Date: 16-04-24  Time: 20:12 pm

Author Topic: Old measuring equipment  (Read 2709 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Old measuring equipment
« on: 18 March 2019, 12:14:54 am »
I'd like to get some measuring equipment for using on bike engines. There's a lot of old used Mitutoyo micrometers and the likes for sale on ebay. My question for anyone who's experienced using measuring equipment is, would it be a waste of money buying old measuring equipment since you don't know how well it's been looked after or does good quality measuring equipment generally stay in spec? I was thinking about buying an old set of micrometers and then getting them checked with slip gauges. Is that a waste of money? Do you need new ones for checking engines?

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Old measuring equipment
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2019, 05:32:37 pm »
What are you going to measure? you lost me after Mitutoyo micrometers, :lol is this for rebuilding engines or checking tolerances ? slip gauges?drrrr my brain's froze, :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2019, 06:02:48 pm »
I'd like to get some measuring equipment for using on bike engines. There's a lot of old used Mitutoyo micrometers and the likes for sale on ebay. My question for anyone who's experienced using measuring equipment is, would it be a waste of money buying old measuring equipment since you don't know how well it's been looked after or does good quality measuring equipment generally stay in spec? I was thinking about buying an old set of micrometers and then getting them checked with slip gauges. Is that a waste of money? Do you need new ones for checking engines?

Micrometers are adjustable, they used to come with a small c type tool for adjusting. They only really go out of adjustment when they are used a G clamps (overtightened on the object being measured). To put it in context, I've a set of mics from 0-25mm all the wat up to 150mm, and an internal with all of the various anvils. Never used any of them since I retired from work 3 years ago, and likely never will. What I di use, is the digital caliper, fairly regularly. You can get them for around a tenner form the likes if Lidl and Aldi. Easier to read, cheap the replace, and I would have thought more than adequate for 99.9% of bike maintenance. As for slip gauges, last time I saw a set for sale, they were very expensive.

Digital caliper is the way to go

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2019, 06:15:50 pm »
Yep,digital caliper,never without one. :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
Got all of them, so spoilt for choice. My non digital verniers get used most often though.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2019, 09:27:12 pm »
I've got drawers full of of measuring equipment including a set of Starrett imperial mics from 0- 10 inch, set of Mitutoyo metric mics from 0-250mm, and a almost unused Mitutoyo digital caliper, but like agricola I tend to use a Lidl digital caliper that cost less than a tenner!
« Last Edit: 18 March 2019, 09:28:13 pm by Rob R »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2019, 09:42:01 pm »

Like others, I still have my old Micrometers, Verniers etc from 30  yrs ago but I look after them. As said by Agricola, the micrometer will be ok if it hasn't been used as a G clamp...like wise the verniers will be ok as long as them haven't been used as a crowbar. The problem is you won't know how 2nd hand units have been used. Find an old boy who's having a clear out and you should be fine. Apart from that I wouldn't buy 2nd's to use as a true measurement. Just my 2p...
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2019, 11:16:32 pm »
Still got my imperial More & Wrights of Sheffield Mic, and my Vernier Gauges, agrees with earlier comment the vernier gauge is the most usfull one unless you working down to I thou of an inch, a piece of normal printer paper is 4.5 thou thick, just used mic on it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2019, 11:21:35 pm »
Just noticed it needs an oily rag rubbing over it, probably the second time its been out of the box for about 20 years

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2019, 12:00:48 am »
You lot are really clever foccers. :eek

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2019, 10:23:09 am »
I suppose I should consider making a bit of cash and selling mine, but to be honest, I dont think they are worth much these days. Guess Ill follow Tommy and give em a good clean, then put them back again

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2019, 08:04:41 pm »
Just noticed it needs an oily rag rubbing over it, probably the second time its been out of the box for about 20 years
It would be interesting to measure some slip gauges and see if it is still accurate after all those years

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
I suppose I should consider making a bit of cash and selling mine, but to be honest, I dont think they are worth much these days. Guess Ill follow Tommy and give em a good clean, then put them back again
I'd hang onto it. It's nice to have a tool that's real quality. Most tools are made to be thrown away now

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2019, 08:12:10 pm »

Like others, I still have my old Micrometers, Verniers etc from 30  yrs ago but I look after them. As said by Agricola, the micrometer will be ok if it hasn't been used as a G clamp...like wise the verniers will be ok as long as them haven't been used as a crowbar. The problem is you won't know how 2nd hand units have been used. Find an old boy who's having a clear out and you should be fine. Apart from that I wouldn't buy 2nd's to use as a true measurement. Just my 2p...
I'll keep a look out for a well cared for set. Engineers generally look after their equipment so with a bit of patience I should be able to find a good set. 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2019, 08:20:55 pm »
What are you going to measure? you lost me after Mitutoyo micrometers, :lol is this for rebuilding engines or checking tolerances ? slip gauges?drrrr my brain's froze, :lol
Mitutoyo is a company that makes top quality measuring equipment https://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/en_gb/

Slip gauges are precision blocks that you check you measuring equipment against. A tool maker or engineer that does fine measurements would have a set of slip gauges to check the accuracy of his measuring tool against https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block

If you look through the engine section of the manual it shows what you'd be measuring. You could measure most things in an engine with a set of micrometers, a set of bore gauges, a dial indicator and plastigauge

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2019, 08:55:16 pm »
Liking this one for starters.....in it's original case (always a plus) with tag and from up North where most engineering was done.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Moore-and-Wright-Micrometer-No961-Cased/192853930273?hash=item2ce6fd7121:g:4aEAAOSwYu1chi0b

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2019, 09:48:07 pm »
That's a nice one but the bike manual is all in metric so I'd be going for a metric one.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2019, 02:29:21 pm »
Found these at the local boot sale this morning to go with my old M&W metric micrometer. Bargain at 50p each :) ....

« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 08:07:46 pm by YamFazFan »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2019, 02:47:48 pm »
Being a Brickie and just out my time I was setting out an extension to very posh house I asked the gaffer how accurate I had to be, the answer  "Just go to the right address"

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2019, 08:36:30 pm »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol aint it the truth. You ever jumped on someone elses work after thry've been sacked and found theres a pig in the brickwork mate? I had it once on a garage base. No windows so no chance of losing it. told the customer,  (An Asian fellow) and he said , just take it up regardless. I said 'no thanks...' ;)
« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 08:37:29 pm by ogri48 »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 December 2019, 08:18:12 pm »
Another recent car boot sale bargain. 'The Modern Motor Engineer'. First published 1927. This reprint 1959. Complete set comprising 5 volumes, beautifully illustrated. £5 the lot.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 08:18:22 pm by YamFazFan »