Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:18 pm

Author Topic: Old man stuff – endoscopy  (Read 5664 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Old man stuff – endoscopy
« on: 24 March 2019, 06:34:37 pm »
 Never mind BREXIT, something else much more important has cropped up :eek

I suspect I’m not the only grumpy old man in here.  And foc-u, as we all know, is full of knowledge.  Would appreciate any thoughts on this from those who have had an endoscopy procedure.

I’m booked in for endoscopy to check my stomach and small bowel.  It’s doon the throat.

Now in the past I’ve twice had a camera up ma wee winkie.  I’ve got kidney stone issues, so once in a blue moon they like to have a peek inside ma bladder to make sure all is OK in there.  First time I opted for the local anaesthetic.  To cut a long story short, the second time I had a full general anaesthetic.  No way will I ever be conscious again when they do that to me.

However, this is down my throat.  I have two options.  Local anaesthetic and fully conscious.  Or local anaesthetic and sedated but still conscious.

I have no great fear of general anaesthetics, though I hate the cannula thing.  As soon as I am conscious again, I start asking if they can take it out.  I can be a bit of a pest, but once that thing is out I'm fine.

So the thought of having that cannula stuck in my hand or arm whilst still being conscious to some degree is making me think I should man up and just take the local.  Plus I can just drive up and back myself so I don’t need to inconvenience others.  How hard can this be? 

So anybody had this examination?  What’s it like?  Pain is my big fear.  I hate pain and further not having any control whatsoever over it.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Old man stuff – endoscopy
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2019, 06:44:33 pm »
Cannot help mate im afraid. but ive had the arse one...jeeesus kerrist! I had kidney ops (right and left pyloplasties) in my twenties, which left them both at less than fity percent. so I quite literally feel your pain dude... :o

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2019, 06:57:29 pm »
pyloplasties :eek :eek     eeek.
Hope they are doing the job desipte the reduced capacity bud.  Gosh.

I'm being booked in for a lithotripsy session in the near future.  Had that before, I think some 15 plus years ago.  I'm kinda Ok with the idea of more.

But I probably need to man up again and let the consultant in, up ma wee winkie, with his laser camera.  They can do a lot more that way.  Good thing is my number of stones has reduced slightly over the years without treatment.  But my left kidney every couple of months tries to throw another out.

Anyway I know where I am with all that.
But this endoscopy thing.  I dunno much about it. 

Depending on the results, of course, they may well shove it up ma arse too. :eek
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 06:58:56 pm by VNA »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2019, 07:05:18 pm »

hope they get it sorted feller, kidney problems suck and then some. its been almost forty years since my ops, which were befiore keyhole surgery was an option. got a 14 inch scar on one side, and an 8 inch one on the other, but they work ok. ops nearly killed me mind lol. after each op they leave a stent in from your kidney to your bowel, then go in through your knob six weeks later to pull it out.
I remember going in for the stent removal, having me shower, going back to the hospital bed and waiting for them to take me to theatre. I was cold and afraid, looked at me knob and thought " they'll be lucky if they can find the fucker, let alone pull anything out of it...." :lol :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2019, 07:23:10 pm »

hope they get it sorted feller, kidney problems suck and then some. its been almost forty years since my ops, which were befiore keyhole surgery was an option. got a 14 inch scar on one side, and an 8 inch one on the other, but they work ok. ops nearly killed me mind lol. after each op they leave a stent in from your kidney to your bowel, then go in through your knob six weeks later to pull it out.

Foc  I was thinking it would be before keyhole. :eek :eek :eek   Jesus.   :eek :eek :eek

The only problem with kidney keyhole surgery is the entry point is yer knob.  As you will well know.  The consultant did say that the laser camera is much smaller than the bladder inspection camera – which I’m guessing is just older technology.  That thing is like a bic pen wrapped in a thick layer of heat shrink.  The first time with the local I squealed like a stuffed foccin pig.  The pain was just off the scale.   The doctor carrying out the procedure told me to man up.  At that point I sat up – I wanted to get hold of him but I couldn’t move for the camera up ma knob – I called him a foccing cunt – which honestly is not like me at all.   It was mentul.  I then collapsed back and almost passed out.  They just shoved a bit of local up ma knob, and seconds later shoved the camera in – I don’t think it had any time to take.  Never, ever again.  No way.

One of the lads at work had a stent put in his kidney.  He said he couldn't get comfortable until they took it back out weeks later.

Anyway, I hope all is good with you now Ogri.  It’s piddling stuff in comparison that I’m getting worked up about.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2019, 08:52:10 pm »
I've had 2 endoscopys over the years and they were both ok.. went for local anaesthetic both times no probs and drove home after the results a few hours

iater..can't imagine trying to get a camera down

my little japeye tho', that sounds painful !!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2019, 10:10:53 pm »
 That sounds positive cl1ve.  Cheers.
I don't much fancy being sedated, so maybe I'll try just the local.  Worst outcome I guess is a fail and I'll just have to go back for a second shot under sedation.

