Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:50 pm

Author Topic: How old is your lid?  (Read 2203 times)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
How old is your lid?
« on: 20 February 2019, 09:42:46 am »
Ok, I know all the arguments about how much to spend on a lid and valuing your head etc etc, but my lid is now about 5 years old but infrequently used.
So, I wonder how old yours is?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: How old is your lid?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2019, 10:57:54 am »
The open face is 5 years oldish, used regularly, and fits like a glove, nice and comfortable. The full face is 3 years old, use only at trackdays and occasionally on a ride, is claustrophobic, noisy, and uncomfortable for long rides. I reckon Ill get a new open face this spring.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2019, 11:42:18 am »
When I changed mine about 2 years ago it was 11 years old  :eek :eek but that equates to about 11,000 miles. One of the reasons it was so long is that I really liked it as it had lots of chrome and looked great with a silver visor. My main reason for changing is that I wanted a helmet with inbuilt flip down dark visor.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2019, 11:42:51 am »
my Shoei is probably 6 years old (approx. 30k miles)
my Arai is 22 years old (only use it as a spare for my youngest if we pop out local) (approx. 4k miles)
« Last Edit: 20 February 2019, 11:44:41 am by Robbie8666 »
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2019, 11:49:39 am »
My current Shoei XR-1100 is about 3 years old.

My previous XR-1000 was about 8 years old. I replaced it when it slipped out of my hands as I was taking it off :(

It fell about 4 feet and bounced off a wooden bed frame and, although I managed to get my boot under it before it hit the concrete floor and there was no obvious damage, I decided that, although it still fit well, it was time to get a replacement.

Both are fibreglass which are recommended to be replaced after 5 years (but IMO that's only if you're wearing them all day, every day, in blazing sunshine etc), as opposed to polycarbondate ones which supposedly only have a 1 year lifespan.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2019, 02:25:07 pm »
As referenced in my other post... my HJC RPHA 11 is 2 weeks old 😁 but my previous Shark Speed R is 4 years old and my Caberg Duke is 5 years old (but don't wear it)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2019, 08:27:49 pm »
as opposed to polycarbondate ones which supposedly only have a 1 year lifespan.

*WHAT* did I write?!

(Obviously polycarbondating is how you can find out how old they are...!) :D

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2019, 09:14:48 pm »
You're supposed to change them every few years or when you drop 'em,but to be honest after spending nearly £400 a couple of years ago and dropping it a couple of times I won't be spending that and more every few years no matter what the "experts" say  :finger
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2019, 10:27:13 am »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2019, 10:41:30 am »
If a helmet fits properly has an ACU gold sticker CE, BS certified  and a 5* sharps rating. can't see any other way of knowing if it's any good unless you go and crash with it. I would think most skid lid are stronger than the flesh bone and grey matter they are there to protect whether they're £150 or £600

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2019, 07:10:25 pm »
I’ve got a shitty shark s600. Cost me like £90, It’s 4 years old. I’ve done about 15k in it. It fkn stinks. It’s an absolute piece of shit and my ears ring from the wind noise

I’ll have an hjc rpha 70 this year, as it was absolutely sexual when I tried one on the other month

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
You saying about stinking things I remember years ago when my kids were playing the recorder and you had to keep them clean,when you pulled them apart the stink was unbelievable,all that flob ,snot and bacteria must collect in them waiting for Mom or Dad to clean 'em up,YEEEERG!!!! :thumbdown
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2019, 08:40:34 pm »
Current "commute" lid is a Shoei GT Air. 3 yrs old, done about 75k miles and gets a new visor about every 4 months. Changing it when the new GT Air range come out in March/April.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2019, 09:18:28 am »
my Arai is 22 years old (only use it as a spare for my youngest if we pop out local) (approx. 4k miles)

I kinda know where your coming from, hardly used and only short trips.
But in all honesty id rather walk than risk the life of one of my kids with a 22 year old helmet.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2019, 09:46:54 am »
MY AGV K3 is just over 4 years old and still going strong. the padding on the underside is a little worn but it's still a decent lid.
I've also got a cheap Frank Thomas flip front helmet, it's a noisy foccer, but useful as a spare. I've never really got to grips with flip fronts.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2019, 12:30:00 pm »

I kinda know where your coming from, hardly used and only short trips.
But in all honesty id rather walk than risk the life of one of my kids with a 22 year old helmet.

not disagreeing as my daughter has her own helmet which is too big for my son, in fairness he only been pillion once and if he showed an interest might buy a helmet but problem is finding one as they live in deepest Cornwall & nearest place probably Plymouth or Exeter!

have any tests been done on helmets as they age to prove they degrade over time or is just the science of composite materials?

I would happily offer my helmet up for testing if it would prove it!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2019, 09:01:54 pm »
ive got one of my dads old bone domes thats almost as old as me ( I was born in 59). It has not one or two but THREE press studs on the strap for safety! ( Seriously) and my stadium winter piss pot ive had from the late seventies I think, and I probably bought it second hand then.... :)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2019, 11:29:40 pm »
I've had 2 new lids every 3 years since getting a bike in 2010, mainly because I sent both my first bikes down the road on their sides and my bonce hit the deck both times, the current HJC IS17 is doing well at 4 years, I still use the old one to take the bike to work which is about once every 3 months and only about quarter of a mile in town and thats only because I don't want the newest lid getting minging with oil and grease from working under the cars and vans.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2019, 09:44:38 am »
I replaced my last Shoei flip up helmet 2 years ago at 6 years of hard use. It looked OK  but had become almost impossible to rid it of accumulated sweat residue-I tried many different ways of cleaning the linings but it still had a lingering pong( And before you state the obvious I do use personal cleaning products :lol ). The current lid is another Shoei Neotec with drop down tinted sun shield bought at a discounted price as the Neotec 2 had just been launched. Love the convenience of these flip up helmets even though they are a tad heavier than some other brands/models. Excellent demisting with Pinlock insert important for me as a wearer of glasses.
When I campaign "Henry Honda" the mighty Cub I wear an Aldi open face with integral drop down visor only cost £30 but is German TuV approved.