Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:06 pm

Author Topic: Rear brake caliper bleed ??  (Read 1180 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
Rear brake caliper bleed ??
« on: 31 March 2019, 11:13:31 am »
Morning foccers my rear brake was feeling a little spongey so decided to bleed it (simple enough i hear you mutter under your breath --Well here goes) one side bleeds nice and clean no probs  however the other side producing more air than Piers morgan with absolutely no sign of clearing --My thought was bleed nipple anyone come across this before an how did you resolve it --thanks for any input --20 minute job now into hour 2-- :o
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake caliper bleed ??
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2019, 12:29:15 pm »
Had a similar problem when I changed the brake line on my thou. I took the caliper off and suspended it higher than the resevoir. If you've got access to a "hypodermic", you could try reverse bleeding, by introducing the fluid via the nipple and watching for bubbles in the resevoir. One other thought is air getting past the nipple threads. Possibly some ptfe tape wrapped around the nipple. One final suggestion, after you've bled it as best you can, leave it overnight with the pedal depressed, either with a heavy weight or by tying it down to something immovable. Good luck :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2019, 12:35:59 pm »
have aready trid ptfe tape to no avail and also tried back bleeding which is why am bit baffled tried bleeding while suspended as well --think ill get couple of new nips tomorrow and start again --thanks
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2019, 01:15:10 pm »

I guess you’re trying to pump the air out. Just loosening the nipple will allow air in the cylinder to escape as it’s always under slight pressure from the reservoir. You might need to twist and turn the caliper slightly while tapping it with a screwdriver handle to help dislodge any small bubbles stuck inside.
The rear brake system is a bit of a pain to bleed because bubbles can also get caught in the master cylinder, slacken the banjo at the top to get rid of any air trapped there.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2019, 02:31:24 pm »
thanks gonna go watch moto gp will try all options tomorrow after work --

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2019, 10:50:27 pm »
You could bleed it at the banjo bolts. Start at the master cylinder and work back. Hold pressure on the lever as you open the bolts. Then tighten them back down while still holding the lever

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Well chaps got to the bottom of the problem--it was a pinhole in the piston due to corrosion hope this helps anyone with similar problems--

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2019, 09:12:51 pm »
Well chaps got to the bottom of the problem--it was a pinhole in the piston due to corrosion hope this helps anyone with similar problems--
So would it be acceptable to smear some ACF50 or - the - like down there during a caliper clean up and service.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2019, 10:31:50 pm »
new pistons will be getting some form of protection befor fitting and during each service from here on --

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2019, 11:14:01 pm »
So would it be acceptable to smear some ACF50 or - the - like down there during a caliper clean up and service.

Red Rubber Grease, which i mistakenly just bought a shiteload of, by accident from not knowing the weight per measure.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile