Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Barge like handling

(1/7) > >>

Stinka:
So I need to do some serious tweaking to sharpen up the front end on my gen 1.  What are the limits of raising the forks through clamps before it’s gets a bit slappy? I’m thinking I’ll go for 15mm straight away as it’s so slow to tip in. Loads of dive under braking and the preload is pretty much all the way out, I’m 23 stone lol so I’m going to need to wind it right in a fair bit me thinks ... any suggestions?

Dudeofrude:
To be honest I doubt there is much the standard forks are gonna do with 23 stone bearing down on them. You have to remember these bikes are all design in Japan for people that are 5ft 5 and weigh 8 stone haha
 I'd be more inclined to rebuild the forks with heavier springs to suit you. If you can do the job yourself then really isn't that expensive :thumbup

ogri48:
mate you wouldn't believe how much difference a clean and fresh oil will make to your bike. Ask Dynspud too, once hes had a chance to get a proper run on his recently refreshed front end thou.  ;)

Falcon 269:
I agree with what's been suggested to improve the forks (heavier single-rate springs, new oil etc) but you need to address the rear shock first.  It was also designed for the tiny rice eater who tested the bike and is good for a 13st rider in gear.  That's when new so by now it's well past it's best.

With the rear sagging so deep, you will never get the front end weight bias you desire no matter how far through the yokes you pull the fork legs. :)

stevierst:
You need a bit of fresh springing Stinka! Makes a huge difference to how the bike behaves, it did with mine.

As for fork dropping through the yokes, I did this, and it certainly sharpened up the steering, but made the bike ‘flop’ into bends which felt a little odd to me.
As an alternative, I put the forks back to normal, and raised the rear 2”. It cured the flop, kept the neutral steering, and made her a hell of a lot sharper on the twisties. Might not work for everyone, but I’m built like a giraffe with very long legs.

Just my 2p worth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version