Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:36 am

Author Topic: personal breakdown cover for multi bike owners  (Read 1563 times)

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
personal breakdown cover for multi bike owners
« on: 24 February 2019, 06:45:31 pm »
Hi

Since getting the Fazer I've now got two bikes to think about with regard to recovery should an accident or breakdown occur.  I can fix most things but for maybe £8 a month it's maybe worth the cost.  When I've been looking they websites always revert to car quotes which I obviously don't need.

Who do you use?

Who gives value for money?

Who to avoid?

Prices paid?

cheers

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: personal breakdown cover for multi bike owners
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2019, 07:05:51 pm »
I insure multi-bikes with Carole Nash. Not necessarily the cheapest policy compared to Bennets (shocking service, will never use them again) but the included breakdown gives peace of mind. Never used it mind.

Had a bad experience with the RAC about 15 years ago with a catastrophic wheel failure on a 400 Wetdream. Left me at the side of the road for approx 3 hours on a busy dual carriageway. Not nice!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2019, 07:09:57 pm »
RAC do personal cover.  So whatever you are driving/riding you are covered.I've called them out a few times over the years for punctures, always had good service myself.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2019, 07:13:14 pm »
I use LV for breakdown (although not to insure the bikes). Personal cover gives you breakdown for any vehicle, car or bike, you are travelling in as rider/driver or even as a passenger.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2019, 08:03:04 pm »
RAC do personal cover.  So whatever you are driving/riding you are covered.I've called them out a few times over the years for punctures, always had good service myself.

To be fair, I think my issue was that I’d told them it was in a bad way and needed to be recovered. But their first action is to try and repair. Unfortunately I knew best as I’d been snaking down the road with a smashed rear wheel hub, chain wrapped round the swinging arm and snaking down the road! Luckily the chain snapped eventually. I guess most of ‘Joe Public’ wouldn’t have the mechanical knowledge to assess the situation so they probably don’t believe anybody.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2019, 08:30:00 pm »

To be fair, I think my issue was that I’d told them it was in a bad way and needed to be recovered. But their first action is to try and repair. Unfortunately I knew best as I’d been snaking down the road with a smashed rear wheel hub, chain wrapped round the swinging arm and snaking down the road! Luckily the chain snapped eventually. I guess most of ‘Joe Public’ wouldn’t have the mechanical knowledge to assess the situation so they probably don’t believe anybody.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol   very honest!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2019, 09:57:49 pm »
Nationwide flex account. £10 a month includes European cover on any vehicle (including bike and vans) I own.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2019, 06:31:54 pm »
Nationwide flex account. £10 a month includes European cover on any vehicle (including bike and vans) I own.

I'm with Nationwide.......  going to have a look now!

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2019, 07:22:56 pm »
Hi....... to anyone who looks at this in the future .....

Thanks to those who offered suggestions, much appreciated.

I've now spent hours reading horror stories of crap response times, expensive add ons, small print get out clauses.... etc

So.... I did the big 3, RAC, AA and Green flag.

I rang them and RAC came out best at roughly £10 per month for any vehicle I'm in (or on), car or bike or van up to a large transit.  That includes home start, home recovery to a garage if they can't fix it at home and recovery anywhere. They also gave a price freeze so I get the same deal next year as long as I signed for auto renewal which I don't mind as I diary everything anyway.   I think that was it.......

For peace of mind and confidence in someone definitely coming to rescue me on a wet, rainy miserable day on the north Yorkshire moors I said yes.

I might have paid £80 more than the lowest quote on Compare the market but honestly read the reviews!

Hope this helps

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2019, 08:00:29 pm »
I guess most of them would appear good value if you have to call them out and they get you going and / or recovered.