Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:37 pm

Author Topic: Old man stuff – endoscopy  (Read 5648 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Old man stuff – endoscopy
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2019, 03:02:20 pm »
Sorry to hear this, midden. At least you had a laugh before the wretching ! I was ' lucky ' in that I was able to see in Technicolor the gory details as the camera descended into the stomach. Made me think of the film ' Fantastic Voyage ' from 1966. What were the findings ? Biopsies taken ?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 April 2019, 03:13:01 pm »
They just found a small hiatus hernia and mild antral gastritis  other than that all is good :)  thanks 

As you said before it isn't painful just a bit uncomfortable on the retching side of things, but then I can't wear a gumshield without retching.

VNA any news on yours?
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2019, 03:23:08 pm »
Good to hear that nothing sinister was found. In my case a hiatus hernia was found too, plus an infection in the oesophagus and pharynx, which partly explains the problem swallowing food and keeping it down. In the stomach multiple polyps were found, caused by years of taking Proton Pump Inhibitors. Awaiting biopsy results for these. Onwards and upwards now, hopefully !

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2019, 11:30:45 pm »
Fingers crossed for the biopsy  ;)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2019, 06:42:09 am »
Cheers midden. Much appreciated.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 April 2019, 08:43:11 am »
jesue guys. glad your ok. Got a small hernia myself, hence the godawful reflux thing (especially at night when laying down) and need to find a loo superquick sometimes. theres like a nanosecond between "ooh I might need to poo perhaps" and"oh my god...." :'( :lol you had it done yet VNA? youve gone unusually quiet mate lol hope it went ok if you have
« Last Edit: 15 April 2019, 08:44:08 am by ogri48 »

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2019, 01:31:32 pm »
Thanks ogri. I'm getting concerned about VNA too.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2019, 03:05:03 pm »
Got a small hernia myself, hence the godawful reflux thing
I've been on omeprazole for several years now, and it solves the reflux problem well. I suspect also I've got a hiatus hernia, but never had the camera inspection. From what I've been told it's (another) 'age thing' where the valve doesn't close fully and the acid creeps up. Anybody had the hernia repaired, or any other solution?
I'm worried about VNA too! Lost without him!

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
Where the oesophagus goes down it passes the diaphragm through a gap called the hiatus. Below this it goes into the stomach. The hiatus causes a narrowing of the opening into the stomach and helps prevent stomach contents from going upwards, which is called reflux. If the hiatus is weak reflux of acidic digestive juices into the oesophagus occurs. Depending on individual circumstances there is an operation to tighten the hiatus area, but controlling reflux with medication and lifestyle modifications is usually the route taken by GP's.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 April 2019, 04:20:33 pm »
yup im on omneprazole. where is the bugger?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 April 2019, 05:59:23 pm »
I've been woken in the past with acid relux so bad I thought I was going to die.  my nose and obviously throat was effected at same time   :'(

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 April 2019, 07:15:18 pm »

Hi VNA. Thinking of you this morning as I was undergoing an endoscopy.

What!  You were thinking of me whilst undergoing endoscopy? :eek   You’ve got serious problems dude! :lol
Good to hear it all went fine for you Anquetil.
We'll have to form an endoscopy club.
This place is becoming the old foccers club.   :\

Anyway all done.  Was a bit nervous as like I say I had a very bad experience with the wee winkie cam.

Very professional set up.  Got pre-prep interview, told them I was a bit nervous and why.  Blood pressure was up – surprise surprise.  The pre-prep nurse told me it was two nurses doing it.  Claire and her trainee Lynn.  Was asked if it was OK for the trainee to do it.  I said yes as long as she didn’t mind a nervous patient – I mean folks have gotta learn how to do things.  Was told she needs to do 200 before she is signed off.  Anyway, Claire decided she was doing the first 3 of the afternoon, and I was first in.

