Date: 18-04-24  Time: 09:23 am

Author Topic: Front brakes.  (Read 1056 times)

rocky1966

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front brakes.
« on: 28 February 2019, 08:39:41 pm »
My front brakes on my 2003 fzs600 are sticking, it's only done 8,000 miles from new. I've just wound pistons back in.re fitted. And there still binding .is it worth talking the caliper off, pulling pistons out, lightly cleaning and re fitting, WITHOUT, buying a new seal kit, which are quite expensive for both sides, if buying genuine. I've heard using 1500 grit sandpaper on pistons, and leaving old brake & dust seals in. Then just refit nice clean pistons. Any thoughts , anyone ?????

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Front brakes.
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2019, 08:55:38 pm »
The calipers I've done the problem has always been from a chewed up dust seal or corrosion and dirt behind the dust seal pushing it out of it's groove. Either way the dust seal was stopping the piston moving freely and needed to be replaced. I'd recommend Yamaha seals the after market ones are a bit hit and miss in my opinion whereas you know the Yamaha ones will fit and be good quality

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2019, 09:00:42 pm »
 I wouldn't use anything abrasive on caliper pistons or take them out without replacing the seals, the lips are easily damaged. It might be worth pumping out the pistons with a block of wood between them so they don't pop out them giving them a good clean with a toothbrush and brake cleaner then use red rubber grease on them and work them in and out a few times. Remember to wipe the excess grease off it'll attract all sorts of crap it you don't. Hope this helps, good luck.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2019, 09:05:08 pm by vinnyb »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2019, 09:03:37 pm »
You could carefully pump the pistons out a little & apply some red rubber grease to them, that may work otherwise apart from the pistons being corroded the piston seals will need to be replaced as they have swollen causing the pistons failing to return. I wouldn't recommend displacing the pistons without fitting new seals.     

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2019, 11:02:28 pm »
I wouldn't use anything abrasive on caliper pistons or take them out without replacing the seals, the lips are easily damaged. It might be worth pumping out the pistons with a block of wood between them so they don't pop out them giving them a good clean with a toothbrush and brake cleaner then use red rubber grease on them and work them in and out a few times. Remember to wipe the excess grease off it'll attract all sorts of crap it you don't. Hope this helps, good luck.

:agree . The brakes are essentially 15yrs old and like most mechanical parts need servicing. I'd start with above and include cleaning the pad slide pins - a bit of red grease there wouldn't go amiss. About an hour's work if you're very thorough and competent.

If this doesn't improve then you need to look at fitting new seals. Agree that no sandpaper required.

You may feel that the seals are expensive but the question is - "would you like to stop in time"....simple answer really. Look after the bike and it will look after you.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2019, 07:41:09 am »
I fitted some aftermarket seals on the blue spots a few years ago, they were sifam brand. I've had no problems so far, but I may have been lucky. I 'lapped' the ends of the pots with some fine wet and dry on a glass table and polished the journal surfaces with a bench mounted industrial buffer. Other than that I wouldn't recommend taking any abrasives to the pots as others have stated. If any of the pots are very badly pitted replace them. I had to replace the pot on the rear brake. I'm with everyone else fella, buy the very best you can afford and if in doubt seek the help of someone with hands on experience or your local bike mechanic.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2019, 07:42:17 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2019, 03:36:30 pm »
It’s normally always the dust seals. Crap and corrosion behind them. In my experience you can get away with cleaning the groove and stick em back in most of the time.