Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:55 am

Author Topic: Bike turntable / dolly recommendations  (Read 1798 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Bike turntable / dolly recommendations
« on: 02 March 2019, 02:03:56 pm »
Currently I have a narrow door on the shed where I store my bike (only just wider than the bars on my FZ6)  which exits at 90 degrees to an alley way which is about the same width as the bike is long.
What I have to do is manoeuvre the bike out through the door and then go back and forth a few times until I can turn it enough to point it down the alleyway and ride out.
When I park, I have to pull up past the door then wheel the bike backwards to get it through the door again. Sometimes I get the line up right, other times I have to move it back and forth until I can get it to go in without getting stuck on the bars or side stand or rear brake lever!

What I want to do is to replace the door with a much wider one, then I can ride the bike in to park it. Obviously to ride the bike out, I'd need to turn it around, so I was thinking of getting a turntable or a "dolly" to make this easier as I can't do the trick where you lean the bike on the side stand and spin it around.
Has anyone used one of these? Can anyone make any recommendations?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Bike turntable / dolly recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2019, 02:45:25 pm »

I use one of these
  http://www.matturntable.com/online_shop.html
  I've had it for years, they last forever, they're a bit pricier now than when I bought mine though.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2019, 07:48:41 pm »

I use one of these
  http://www.matturntable.com/online_shop.html
  I've had it for years, they last forever, they're a bit pricier now than when I bought mine though.
I made one of those a few years ago cause I didn't want to pay the price. It was two sheets of 3mm plastic with a flat flange head machine screw bolt in the middle I found I needed to glue a cheap rubber car mat on the top disk because the stand would slip when I twisted the bike around. To reduce friction between the two discs I used some grease. It worked ok.
If you can set it into the floor you could make something better with plywood and ball baring wheels. I say set it in the floor as it would be quite thick.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2019, 11:04:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I've been thinking about this some more and come up with a few pros and cons.

The dolly is more versatile because I could move the bike around as well as just being able to rotate it. Also I wouldn't have to stop in an exact position for the turntable (especially if I fixed it into the ground), because I could move the dolly under the centre stand.

The disadvantages with the dolly include that it's higher than the turntable, so it would be harder to get the bike onto it. Given I already have to stand on the centre stand peg and lift the bike up to get it in place, that could be an issue. Also the concrete on the floor of the shed isn't very smooth, so a dolly with small castor wheels may not move very smoothly and I don't want a wheel to get stuck if I'm moving the bike around and have it fall off!

The dolly is cheaper, although making up a cheap DIY turntable isn't out of the question.

Anyone got any other suggestions or comments?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2019, 11:23:36 pm »
Have you every tried rotating the bike using only the side stand (very quick n easy)....or is the shed big enough to do this ?
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2019, 10:19:21 am »
Ive got one of the dollys , easy to use when the bikes on it but as you have already said it is a bit of pain getting the bike on it , got to offset it on the dolly to make room for the foot lever on the stand , if your using the bike daily I woud go for the turntable set into the floor , more work I know but ideally I would make one bike sized ie both wheels on the turntable and on the side stand .
« Last Edit: 03 March 2019, 10:22:47 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2019, 10:57:20 pm »
Ive got one of the dollys , easy to use when the bikes on it but as you have already said it is a bit of pain getting the bike on it , got to offset it on the dolly to make room for the foot lever on the stand , if your using the bike daily I woud go for the turntable set into the floor , more work I know but ideally I would make one bike sized ie both wheels on the turntable and on the side stand .

I don't use the bike daily, but it's two or three times a week.

I've looked at the full sized turntables where you ride on and it's under the front and back wheels and side stand too, but I think that would be excessive.

Based on what people have said, I'm definitely tending more towards the smaller turntable for the centre stand rather than the dolly, especially given the slightly iffy surface, but I'll hold off on the final decision until after I get the shed door sorted.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2019, 06:40:40 am »
Yep...I think you got the best solution there , something else though , you mentioned the alley way which is as wide as the bike is long , could you put the turning device in the alley , or is it shared..........
One, is never going to be enough.....

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2019, 11:39:40 am »
you mentioned the alley way which is as wide as the bike is long , could you put the turning device in the alley , or is it shared..........

It's shared. Also there's a gutter running down the middle...!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2019, 01:40:36 pm »
Make your own turntable with this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007U6CWNU/ref=asc_df_B007U6CWNU58690993/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B007U6CWNU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=221531457315&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=253874169427523955&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046178&hvtargid=pla-422911488621
Here's one in action

« Last Edit: 04 March 2019, 01:41:20 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2019, 02:47:16 am »
Interesting, thanks for that :thumbup

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2019, 01:06:15 pm »
Make your own turntable with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007U6CWNU/ref=asc_df_B007U6CWNU58690993/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B007U6CWNU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=221531457315&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=253874169427523955&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046178&hvtargid=pla-422911488621
Here's one in action
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCSMNJArWIY

Now THAT's a very interesting option. Plus you could fabricate your own Base that you'd screw into the ready made holes in the top rotating section.
You'd want this operating on a completely flat space however, as if there's a slight gradient, the bike could begin to swing round (at the heaviest end) at speed and topple over.

EDIT: Would I have to notify the wife though, that technically I have a 'lazy susan' waited for me when I get back from my bike rides, hiding in the garage??  :b  :lol
« Last Edit: 11 March 2019, 01:09:40 pm by F4celess »