Date: 24-04-24  Time: 23:28 pm

Author Topic: changed header caskets and now no power running terrible srted cheers  (Read 1001 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Hi guys changed my header gastkets and added the origanal exhuast back on becuase some guy had drilled the exhaust.................... so take it for a test ride  and now there seems to be no power........ it is idling fine which i was suprised about
« Last Edit: 15 February 2019, 04:54:42 pm by psyfi_1 »

daviee

Re: changed header caskets and now no power running terrible
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2019, 06:06:39 pm »
might be jetted for the other exhaust , or is it just because its quiet making you think its lost power

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2019, 06:11:52 pm »
The carbs may need to be re balanced.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2019, 06:12:11 pm »
it is quieter but that was to be expected ... but as soon as you put clutch it struggle have to keep it above 5 thousand rpm to get it to move forward other wise it dies

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2019, 06:15:18 pm »
and also before i changed exhaust over it was running really rich can start in minus temretures with no choke....

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2019, 06:16:43 pm »
put the other one back on see if it goes back to what it was like if it does the quiet exhaust is fooked

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2019, 06:25:13 pm »
the one i put on comes from the other fazer i and should have no problems it becuae it was working fine i will put on the other exhuast first see if that changes anything if it does i will change the carbs over i got another set anyways cheer

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2019, 06:39:43 pm »
could be jetted different for the other exhaust

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2019, 06:36:42 am »
I had my bike jetted once but it never ran right at all to my liking so i had it put back to standard, and it ran fine with any exhaust after that.
Unless you're going full on, like using carb pods, then they don't need jetting, but as suggested if it has been altered then it could make a big difference if the original exhaust is put back on.
I changed my stock exhaust straight away because i didn't like the look or sound of it, but the bloke who used to Dyno my bike said the stock exhaust headers are better than any aftermarket ones, it was just the build quality that let them down.

You don't actually mention if your headers are stock or not? And when you say original exhaust do you mean the headers or the end can?

Again as mentioned a carb balance could no doubt help, but also check for any leaks around the gasket area as they can be fiddly and if there is any escaping air then it will markedly affect performance. 

Something else to bear in mind is the condition of your air filter as well. Any, or even all of these things can make a big difference in running.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2019, 12:04:25 pm »

The Fazer is fairly insensitive to the type of silencer fitted. Unless a mouse has built a nest in the exhaust I doubt the change is the cause of the problem.
What was the weather like when you tested it? The cold, misty mornings we’ve had lately are ideal for carb icing. If the heater passageways through the carbs have become blocked that can give symptoms similar to those you describe.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2019, 03:38:33 pm »

The Fazer is fairly insensitive to the type of silencer fitted. Unless a mouse has built a nest in the exhaust I doubt the change is the cause of the problem.
What was the weather like when you tested it? The cold, misty mornings we’ve had lately are ideal for carb icing. If the heater passageways through the carbs have become blocked that can give symptoms similar to those you describe.

Does that heater circuit actually do anything?
My pipes were all cleaned out, but if i don't put Isopropyl Alcohol in my fuel over winter it instantly gets carb icing.
Been proven year after year so i know exactly how the bike functions without it....shite basically.
Mechanic confirmed it as well, and said that chemical treatment would stop it happening.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Re: changed header caskets and now no power running terrible srted cheers
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2019, 04:56:55 pm »
okay wasnt the headers i had swapped the coil spade connectors wrong  way round..... muppet and im a sparky lol and i did change the carbs to me old bike so that helped with the new exhaust

cheers guys for comments it di help