Date: 24-04-24  Time: 12:46 pm

Author Topic: No Sidelight or Tail lights  (Read 1691 times)

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
No Sidelight or Tail lights
« on: 23 April 2019, 05:13:30 pm »

My side light and tail lights have stopped working. First stop, fuse . All fuses working :) . Bulbs , all working :) .
So power. This part im not too good with but I try :rolleyes .
Handlebar and all connectors seem all ok. With ignition on power going to switch and coming back out.
So here is where I get lost :'( . Does the power now go to the relay in behind left hand cover and if it does how easy is it to check the relay. Any help with will be great . I may not be on due to work for couple of day and will miss my bike :'( . Any help much appreciated.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: No Sidelight or Tail lights
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2019, 07:51:25 pm »
There is a fuse under the rear panel that may be to blame. No idea of the exact location as I hvae never seen it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2019, 09:00:35 pm »
Is this the correct wiring diagram for your bike? Page 41   http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4
If it is the tail light and side light get 12V from Fuse 59 (parking) and that fuse gets 12V when the ignition is turned on. Most likely that fuse is blown.  There should be power on both sides it. It's 10A according to the manual

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2019, 12:31:08 am »
The relay under the left panel has nothing to do with the parking lights. It contains the starter cut out system and the fuel pump relay

Lock the steering and turn the key to the park position.
Are the parking lights working?
Press the hazard switch, do the indicators work?

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2019, 07:32:02 am »

That's given me something to think about. Checked fuses but not the power coming or going to them.
Ive never had the steering locked or used park position on ingnition so will try that.
Hazards were working and indicators were too. Actually used hazards to flash someone only a couple of days ago.
And I will have to admit , wiring diagrams are where I find problems . Trying to follow a path on them is still something I have to learn.
I also put on a new voltage regulator about 3 weeks ago as old one gave up. Do you think this may have something to do with present problem?
Well I need some sleep and will see if I can get a chance to look at it again later, or asap. Will keep update as soon as I get a chance. Thanks.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2019, 04:49:22 pm »

Quick update.
Key into  ignition and just put light switch on, and side light and tail light on :) ...…….ooh no
Just touched the handle bar and lights go OUT  :eek
So as unfazed said ill try locking the steering and see if I can get park light. Got it to lock but not to "P" position.
So key back in , unlock, ignition on, lights on, and lights back on  :) …….. move steering and LIGHTS OUT :eek
So, with steering full to left , lights come on. So I just touched the wiring on the left side of bike and LIGHS OUT. This was with the bike on side stand as no centre stand at moment. But even sitting on the bike the lights will come on with steering full to left, but slightest movement and out they go :'(
Everything else is working, hazards , indicators, horn , pass switch, brake switch. So looks like doggy connection somewhere on left near ignition.
But again im off to work. Any checks in this area , again appreciated .

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2019, 06:06:20 pm »
Broken wire/dodgy connector, put the ignition on with the bars straight & gently wiggle the wires to try & locate, I expect the lights also go out when turning to the right.   
When you turn the bars to the left to lock did you push the key down & at the same time turn key to P.

« Last Edit: 24 April 2019, 06:47:02 pm by bandit »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2019, 07:51:18 pm »
Yeah if turning the bars is having an effect it's most likely a break in the wire somewhere around the headstock area where the harness rubs the frame or it could be a loose connection in the block connector where the ignition connects to the main harness. As you turn the bars one way it puts tension on the damaged wire and pulls it apart, then you turn the bars the other way and the wire joins together again. The wire you're looking for is Blue with a red trace and it comes off the ignition. Follow the harness from the back of the ignition and look for any signs of rubbing or anywhere it could be getting pinched when the bars are turned. Also check the block connector where the ignition plugs into the harness. The pin in the connector could be separating. Again the pin you're looking at it the one connected to the blue/red wire

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2019, 08:38:55 pm »
 :agree

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2019, 02:54:54 pm »

Many thanks for reply. Wont have any time today to start but will on Friday and over weekend. And thanks Dude for pointing out wiring colour , that will help a lot and stop me scratching my head wondering where do all these go. Will start from ignition and work my from there.
And thanks unfazed, as normally I would just jump on bike and straighten steering before switching on. When you said lock the steering that's the first time ive turned ignition on without straightening the bike up , so would not have seen lights come on.
And yep bandit, pushed key to lock it. Was supprised it did, as that's the first time ive locked it. Lucky that didn't jam up on me.
So thanks again and ill let you know what I find asap.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2019, 10:54:15 pm »

:) Some good news and many thanks for the help with lights. Got tonight off so started on the bike . After taking fairing off and a little poking around, found that it was right at ignition that was causing the problem. So ignition of and stripped apart, found the broken wire.
 Ive tried to post a pic of it so hopefully it works.
Ive soldered the wire back on and tested the lights. All working again :rollin . So tomorrow will be putting all back together again.
And again , thank you for all help.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2019, 11:40:23 pm »
Well done. That's an awkward repair

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2019, 12:51:36 am »

Thanks Dude. The wiring wasn't showing any wear around ignition so thought it must be inside. When I too top yoke of and turned it over I thought I was beat. Two nice round headed bolts !!! attaching ignition to yoke. But ive got small cutting discs for my Dremil . so just cut a slot in them . Then again , two small round headed bolts holding on the barrel cover. Again cut a slot across them.
Then two cross headed bolts and it was time to take a deep breath and pull it apart. Was expecting to see springs flying in all directions but they all stayed in place. And one disconnected wire.
But without you pointing me in that direction I would have been lost. So many thanks.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2019, 08:52:18 am »
As that wire looks quite short I would solder a piece of extra wire to extend it so to eliminate it pulling tight again & breaking if there is room in the switch housing.