Date: 16-04-24  Time: 17:19 pm

Author Topic: can you clean carbon deposits from valves with out taking off the cylinder head  (Read 1779 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
hi guys just wondering if there is any way of cleaning the valves on me fazer with out having to crack the cylinder head off and clean its only got 20.000 on clock but i took off old carbs and theres loads of black soot in the top just under the rubber diaghram .............. is this soot build up stopping valves closing i did hear a hiss the other day from the engine
any thoughts / sugestion
« Last Edit: 16 February 2019, 11:58:35 am by psyfi_1 »

daviee

cleaning the wont make any difference you need to lap them in if they are leaking no easy way

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
well i have another engine with cylinder head do you think i should restore the head on that one and just swap them over

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

If you suspect valves aren’t closing I’d start by measuring clearances.
BP, Shell etc have pricier versions of petrol loaded with additives that supposedly clean the valves. However, the Fazer’s carbs are set to run rich, presumably to allow a safety margin in case of low octane fuel. This does mean that there is always a fair amount of soot in the exhaust but nothing to worry about.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
sadly its in the carbs under the diaghrams which is why i think the valves are not closing properly

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Compression test will show it there's a problem worth investigating

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
How is the bike running? Is she back firing? Lots of smoke etc . . .
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
no but basicly i changed over carbs and exhaust from the good bike and whe i started it i heard a hissing sound from the engine and when i took the carbs appart i founf loads of black crap sitting under the carb diaghrams and was thinking that was due to the valves not closing and exhuast fumes getting into the carbs ihavent had the chance to take her for a full test ride but i swapped coil wires over and shes seaming alot better but i will update the post tommorow when i go for a proper test ride....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Sorry but every time I see your name I see PMSL.
----Carry on --------as you were

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
If you had the coils hooked up the wrong way around they could have been firing when the valves were open causing the carbon in the carbs

10kovako

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
hi guys just wondering if there is any way of cleaning the valves on me fazer with out having to crack the cylinder head off and clean its only got 20.000 on clock but i took off old carbs and theres loads of black soot in the top just under the rubber diaghram .............. is this soot build up stopping valves closing i did hear a hiss the other day from the engine
any thoughts / sugestion

There’s a good liquid that you can buy called SeaFoam. Great stuff, used it in many bikes and it’s a fuel additive that actually works unlike most of them out there. If you don’t trust me just YouTube before and after videos. Best of luck!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
any thoughts / sugestion

There’s a good liquid that you can buy called SeaFoam. Great stuff, used it in many bikes and it’s a fuel additive that actually works unlike most of them out there. If you don’t trust me just YouTube before and after videos. Best of luck!

On that note, i was about to say the same about this stuff too. Tried and tested by a load of us on here, it's the only one i've found to have a noticeable difference.
I use it once a year, and put a whole bottle in a full tank of 99 ron fuel for maximum cleaning effect.

I've tried most of them out there over many years, but this is the only one that i will ever spend money on these days. My bike is mainly for commuting so i do spend plenty of time in traffic without the chance of giving the bike a real blast, so the bike does tend to appreciate an internal clean up every now and then.

Make sure you only get the "STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner Petrol" though, as in the one below, as there are slightly different versions and the others don't work as efficiently as this one.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-complete-fuel-system-cleaner-petrol-400ml
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ergzzz

• Cager in Training
  • Spade David
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX 1200
    • View Profile
20,000 miles would make the valves considerably sooty but not to the point that it impairs valve closure, if you are worried about the valves closing then perform a compression test/ leak down test (this will also tell you if the piston rings are worn and if your gaskets are broken) to be completely accurate that it is the valves then check your valve clearances.

as for soot in the carbs under the *diaphragm, this can be caused by misfiring due to the coil wires (do you mean HT leads or LT leads?) being placed incorrectly.

gafaw gafaw :lol
Divad Edaps