Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:13 pm

Author Topic: Lowered font suspension  (Read 700 times)

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
Lowered font suspension
« on: 26 February 2019, 07:02:35 pm »
I've just noticed my forks have been lowered by about 10mm through the yokes.  Is this a common thing and what does it rectify/add to the handling of the bike? 

It's a 2002 box eye version.  I think everything else is stock.......... But then you might know better.  I've only had it 1 week so I'm just getting to have a better look at things.

I'm not a racer, I ride fairly sensibly. Do I Leave it or do I put it back to stock settings?  Whichever decision, why?

My thoughts are that I'm sure Yamaha with all of its computers and tech wizards must have designed it with that geometry for a reason so why alter it?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2019, 07:09:00 pm by Mike1962 »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Lowered font suspension
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 07:35:09 pm »
I guess you mean you have 10mm of tube sticking up through the top yoke? At the need of the day, its your decision, but riders do things to bikes to try to improve them, as they see it. It may be that the rear suspension has been lowered, or a different shock fitted, and the front has been lowered in conjunction with that. Or perhaps a previous owner had short legs and lowered them to get more foot on the deck. Lowering the front has the effect of making the bike turn in a little quicker. Its an easy piece of work to set it back up to stock, or try lowering it a little more and see if you can feel the difference. Trial and error to suit you and your riding "style" really. Mines lowered 35mm at the rear and 30mm at the front

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
I guess you mean you have 10mm of tube sticking up through the top yoke? At the need of the day, its your decision, but riders do things to bikes to try to improve them, as they see it. It may be that the rear suspension has been lowered, or a different shock fitted, and the front has been lowered in conjunction with that. Or perhaps a previous owner had short legs and lowered them to get more foot on the deck. Lowering the front has the effect of making the bike turn in a little quicker. Its an easy piece of work to set it back up to stock, or try lowering it a little more and see if you can feel the difference. Trial and error to suit you and your riding "style" really. Mines lowered 35mm at the rear and 30mm at the front
Is yours lowered for handling or feet on the floor?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2019, 07:43:03 pm »
Originaly for feet on the floor, I experimented with the front after dropping the rear. I love the way it turns in now, I also changed the front oil and went for 10W. Mines an FZ6 S2 Fazer
« Last Edit: 26 February 2019, 07:44:13 pm by agricola »

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2019, 07:45:14 pm »
Originaly for feet on the floor, I experimented with the front after dropping the rear. I love the way it turns in now, I also changed the front oil and went for 10W. Mines an FZ6 S2 Fazer
Food for thought!   Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2019, 08:19:16 pm »

Yeah, be careful, ‘cos your bike is different.
10w fork oil is standard on the FZS, a good upgrade is 15w which will firm up the handling for the better.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.