Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:12 am

Author Topic: what to update?  (Read 2777 times)

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
what to update?
« on: 22 February 2019, 06:59:39 pm »
Hi

I'm new to the Fazer.  I've just picked up a 2002 box eye 600.  it looks in mint condition but I'm sure there will be things to look out for/consider updating/replace with newer better versions?

So far I've done about 60 miles on a lovely dry sunny afternoon.  It's got Michelin Pilots fitted (not sure of which version but as the bike has obviously been well looked after I'm assuming not been on too long) with plenty of tread and they felt fine yesterday.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: what to update?
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2019, 07:31:32 pm »
Check your front sprocket nut. The original nut is 9mm wide. It's too small. It comes undone and ruins the threads on the output shaft. Yamaha made a 12mm nut to replace the 9 mm one. If you still have the 9 mm one you should change it  https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/yh-90891-10124

Braided brake lines are a good upgrade. There's a discount code on here for braided lines. You could get a k&n air filter and an end can for some more noise. There's a head light mod. http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,181.0.html There a R6 rear shock mod http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8167.0.html
« Last Edit: 22 February 2019, 07:33:52 pm by His Dudeness »

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2019, 08:47:09 pm »
All best mods mentioned above. Don't bother trying to change airflow from changing screens - you'll fail....it is what it is.

Main question is how does the bike feel to you on idle, acceleration, mid range, braking, fork dive etc. ?????
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2019, 09:14:58 pm »
Hi Mike,

You are a few weeks behind from myself having just purchased a 2001 Boxeye. 

As stated the headlight mod is a good start although I've fitted LED Spotlights to the edges of the radiator, these make a huge difference and the spots outperform the headlights.
I've fitted heated grips, although now it's turned to Summer I don't need them.

I've opted (somewhat controversially) for smoked indicator lenses as I found the orange ones made them look longer stemmed than they actually are.  A matching smoked LED tail light will be going on this weekend.

From a pratical sense the 12mm sprocket nut is a must.  I've checked for play in advance and so far haven't got any but I've already got a new 12mm nut and will fit that sometime in the next week.  Prevention being better than anything.

I've not noticed an issue with the suspension front or back but then I'm still getting used to her so maybe in time they might be mods I consider. 

Welcome to the group, since my arrival I've found people very welcoming and helpful. (Just don't mention smoked indicators) Lol.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2019, 09:33:54 pm »
A fender extender on the front mud guards is a good idea. Some people go for 15W fork oil in the front suspension. You can also get progressive springs for the front suspension. The rear caliper can be swapped with the 1000 one I think, with a bit of filing to the mounting bracket.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2019, 09:36:33 pm »
Exhaust nut studs. Search on here for that.Also - yes don't bother with screens unless its just for looks.Don't put dark lenses on your indicators or back light ;) :pokefun  Hugger ?Better horn.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2019, 10:14:23 pm »
Ah yes, exhaust studs. 

Am going to have a tentative turn of them this weekend to see if they all move.  If so I'll order some stainless ones.  If not then I'll leave as is until such a time I have no choice but to remove them.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2019, 10:34:13 pm »
Ah yes, exhaust studs. 

Am going to have a tentative turn of them this weekend to see if they all move.  If so I'll order some stainless ones.  If not then I'll leave as is until such a time I have no choice but to remove them.
Do not touch then until after a couple of weeks of plus-gas or your favourite seized nut mixture. I dowsed mine with a syringe and a blunt needle to get right to the nut flanges, readly sold on ebay for filling printer ink cartridges.   

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2019, 10:37:59 pm »
Find out when it had
new oil and filter change.
Fresh brake fluid front and rear.
When the spark plugs were last done.
Also when the chain and sprockets were replaced and if the previous owner could say what brake pads are fitted.

These are the basic maintenance items.

This would be on my check list and if it you cannot find out when it was last done then do it yourself.

Remember to get a Haynes manual as this will tell you when you need to do them and how.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2019, 10:25:52 am »
Hi Mike,

You are a few weeks behind from myself having just purchased a 2001 Boxeye. 

As stated the headlight mod is a good start although I've fitted LED Spotlights to the edges of the radiator, these make a huge difference and the spots outperform the headlights.
I've fitted heated grips, although now it's turned to Summer I don't need them.

I've opted (somewhat controversially) for smoked indicator lenses as I found the orange ones made them look longer stemmed than they actually are.  A matching smoked LED tail light will be going on this weekend.

From a pratical sense the 12mm sprocket nut is a must.  I've checked for play in advance and so far haven't got any but I've already got a new 12mm nut and will fit that sometime in the next week.  Prevention being better than anything.

I've not noticed an issue with the suspension front or back but then I'm still getting used to her so maybe in time they might be mods I consider. 

Welcome to the group, since my arrival I've found people very welcoming and helpful. (Just don't mention smoked indicators) Lol.

Hi

Do you have any pics and/or links to the spotlight addition.  Sounds interesting.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2019, 10:29:49 am »
Find out when it had
new oil and filter change.
Fresh brake fluid front and rear.
When the spark plugs were last done.
Also when the chain and sprockets were replaced and if the previous owner could say what brake pads are fitted.

These are the basic maintenance items.

This would be on my check list and if it you cannot find out when it was last done then do it yourself.

