad year ago and found it tipped in better. Maybe it’s the difference in ride style but I do find the front slow to turn.. feels like I’m waiting for the tyre to grip and take me the way I’m looking. I feel I have to be a lot more physical with her than I am used to.

Some flat style rentals or something could be a good shout and prob the easiest first option.

Does anyone know a bar that would fit the yoke and all other bits on the bars already with no other mods ?

Don't longer dogbones lower the bike, rather than raise it?

I would also guess that the difference in riding style is just upsetting muscles and joints that were used in a other angles with your previous bikes, and rather than changing the bike i reckon it's just a matter of patience letting your body get used to these differences of position.
Same as if i was to change back to a sports bike now, i know that my neck, wrists and hips would no doubt immediately suffer for a while.
It's not like you're extra short or tall in height either, in fact i would even say you are a very good height for these bikes, so i would be inclined to give the bike a bit more time so your body can adjust to it rather than prematurely doing unnecessary mods which may or may not help.   
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2019, 11:04:27 am »

Don't longer dogbones lower the bike, rather than raise it?

That is correct, SHORTER dogbones / linkages, to raise the height. ;)

Tilting the bars forward (or lower profile bars) would mean your hip angle becomes more acute, which is the opposite to what you want to achieve?

Raising seat height - by extra padding/upholstered, or dogbones, would help extend your hips/knees.

Faster steering response should be noticed after changing dogbones, also you can move the front forks in the Yokes to achieve this too.

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2019, 05:04:00 pm »
changing the dog bone will make no difference to the distance between the pegs and seat as they are both attached to the frame  only the swing arm changes  position you could try adjustable pegs or mounting plates to move the pegs to a different height

daviee

« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2019, 05:25:00 pm »
this type of thing would lower your pegs without altering your handling

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2019, 06:45:08 pm »

changing the dog bone will make no difference to the distance between the pegs and seat as they are both attached to the frame  only the swing arm changes  position you could try adjustable pegs or mounting plates to move the pegs to a different height
Good point!
Lowering the pegs reduces ground clearance unless you also use shorter dogbones.

daviee

« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2019, 07:08:11 pm »
fazers aint shy of ground clearance so dropping the pegs an inch will make little difference i got about 5mm left on the side of my front and on the edge of the rear tyre without hitting anything down and its stock height

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2019, 07:18:02 pm »
Everything OEM. Depending on the corner and probably mostly to do with camber I catch my toe boots on the ground. I tend to curl my toes up now :lol   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2019, 07:25:31 pm »
yeh i touch my toes down both sides but not the pegs so far but you have to admit your pushing it to do that they handle well and the pegs would fold it touched down

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2019, 12:32:00 pm »
Doesn't it depend on how you have your feet on the pegs?  I ride with the balls of my feet on the peg, moving them forward for gear changes/braking.
If you ride with the middle of your foot on the peg, in the gear/change/brake position, I would think that could make your toes nearer the ground when you lean it over.

Deano448

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
Cheers guys 👍