Date: 16-04-24  Time: 09:22 am

Author Topic: basic schoolboy error  (Read 1048 times)

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
basic schoolboy error
« on: 11 March 2019, 08:12:53 pm »
Whilst being in a rush to strip down my forks to paint and fit new seals and 15w oil i had made a basic schoolboy error that i'm pretty ashamed of, i didnt remember which way the springs came out
when refitting the springs do the closer coils go to the top??
I havent filled them with oil as of yet until i get the headsup  :oops ah the shame

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
Re: basic schoolboy error
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2019, 08:30:02 pm »
yes, closer wound coils to top

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2019, 08:46:45 pm »
Make sure you get the correct oil level too for the year of the bike (with the adjusters).
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2019, 08:48:01 pm »
There's a good write up with pictures http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,42.0.html

It's going to take the same amount of force to compress them no matter what way they go in so I don't see how it would make any difference but it makes sense to stick with the way Yamaha did it just in case there is a difference.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2019, 09:56:35 pm »
There's a good write up with pictures http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,42.0.html

It's going to take the same amount of force to compress them no matter what way they go in so I don't see how it would make any difference but it makes sense to stick with the way Yamaha did it just in case there is a difference.

If the narrower, tighter section of the coil was at the lower end then you could not guarantee that they would sit central upon compression and may drift to one side of the fork.. T'other way round the coil will always compress the same.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2019, 10:59:14 pm »

If the narrower, tighter section of the coil was at the lower end then you could not guarantee that they would sit central upon compression and may drift to one side of the fork.. T'other way round the coil will always compress the same.

;)

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2019, 07:32:47 am »
Thanks fellas.... i can crawl out from under the rock now.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2019, 09:14:50 am »
It's easily done, thinking you'll remember something in a few days time which appears to be glaringly obvious when taken apart. For years I've had a white board for using non permanent markers on the garage wall, to make notes or scribble a sketch of a part on, or list the torque settings of what I'm about to work on rather than thumb through the manual with oily fingers when rebuilding said item.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2019, 11:11:31 am »
It's easily done, thinking you'll remember something in a few days time which appears to be glaringly obvious when taken apart. For years I've had a white board for using non permanent markers on the garage wall, to make notes or scribble a sketch of a part on, or list the torque settings of what I'm about to work on rather than thumb through the manual with oily fingers when rebuilding said item.

White board is a great idea. I have the FZS600 Manual downloaded on my mobile phone, which ends up with the oily marks, after I have to refer to it to check the correct torque for some bolts, while re-fitting parts!