Remember to get a Haynes manual as this will tell you when you need to do them and how.

Hi

Chain and sprockets all good
Serviced just prior to pick up
Brake fluid - I'll have a look at, probably been in a while but the brakes are pretty sharp so far, one to watch.....
Haynes manual in the garage!  It's the first thing I order when I buy a new bike - quite a collection now, like a piece of my own personal history.

Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2019, 10:31:57 am »
A fender extender on the front mud guards is a good idea. Some people go for 15W fork oil in the front suspension. You can also get progressive springs for the front suspension. The rear caliper can be swapped with the 1000 one I think, with a bit of filing to the mounting bracket.

Fender extender already fitted so That job is done.

Front suspension I'll wait and see what it feels like once the weather gets better and the tyres can get warmed up a bit.  It was a gentle jaunt out the other day in lovely sunshine but about 6 degrees of north east cold!

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2019, 04:55:17 pm »
Mike, search on this forum for spotlights & you'll see what we all have. Chinese LED jobs. Including optional switch I fitted mine for about 17 quid

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2019, 09:14:17 pm »
forgot to mention I replaced the OEM brake hoses front and rear with SS

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2019, 09:56:36 pm »
Mike, search on this forum for spotlights & you'll see what we all have. Chinese LED jobs. Including optional switch I fitted mine for about 17 quid

Hiya Mike - have a read here fella

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21527.0.html
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2019, 09:34:26 am »

Hiya Mike - have a read here fella

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21527.0.html

Cheers I'll have a read.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2019, 12:44:06 pm »
Wider mirrors. The standard ones always point at your elbows :lol I think the 1000 mirrors work. A top box is handy especially if you commute. You can upgrade the rear caliper. The standard one needs a lot of maintenance to stop it seizing. Regular cleaning and a set of new seals every few years. I think the 1000 rear caliper can be fitted with a little filing to the mounting bracket. You can probably get a 1000 caliper for the price of a set of genuine seals. A belly pan for looks. Rear hugger. A chain oiler. Sintered brake pads maybe but they'll eat your disc sooner. I've heard of people making quick action throttles. You could change your sprocket sizes for a bit more acceleration.

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2019, 06:55:11 pm »
Wider mirrors. The standard ones always point at your elbows :lol I think the 1000 mirrors work. A top box is handy especially if you commute. You can upgrade the rear caliper. The standard one needs a lot of maintenance to stop it seizing. Regular cleaning and a set of new seals every few years. I think the 1000 rear caliper can be fitted with a little filing to the mounting bracket. You can probably get a 1000 caliper for the price of a set of genuine seals. A belly pan for looks. Rear hugger. A chain oiler. Sintered brake pads maybe but they'll eat your disc sooner. I've heard of people making quick action throttles. You could change your sprocket sizes for a bit more acceleration.
Hi

I keep reading about the rear caliper on the 600 seizing up.  I was going to have a closer look at mine as it wasn't too sharp when I was out on it, seemed a bit 'soft' so was going to look at changing the fluid and see if that helped. 

How much are we looking at for a replacement caliper?
What is the main difference between the two?
How much 'adjusting' does the hanger need to accommodate it?

Cheers

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2019, 07:06:38 pm »
I tried different mirrors and found the OEM ones better. The thing is that the stem looks longer but when you compare you can see that yes it is longer but the OEM mirror casing is an elongated shape which adds to the shorter OEM stem. The pattern ones also sit higher which potentially gets more of your shoulder in. End to end fitted on the bike you gain 10mm extra width.That was my experiance
  See the picture and also my thread on it here   

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,24230.msg280918.html#msg280918
« Last Edit: 24 February 2019, 07:09:56 pm by fazersharp »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2019, 08:11:19 pm »
Hi

I keep reading about the rear caliper on the 600 seizing up.  I was going to have a closer look at mine as it wasn't too sharp when I was out on it, seemed a bit 'soft' so was going to look at changing the fluid and see if that helped. 

Cheers
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/emjaydee73/media/cGF0aDovMDJfenBzMDAxNTFjYTkuanBn/?ref=
I believe the main difference is less maintenance. It's a used part so prices will vary quite a bit. Do a search on here and ebay.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2019, 08:13:59 pm »
I tried different mirrors and found the OEM ones better. The thing is that the stem looks longer but when you compare you can see that yes it is longer but the OEM mirror casing is an elongated shape which adds to the shorter OEM stem. The pattern ones also sit higher which potentially gets more of your shoulder in. End to end fitted on the bike you gain 10mm extra width.That was my experiance

Have you tried a mirrors off a 1000? I thought they stuck out further than the 600?

Mike1962

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Suzuki dl250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2019, 08:31:39 pm »
Hi

Cheers
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/emjaydee73/media/cGF0aDovMDJfenBzMDAxNTFjYTkuanBn/?ref=
I believe the main difference is less maintenance. It's a used part so prices will vary quite a bit. Do a search on here and ebay.

will do.  cheers

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2019, 12:15:25 pm »

Have you tried a mirrors off a 1000? I thought they stuck out further than the 600?

No I haven't. I sort of gave up as the sun came out last year and I just wanted to ride, the ones I got had been talked about on here. The only reason I have kept them is they were £18 and would do as spares.