When I first got the camera doon ma wee winkie, well it was my fourth appointment as they kept cancelling due to technical issues.  When I turned up they told me there would be a bit of a wait due to one of the machines breaking down again.  So after a longish wait in a room full of nervous looking blokes I went for pre-prep.

The nurse kept going on about how folks find it embarrassing.  I told her I didn’t give a shit.  As far as I was concerned, they could do it in an auditorium with a 150 student nurses and doctors looking on.  They could walk me down the corridor naked – whatever.  Being embarrassed was not what was on my mind.  She assured me I would not feel a thing.

I figure with appointments having turned up for two machines, and a big backlog, they were just ramming folks through on one.  It was foccing agony.  I just figure the bleedin Doc didn’t wait long enough for the aesthetic to take.  He just wanted to hit his KPIs.  So from now on they can knock me out for that.

« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 10:11:42 pm by VNA »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2019, 10:22:45 pm »
they were just ramming folks through on one.
:eek

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2019, 08:06:50 am »
Hi VNA, sorry to hear of your health issues. I had an upper GI endoscopy nine years ago. Local anaesthetic was sprayed on the back of my throat to prevent the gagging reflex and to allow me to swallow the camera. This was done without any problems, with the camera stopping at the esophogeal sphincter.  Just had an urgent referral from the GP for another , but continuing into the stomach. I shall be having the local anaesthetic again, given the choice.Hope that everything goes well for you.

pete786.u

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2019, 01:35:41 pm »
I`ve had a few endoscopys in the past 15 years or so, both sedated and under local anasthetic ( throat spray) Had numerous  biopsys taken as I was part of a study into Barretts Oesophugus. Cant say the throat spray is very comfortable but at least I could get myself to the Hospital and home again without having to get someone to take me home. If you don`t mind the discomfort of knowing whats going on all the time throat spray is probably the best option. Good luck whichever way you chose to go.   

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2019, 04:01:37 pm »
Now if you were talking about up the pisser then I’ve wrote the book on that, but down the throat, sorry can’t help, best of luck though.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2019, 08:41:12 pm »
 Cheers fellas.
Don’t mind a bit of discomfort, or bricking it a wee bit, as long as there is no real pain or nasty surprises.
I guess I’ll maybe try the local.  Worst that can happen is I bottle it, which means they’ll just have me back at a later for the sedation.
I might be overthinking it due to the bad experience with the knob cam.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2019, 10:35:44 am »
its whatever it takes to get it sorted I guess. It'll be worth it in the end. Cant be putting off stuff like this feller. this getting old lark sucks and then some dunnit mate ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2019, 05:48:39 pm »
I'm booked in Ogri - so we'll see what happens.Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but yeah better get checked over.Cheers bud.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2019, 06:39:04 pm »
Hi VNA, hope it all goes well for you.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2019, 07:44:03 pm »
Thanks Bbrown.
How are you doing?  Back on the bike yet?
Hope the eyes are improving.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2019, 08:37:06 am »
Back on the bike yet?

Was out in France last week and took the Tiger out for a couple of hours so, yes, the eyes are getting better. Been back at work a month now with a graduated return and full time now on that too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2019, 06:58:04 pm »
2hrs on the bike sounds good.Hope those eyes get back to 100%.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2019, 10:50:34 am »
Few years back I had a camera endoscopy but it was a small unit about the size of a jelly bean which I just swallowed and then wore a camera for 24 hours. Maybe you could ask them if this is an option?Had one up the nose, cough, retch.Then again I had a colonoscopy which was a pain in the arse.
Good luck. ;)
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2019, 07:16:53 pm »
What?  Was the colonoscopy tae get the camera back :eek

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2019, 12:04:18 pm »
Hi VNA. Thinking of you this morning as I was undergoing an endoscopy. I had the Xylocaine spray in throat and the camera was inserted. A little bit of retching as the throat was sprayed but apart from that everything was fine. Scope into stomach and duodenum and I watched the images on screen. Biopsies taken from stomach, didn't feel anything. Don't be fearful, you will be fine. All the best to you. When are you booked in for ?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2019, 04:35:59 pm »
I'm Looking forward to having one on Sunday.  Perhaps they'll find the crown I swallowed years ago ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 April 2019, 05:16:10 pm »
We'll have to form an endoscopy club. Seems to be a few of us having them. Hope everything is good on Sunday, midden.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 April 2019, 05:36:10 pm »
Cheers it should be...…. more doing it for the craic  ;)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2019, 12:20:35 pm »

Well that was no fun at all...….the waiting was, I meant a real character who made me grin even more :)

the throat spray wasn't bad it tasted similar to my banana wine  and then the experience went down from then on.

Worse part I was facing away from the monitor so never got watch it between wretching  :'(