Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:33 pm

Author Topic: new to me fazer 600 2001 -- ran well yesterday - this morning ... no spark  (Read 1998 times)

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi , just bough a fazer , its desided to stop, It ran well yesterday and today will do nothing , Turns over normally but I cannot get a spark so i guess its an electrical issue ... can you  knowledgeable folk point me at what tends to cause this with fazers .. Thanks in advance , hope its not a lemon , it was briefly a riot of a ride

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Check the battery voltage, give it a good charge with a bike charger (has the bike been used on a regular basis) as it may be ok to turn engine over but not to spark, you can use jump leads from a car battery if your careful.       

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Lots of faults can cause a loss of sparks, but quite a lot of them will also prevent the starter motor from running.
If you have a multimeter that can help to pin things down.
Without one, I’d check connectors are clean and tight everywhere and pay particular attention to the wiring at the rear of the bike near the ignitor unit. If there is, or has been in the past, an alarm fitted then the wiring may have been bodged in that area. On Fazers that haven’t been altered there are a couple of link plugs where the factory immobiliser option can be fitted. If the plugs are corroded or if one of the black wires to them is broken then that will allow the starter to operate, but you’ll get no sparks.

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Thanks for thr replys .... I now have spark back after charging and also checking the plugs around the ecu. When it is light tomorrow I will give the connectors a good clean and spray with contact cleaner ... havent yet started the bike as its late  but hipeful it will go - if not its a combinantion of issues - I would much rather tackle a fuel delivery issue than an electrical one so somewhat relieved ... amazing bike when it ran , just so fast compared to my gs 500 ... all the best folks , will post up the results of tomorrows fiddling abouts

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Where did you buy the bike from, and what sort of mileage?
As suggested if it was a private sale it may have been sitting around for a while which tends to play games with the battery, so the bike may need a general service anyway, whereas a bike shop should've given it a full MOT before releasing it.
If you plan on doing this yourself then just take one thing at a time and ask away if you need any pointers.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi , the bike was a private sale , its in good shape and has done 28k and was used intermitentely. After charging the battery overnight it started right up so the issue seems to be lower voltage- enough to crank , not enough to spark . I will monitor that battery with a voltmeter , it may well be past its best and need changeing . Also setting up a way to trickle charge the battery every time the bike is parked . I use heated clothing and it also has heated grips so the battery will get a tough life ... maybe  I can wire two batteries in parallel as there looks to be room at the back of the seat for another ... certainly a cheaper solution if needed than the high capacity lithium batteries . Thanks for your advice

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Hi , the bike was a private sale , its in good shape and has done 28k and was used intermitentely. After charging the battery overnight it started right up so the issue seems to be lower voltage- enough to crank , not enough to spark . I will monitor that battery with a voltmeter , it may well be past its best and need changeing . Also setting up a way to trickle charge the battery every time the bike is parked . I use heated clothing and it also has heated grips so the battery will get a tough life ... maybe  I can wire two batteries in parallel as there looks to be room at the back of the seat for another ... certainly a cheaper solution if needed than the high capacity lithium batteries . Thanks for your advice

This is a very popular brand of trickle charger & comes with the lead to connect permanently to the battery as you require as well as crocodile clips to bench charge, the're plenty of cheaper charges around but don't always come with the lead for permanent connection & you will need to make one yourself.[size=78%]

Video: [/size]

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Item:
https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/category-48/accumate-6v12v-battery-charger.html     

Or just a 12v one slightly cheaper if you don't need the 6v which you may prefer as has more lights to indicate state of charge, also comes with permanent connection. 
:)

https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/optimate-2-battery-charger.html
« Last Edit: 15 April 2019, 02:17:48 pm by bandit »

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Thanks , Ive rigged up my oxford charger an oximiser or something like it .... Its doing the trick , just waiting on a lead to make it an easy slick connection when i park ... battery was full but lowish after a short run  soi think its seen better days .. I will test with a voltmeter tomorrow to be sure the charging system is doing its job ...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I've been using one of the smaller CTEK ones (XS0.8 I think) for a few years now with no problems:-
:agree only mine is re-branded as Yamaha and has a car setting. My bike is permanently connected when parked because ic can be weeks at a time between rides. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Havent checked the volts today as the fiddling on the bike  needed to be sorting the seized rear brake ... so , removed the caliper and pistons and seals and reversed the lot then swore a lot while it wouldnt bleed ,,,, eventually its all together and just waiting for new pads  and the bike should  get an mot

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Well , getting the rear brake to bleed after the new pistons and seals was a right cockwomble but tis done ... all ready for the mot .... next job checking the battery volts after a pootle

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
If you’re fine with servicing your own calipers then depending on if you’re an all year round biker like me it’s worth giving them a scrub with brake cleaner and some fresh red rubber grease twice a year and they will serve you very well.
I do mine on the first warm sunny day i have available after winter, then again just before the weather turns iffy before winter.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

jackinacabin

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi Darrsi , yes , I will do that ... I don`t want to have to rebuild the caliper again in a hurry... Checked the volts and the battery system is all good and  holding , possibly simply lack of use  had let the battery get low .. all well now ..