Date: 16-04-24  Time: 17:48 pm

Author Topic: Year 2000 FZS 600 Gearbox Noise  (Read 1851 times)

garagiste50150

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Year 2000 FZS 600 Gearbox Noise
« on: 19 April 2019, 01:05:16 am »

Hi Fazeristes
I have started getting a weird noise while Riding. Everything is fine until I select sixth gear. it is a "clacking" noise of which the frequency corresponds with engine speed. If I change into 5th the noise disappears, it also disappears if I engage the clutch (which éliminâtes timing chain etc). The drive chain tension is within limits but maybe a little tighter than ideal. I first noticed the noise when riding in town with my visor open. There is no snatching or other symptoms in fact when riding with my visor closed I do not notice any noises and all seems to be "normal"..
Do any of you have any idea what the problem might be?
All constructive comments would be gratefully received :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Year 2000 FZS 600 Gearbox Noise
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2019, 06:51:06 am »
For starters, if you yourself are saying your chain is too tight.....then it's too tight.
So you can begin somewhere by sorting that out so that it's correct. It's generally around 35mm of play on the lower middle part of the chain, but another way is with your finger push the chain up near the front end so that it just comfortably touches the bottom part of the plastic chain guide.
Make sure you slacken the rear brake caliper bar when using the rear wheel adjusters too otherwise there will not really be much to adjust on the right side.
What i normally do is slacken the adjusters, then push the wheel forward so i can nip each side up a bit at a time from scratch, until i think it's about right. The markers on the swing arm are a good guide, but not necessarily 100% accurate, so when you think the wheel is straight spin it backwards and all you should hear is a gentle purring sound of the chain.
Any other noises, like grinding, clunking, etc, means the wheel is still not straight or the chain is still too tight.
Once you're happy with the chain slack and the sound of the wheel spinning then torque it up to the correct spec.

When was the last time your oil was changed, and have you got the right amount in the sump?
It's possible older oil at high speeds could cause unwanted noises, even more so if there's not enough of it.
If you don't know when it was last changed, or it is old, then i would change it.
To correctly check the level, as per manual, put the bike on level ground on the centre stand then "start the engine" and let it run to circulate the oil for a minute.
Switch the engine off then looking at the sump window let the oil settle, it will only take about another minute to do so, but when it does this will be the correct level.
We've kind of agreed over time that the oil level should be towards the upper level marker rather than around the middle of the two markers, to prevent the oil level light flickering on hills or acceleration.

These are two areas where i would begin, to see if that helps at all.

This is now at least the third recent post where a noise has tried to be described but everyone has their own way of saying things so it can be difficult to assess without riding the bike ourselves.
Worse still, like your problem for example, it's a noise that happens when moving or at higher speeds, so you can't even record the noise either which is even more annoying.

I would start with the two simple things i've mentioned but if it's still bothering you or happening afterwards then you might wanna get a second opinion from a mechanic who'll need to give it a spin to try and replicate the noise.
I understand what it's like though, i completely know my bike by the noises it makes and whether they are right or wrong, so a new person riding it may not hear anything untoward at all, just general bike noises.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

garagiste50150

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2019, 09:34:33 am »

Thanks for your reply.
According to your "quick check" for chain tension mine is about right.
A more technical description of the noise would be that it's as if 6th gear is not quite engaged fully…..All other gears do not give the same noise

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2019, 10:02:21 am »

Thanks for your reply.
A more technical description of the noise would be that it's as if 6th gear is not quite engaged fully…..All other gears do not give the same noise

Heard that before with 2nd gear, but doesn't ring a bell with 6th gear.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2019, 10:14:39 am »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2019, 10:16:19 am »

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable.....properly at both ends?
That would be my next move.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2019, 11:25:47 am »
If it only happens in one gear it must be a gearbox problem. It's impossible to know how bad it is from a description of a sound. You need a mechanic to listen to the sound.

garagiste50150

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2019, 07:09:35 pm »

I'm begining to think that it is a gearbox problem :'( . Today I've done clutch adjustment, checked chain and sprockets etc.
There is a noise when in neutral which disappears when clutch engaged.
I cannot understand why 6th gear is "shot"
I'm considering doing a "two into one" with another Fazer which I'm pretty sure that has an ok engine and box :rolleyes 
If any of you have any other ideas of things to check then please feel free to do so.. :D ;)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2019, 08:49:48 pm »
What you describe sounds like a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Does it lose drive/power in 6th or not?
First port of call is take off the sprocket cover and check out your front sprocket to ensure everything in there is ok

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2019, 10:01:48 pm »

You have a lot to learn about this site :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2019, 10:56:23 pm »

You have a lot to learn about this site :pokefun

:lol

garagiste50150

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2019, 10:21:54 pm »
What you describe sounds like a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Does it lose drive/power in 6th or not?
First port of call is take off the sprocket cover and check out your front sprocket to ensure everything in there is ok

No loss of drive or power just the noise, if I drop into fifth the noise goes away…
Have checked chain and sprockets all are ok.
 Not sure if I fancy a season with the bike in the "as is" condition