To my surprise you don’t get changed or anything.  Two nurses and an assistant.  They gave me plenty of spray.  Got me on the table, gave me the gum shield thing and away we went.  It’s not pleasant.  I wretched a bit when it first went in, and getting down into the stomach was OK where she had a brief look around.  Couldn’t feel anything.  Then she went for the upper bowel.  I can see her feeding it in, and you can sort of feel something which made me wretch again.  I got a bit excited when she came out of there as I thought that was it.  But she wanted a good look round my stomach after the upper bowel.  So just as thought she was coming out, she stopped and fed it back in.  By this time I’m getting keen for it to be over, and retching more and more.  But eventually she pulled the thing out.  I’d say it was 4 or 5 minutes start to finish, no more.  It’s OK but I don’t think I could handle say ten minutes or more of it.

Anyway, I don’t have the hiatus hernia that I had previously been told I have.  I have a slightly relaxed hiatus and some mild gastritis.  Nothing too serious.  So back to the GP.

Back to work tomorrow.  Then Wednesday I’m off to another hospital for lipotripsy to hopefully smash a kidney stone or two.  Happy days.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 April 2019, 07:35:04 pm »
 Yeah I’m fine folks.

I've been on omeprazole for several years now, and it solves the reflux problem well.

About ten years ago I was having a hell of a time with heartburn.  So, got sent to see the consultant.  He told me that I almost certainly had a hiatus hernia.  He said if I really wanted, they could stick the camera in, have a look, and operate on it.  He said if he operated, I’d then need the operation about every ten years.  So he recommended omeprazole.  So I’ve been on 20mg omeprazole daily for about ten years.  I forget to take it and I knew about it.
Ten years later I’m back at square one, constant heartburn and acid coming up now and again.  So see the GP.  I mention the hiatus hernia and the GP asks if they stuck a camera down for a look.  He checks my records as well.  He tells me the only way to know if you have a hiatus hernia is to have a look.  He says – I bet you don’t have one.  I’m like – what?!   So he books me in for the gastroscopy.  Then he recommends dropping me to 10mg omeprazole.
So I try 10mg and the heartburn stops.  Then I try not taking it, and apart from the odd day, is fine. 
My other reason for seeing the GP is I seem to have an irritable bowel.  As some of you know, it’s really annoying.  So, need to see the GP, and discuss the way forward.  Might yet make this a camera hat trick.
But yeah, I feel the consultant ten years back should have stuck the camera in.
Oh yeah I asked Claire how many she does a day.  Average about 40 a day!
Also asked how many get sedated, she said about 50%

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 April 2019, 08:38:19 pm »
really glad your ok and good to see you back feller. despite your best attempts otherwise (and they really are sterling at times  ;) ) you got solid mates here. foccer... ;) :lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 April 2019, 09:15:44 pm »
Thanks for the update VNA.  That's really good news that everything is ok following your endoscopy. Ogri is dead right. People on this forum do care about the well-being of their fellow foccers, even though most won't ever meet. Long may it continue !

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 April 2019, 10:00:10 pm »
really glad your ok and good to see you back feller. despite your best attempts otherwise (and they really are sterling at times  ;) ) you got solid mates here. foccer... ;) :lol

Ta Ogri ya big saft fud ;)

Hey, I’ve only once ever started a political thread.  But if others do, and particularly if I don’t like what’s being said, I’ll pipe up.  But it don’t mean I have to fall oot wi anybody.  There are some pretty bonkers views expressed here at times.

Some times I think I'm the only sane dude on this darn forum :D

But yeah it’s weird, worried aboot getting an endoscopy?  Ask the foccers!

Did ask at work, but only one of my lot have had it.  They sedated him but he still freaked out.  He had it under a GA.  But then he’s super squeamish about stuff.

Oh ah wis gonna watch the screen Anquetil.  I figured I could turn my eyes away from it if I wanted.  But they bunged the gum guard thing in, she picked up the scope, turned the screen away and stuck the scope in ma gob.  To be honest it would have probably just made me wretch even more. 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 April 2019, 11:32:00 pm »
Good to see you back VNA. Let's just do medical comparisons so we can REMAIN healthy  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 April 2019, 11:29:48 am »
lol a lot of us are definitely in a certain club for blokes of a certain age. getting old sucks dunnit fellers...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 April 2019, 06:49:25 pm »
lol a lot of us are definitely in a certain club for blokes of a certain age. getting old sucks dunnit fellers...
The geriatric adventures continue bud,

So, up at 05.30 today and off on the first train to Glasgow.  Walked across the city centre to the old Royal Infirmary, and after what seemed like another mile of walking though the hospital found the Urology department with plenty of time to spare.  Weirdly my appointment time was 08.30 but the notice on the door stated they didn’t open till 08.45  Eh?

