• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZR1000 Exup RU, RD350lc
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: 23 March 2019, 01:52:50 am »
Hello,

I'm looking to downsize a bit from my current shopping and general running around bike (1991 FZR1000 Exup RU) so looking at buying a 600 Fazer.

I've had bikes for over 35 years and as well as the Fzr have an Aprilia Falco as my other road bike. Also have 350lc and a Kettle in the process of restoration.

I'm leaning towards a Foxeye but wouldn't rule out a Boxeye if one appeared at the right price. I'm away from home working for the next 3 weeks so keeping an eye on the usual sites and lining some up for when I get home.

Had a good read through the forum and got a good idea what I'm looking at so thanks already.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2019, 12:28:53 pm »
Hi ;) Both are good bikes. The biggest thing to look for is the front sprocket nut. The original nut can come loose and ruin the threads on the output shaft. When you're looking at the bike bring a set of allen keys and a 10mm socket and take the sprocket cover off and check the nut and the back of the sprocket cover. There's a few threads on here about it. Checking it should only take 5 minutes but it could save you from an engine swap or a rebuild to replace the output shaft. Another thing to check is the exhaust nuts and studs. The original exhaust rusts and the nuts and studs rust and seize together. If you have to replace the exhaust and you snap a stud it's a lot of work to replace them. A bit of surface rust is fine but if they're badly rusted I'd probably walk away from the bike. Another thing to check is the rear caliper. It seizes because the caliper hangs under the disk so all the brake dust builds up in the caliper. With the bike on the center stand spin the rear wheel. It should spin with just a small bit of drag. If it's stiff the rear caliper probably needs a rebuild with new seals. Another thing to check is cam chain noise. They all make a bit of cam chain noise so a bit of noise is usually not a problem. Do a search on youtube for "fazer cam chain tick before" and "fazer cam chain tick after". A guy put up a video of his noise cam chain so you'll know what to listen for. The bike has an automatic tensioner so usually the tensioner advances and the noise goes away but on some bikes the tensioner is fully advanced you'll need a new cam chain. They are the main things to check; the front sprocket nut, exhaust nuts and studs, rear caliper, excessive cam chain noise.