Date: 16-04-24  Time: 17:24 pm

Author Topic: What USB 3.1 ports are you using on your bike to charge smart phones ?  (Read 1194 times)

Sandscorcher

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I'm touring Scotland for 6 days in May  :) I would like to be able to charge my phone while riding.Last time up tgere I had a usb2 charge port on the bike but it wouldn't charge my Samsung s8.Just wondering what usb3.1 ports you already use to charge your smart phones.Any constructive advice appreciated.
Thanks  ;)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
I could be wrong fella but I thought the difference was that USB 3 ports are about 10 times faster than USB 2.

The S8 would need a decent charge so your issue may have been that your previous USB 2 just didn't have the VA rating sufficient to power your phone. I've had USB adaptors for my old car to plug in the cigarette socket and some would barely charge my S7 phone whilst others would storm it.

Like I say, I could be wrong and someone who knows more will be along soon...........
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Sandscorcher

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Maybe your right there Fella, maybe I'll buy a couple of battery packs instead and charge them before I go.

I could be wrong fella but I thought the difference was that USB 3 ports are about 10 times faster than USB 2.

The S8 would need a decent charge so your issue may have been that your previous USB 2 just didn't have the VA rating sufficient to power your phone. I've had USB adaptors for my old car to plug in the cigarette socket and some would barely charge my S7 phone whilst others would storm it.

Like I say, I could be wrong and someone who knows more will be along soon...........

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
I was wondering about this. USB 3 may be faster than USB 2, but isn't that to do with data transfer speeds, but that's not really what is important for charging? I've got a USB car charger which puts out about 2.4 amps but hardly seems to charge the phone at all. I think my home charger puts out about 5 amps which does the job quickly.
So is it amps we're after?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
I've got a USB car charger which puts out about 2.4 amps but hardly seems to charge the phone at all. I think my home charger puts out about 5 amps which does the job quickly.

Are you sure about those figures? My Samsung fast charger puts out 5v at 2 amps. I'd have thought 5 amps would be likely to fry something!

The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices.

A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

https://superuser.com/questions/690074/what-is-the-power-output-of-a-usb-port#690077

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Are you sure about those figures?
Probably not  :o All I know is my car usb charger seems to make foc all difference

Sandscorcher

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I've ordered a (MOTOPOWER MP0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter Cable off Amazon)Probably add in a switch so it's not constantly live.
Gets it's chance  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 March 2019, 08:36:34 am by Sandscorcher »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
I just use a car cigarette lighter adaptor which has 2 outputs, 2.1a and 1.0a. The 2.1a kept my s8 charged ok on my week trip last year. The benefit of the cigarette lighter socket is you can also charge power packs or run a mini compressor if you're unlucky and get a puncture.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Same as Robbo  cigarette lighter, very reliable,, then buy plug in twin port usb,,oh and something to hold it in
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.