So just after 08.30 I chapped the locked door, and yeah, somebody came and let me in.

Booked in, manage to produce a pee sample and saw the consultant for a chat.

Got changed and went for pre-prep.  I tried my best to avoid the anti-inflammatory suppository, I reminded them that I’m mildly asthmatic, but nope I was told one way or another it’s going in.  So, I bent over the table, lifted my gown and before I could say – right I’m ready – the nice female nurse had popped it in.  A quick x-ray, two tramadol and an anti-biotic and I was good to go.

So, into theatre and up onto the lipotripsy machine.  And basically, a nice young motorcyclist called Gary kicked me in my left kidney 3000 times in order to shatter one of my kidney stones.

Annoyingly Gary explained that the current generation of lipotripsy machine with it’s built in x-ray head can see pretty much most of what the big rig next door can.  My stones are mostly really small and they have refused me lipotripsy for a number of years now.  They have refused me because they told me the machine will not be able to see my stones.  There’s also been a long term funding issue in Scotland for lipotripsy.  God knows why, when it’s relatively low risk and effective.  Kidney stones can cause a great deal of distress, cost the NHS a small fortune in emergency admissions to administer morphine  and/or to clear blood clots.  I had asked my consultant several times to refer me even just to let the machine operator to stick me on and have a look – it would take about 2 or 3 minutes to determine if they could be seen.  And not only could Gary’s machine see my small stones but he was able to show me three tiny bits of the shattered stone on the screen which he said should now be small enough to slip out naturally into my bladder with the rest of the stone having been pulverised into grit.

Anyway 40 minutes and 3000 pings and I was done.  Did have to stop for a minute’s rest now and again.  Quite painful, and I even left a nice wee smear of blood on lipotripsy ping head.  Drank a pint of water, did a very bloody pee and I was good to go.  A good friend picked me up and got me back down the road.

Gary and the staff were excellent, first class, had a few good laughs with the staff as well as the next victim for treatment.

So gotta take it easy tomorrow, drink loads of water and take my tablets for a week.  They told me one days rest and I can then do as I please.

So if I’m lucky we’ve just blasted the stone that my kidney keeps trying to reject.  If not, there are two remaining stones in my left kidney, so theoretically another two sessions and I should be pain free for a good while.

There’s five stones in my right kidney but other than the odd twinge, or some dull pain for a few hours once in a blue moon, well so far (fingers crossed) my right kidney hasn’t had a proper go at rejecting them.

So here’s hoping.

« Last Edit: 17 April 2019, 06:53:48 pm by VNA »

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 April 2019, 07:11:08 am »
Well, VNA, you are really having a rough time, healthwise, and you have my sincere sympathies. I had a kidney stone many years ago and the sudden pain dropped me to the floor. Fortunately for me it passed through after a period of time. To have multiple stones does not bear thinking about ! I must admit that I had never heard of a lithotripsy machine. Hope that your health improves and that you can enjoy getting out on the bike now that the good weather has arrived.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 April 2019, 01:57:17 pm »
 Cheers Anquetil,

Ach, just some long term digestive and kidney stone issues.  Hopefully neither will become too serious – touch wood.  Oh yeah and a bad start to the year with shingles and ma bleedin knee playing up.  Ah the joys of getting old.  Sounds terrible but really health wise I’m OK.

I remember well the first time I became aware of kidney stone issues.  Probably coming on 20 years ago. I had a bit of what I thought was mild back pain for a few days.  The pain got worse, then on one visit to the toilet I passed dark red urine and I then threw up.  A few hours later I was calling the NHS line – they told me to take a couple of paracetamols and lie down!  I couldn’t sit still never mind lie down.  In fact, I had to phone for me mammy and get her to call the NHS line again as I could not sit still enough to use the phone.  They dispatched the local GP who gave me a shot of morphine and told me to go to the hospital.  My mammy then drove me to A&E where I was given more morphine and I spent the night there and most of the following day.  And oh, I love morphine. The old kidney x-rays were fun.  They put a bar across to block your ureters, then they produced a half pint sized syringe full of iodine and pumped it into you.  X-ray technology has improve a shit load in the last couple of decades. 

