Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 400 and other models

Fazer 400 High Beam Issue

(1/3) > >>

Gizmo:
Any help with this issue please?

Please click the link below...

Fazer 400 Video CLICK HERE!

His Dudeness:
Your low beam is working correctly. Try getting the low beams on then press the pass switch on the handle bar. Does the high beam come on? If it does the problem must be the high beam connection in the handle bar switch. If it doesn't come on a bit more testing is required but the fact that the low beam is working correctly means the problem has to be from the high beam handle bar switch to the high beam in the bulb. Either a problem in the handle bar switch, a break in the high beam wire or a problem with the bulbs.

His Dudeness:
The right bulb is a H4R 12V 60W/35W. I think a H4 is 60/55W. The Jap import bikes have 35W low beam whereas European bikes have 55W low beam so you should probably get the 35W bulb but your high beam should still work with the H4 bulb.

The low beam is working correctly. The low beam should only come on when the AC magneto is turning so when you're cranking the engine on the starter or the engine is running. I'll try and explain how it works but if it doesn't make sense don't worry about it, it doesn't matter to fixing the problem.

How it works is if you look at the wiring diagram in the download section there's a wire connected to one of the phases of the AC magneto so there's Alternating Current on that wire when the engine is turning over. That wire then goes to a diode. Diodes block current in one direction and allow it to flow in the other direction so the diode blocks half of the AC sine wave going through the wire so the diode converts the AC to a pulsed DC. That DC goes to the control side of a relay and energises the control side of the relay which closes the switched side of the relay. The switched side of the relay connects back up through a second diode back to the control side of the same relay so that means once the relay is switched on it stays on because it's using it's own switched output to energise it's control side so it stays on. I think it's called latching. That's why once the low beam comes on it stays on even if the engine stops turning.  The switched side of the relay then sends current to the switch on the handle bar. The handle bar switch sends current to either the low or high beam wire. The current then goes through high beam or low beam wiring to the connector at the bulb and then through the high beam or low beam filament in the bulb to ground.

The wiring up to the handle bar switch is the same for the low beam and high beam so the fact that the low beam is working means the problems has to be between the handle bar switch to the high beam part of the bulb. A quick test for the handle bar switch is to get the low beams on then press the pass switch. It's on the back side of the handle bar switches. Does the high beam come on? If it does then that shows the problem is in the handle bar switch.

Gizmo:
Well, before seeing this I took the bar switch apart and cleaned it. Now for some reason I have no dip beam, nor do I have a rear light or a break light. All fuses are in tact. What is going on with this bloody motor? Biggest problem with the wiring diagram is I don't fully understand it, nor can I read Japanese. :D

His Dudeness:
I feel your pain I only learned how to read them recently. Check the "head" fuse. Power for the low beam and tail light comes through the head fuse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version