I think lots of people live their whole life with multiple small stones without ever realising they have them.  I’ve just got one right now that wants out.

Lithotripsy machine just fires targeted sound pulses to smash the stone.  The remains of the stone will hopefully now just pass out in my pee. 

The machine I was on yesterday was clearly a lot more sophisticated than the one I was on about 15 years ago.  The big difference seems to be the new one uses some new-fangled live x-ray head to target the stone.  The old machine used ultrasound to find the stone.  I’m wondering if my consultant (not the consultant that I saw yesterday) doesn’t quite fully appreciate what the latest machines can see.  He was keen to put me under and go in with the laser camera, which though a routine procedure, is clearly higher risk and surely much much more expensive. 

A quick search for videos and photos of Lithotripsy and I note some health services sedate people for lithotripsy.  It is quite painful.

Gary told me some folks take 100 shocks, get up and walk out the door.  Some can’t take full power shocks.  I took 300 or 400 at full power and Gary decided to back off 10% as I was struggling a bit.  And he gets little old ladies who lie down, hardly say a word and take the whole 3000 shocks in one run with the vast majority of them at full power.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 April 2019, 02:01:22 pm »
This looks very similar to the machine I was on yesterday.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 April 2019, 02:42:06 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok (ish)  Are you sure you weren't beamed up to an alien ship that looks like one of the alien beds you see in the movies. :D As long as anything that's wrong does not prevent you riding the bike it can' be too bad. :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 April 2019, 03:08:57 pm »
Cheers unfazed.
You rest your kidney against the orange thing, which fires the sound energy pulses in.The stuff on the C arm is the x-ray imaging stuff, which continually updates as the proceedure progresses.
Taking it easy today, drinking loads of water, but yeah I'll be fine for the bike from tomorrow onwards.
Ta.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 November 2019, 12:10:06 pm »
hope they get it sorted feller, kidney problems suck and then some. its been almost forty years since my ops, which were befiore keyhole surgery was an option. got a 14 inch scar on one side, and an 8 inch one on the other, but they work ok. ops nearly killed me mind lol. after each op they leave a stent in from your kidney to your bowel, then go in through your knob six weeks later to pull it out.

I remember going in for the stent removal, having me shower, going back to the hospital bed and waiting for them to take me to theatre. I was cold and afraid, looked at me knob and thought " they'll be lucky if they can find the fucker, let alone pull anything out of it...." :lol

Which is why I’ve been quiet for the last week.  The lipotripsy turned out to be a bit of a waste of time.  Two full sessions which went well, but on review they decided that my little stones must be made of reinforced concrete.  The little stone they attacked was still showing on the x-ray weeks after the second session.

Fortunately, keyhole is available today Ogri.  I say fortunately, well keyhole sounds great, until you figure out that your wee winkie is the keyhole.  So last Monday I had an airline (to inflate my kidney), a camera, laser and a grab stuffed up ma wee winkie.

Consultant told me he expected it to be a straight in and back out job, no stent, no catheter, no problems.  Well afterwards he described my kidney as unfriendly, so he had to stick a stent in to gain access, which got left there for all the shit to drop back out.

The 12-24 hrs after the op were fun filled.  Drank loads of water and couldn’t piss.  I knew what might come next, but I tell you my knob was absolutely red raw.   God only knows what would have happened if they tried to stick a catheter in me - I hate o think.   So, I pleaded for morphine as I figured I was in too much pain to pee.  So they gave me a couple of shots of liquid oral morphine and some other stuff.  20 minutes or so later I managed a piss.  Despite the pain killers I was holding onto the wall in the toilet with both hands, knees wobbling and tears of pain running down my cheeks trying not to scream and wake everybody up in what was now the small hours.

Just gotta wait now till I get the stent back out.  Really looking forward to it – not.

How are you lot? 

I take you are back at work full time BBROWN?