Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:47 pm

Author Topic: Sorry - tyres again!  (Read 3310 times)

IffyBiker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Sorry - tyres again!
« on: 11 February 2019, 09:15:48 am »
Bought an 02 Foxeye last April which have Pirello Diablo's on. Getting a bit low now. Too be honest my riding style is 'gentle' (some may say boring - some may say safe) but I know I'm not going to be knee scraping, so my question is what do I put on next. Michelin PR4's? Any other suggestions?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry - tyres again!
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2019, 09:43:45 am »
It's very much down to your own preference fella. I'm a Bridgestone fan, been buying their tyres for years. You're probably best looking for a 'sports touring' tyre rather than all out sports rubber- it'll suit your style of riding and hopefully last you a bit longer.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2019, 10:33:18 am »
I have used maxxis tyres for the last three tyre renewals and still have a set on my old Yamaha MT_03 and they perform as well as the michelin pr4s that are fitted to my Yamaha MT_09 and of course are cheaper

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2019, 05:06:59 pm »
PR3 front - PR4 rear

Best tyres I've ever used in over 30 years riding, they stick to the road like glue in any weather.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2019, 06:00:59 pm »
Always get differing views when asking for tyre recommendations. BT 023's on mine, and just ordered another set. Decent longevity, and no problems for me on track either.

I would never go near any Maxxi product agian. Bought another Land Rover Discovery 2 a couple of years ago, came with Maxxis on it. Tried contacting them to confirm what the pressures should be for towing and non towing use,  several emails and phone calls produced zilch response. I gave up with them in the end. Foccin useless.

Bridgestone however, were tremedous when I rang them about tyre pressures for the fazer on track. The guy went into it at some length, brilliant service.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2019, 07:20:41 pm »
I'm not too fussy about tyres but like darrsi said I think I'll go for PR3 or PR4 next. My mate was raving about PR3s. He was getting great mileage out of them on his gsxr1000 and said they were great in the wet and dry.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2019, 07:26:36 pm »
And for another view, I always used to like Metzeler M7RR's on the my old FZS600. Warm up fast to give confidence in wet and winter, but also super grippy for a fun ride or track day. Do only last about 8k ish though, whereas I used to get 12-13k out of Metz Z6 and Z8's.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2019, 07:59:08 pm »
Bridgstone Battlax T30, about £200 a pair.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2019, 11:11:57 pm »
I'm not too fussy about tyres but like darrsi said I think I'll go for PR3 or PR4 next. My mate was raving about PR3s. He was getting great mileage out of them on his gsxr1000 and said they were great in the wet and dry.

I was riding home in a heavy snow storm a couple of weeks back, could barely see a bloody thing, but i tell you what, the tyres still stayed planted to the tarmac through icy slush.
That was probably the best test for me, i got caught out in that weather, it's not normally my thing, but front and back stuck to the floor brilliantly, i was so impressed.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2019, 11:16:18 pm »

So this makes +2 for the PR3/4 combo. Never let me down, good grip from cold, good feel/feedback and mileage. About £230 a set.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2019, 06:35:11 am »

So this makes +2 for the PR3/4 combo. Never let me down, good grip from cold, good feel/feedback and mileage. About £230 a set.

My workmate rides his BMW bike in ALL weathers every day to work, and something like a 140 mile round trip, and i got chatting with him the other day and he mentioned straight away how good the PR4's are as well.
I probably would have tried PR4's on the front and back if the sizes were available, but as they're not and i have tried the PR3/PR4 combo and found that they are near perfect as a pair then i really have no desire to fix what isn't broke anyway now.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2019, 12:39:26 pm »
Pr3 and pr4 for winter use but pilot power 3 for summer, they are unbelievably grippy.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
Metzeler M7RR for my use which is dry Social Domestic and PLEASURE as per my insurance, and I do so little mileage per year that my tyre's get old before they get worn. So for your commuting use the  Metzeler M7RR's may get worn too quick.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
Has anyone tried Avon tyres on the 600 yet?
Maybe we should all be buying British products once we crash out of the EU next month!   :smash
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2019, 08:46:45 pm »
Maybe we should all be buying British products once we crash out of the EU next month!   :smash
Ive got 10 years worth of tread on mine

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2019, 08:39:56 am »

not on 600  but running them on my Triumph NightStorm.. 700 miles in & still feel like new..
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2019, 01:41:49 pm »
Another vote for PR3/PR4 from me. 

daviee

« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
i went from pr2s to bt023s as i was get puncture constantly on michelins , tried maxxis and i wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy horrible tyres bt023s are fine i can get my toes down on both sides with confidence as i could with the pr2s just couldnt live wwith the constant punctures with them

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2019, 06:08:16 pm »
I've got Avon storm 2 XD on my gen 1 thou. I won't be getting them again! I've never had so many slips and spin ups on any tyre at all, even maxxis which I ran for 3 or so years!
And to top it all, the thou is ripping them to bits!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2019, 09:38:06 pm »
Angel st

Absolutely epic tyres

I’ve inherited angel gt on my new to me gen1 thou and they are fantastic tbh, but I had angel st on my last bike which was an mt09 tracer. The st are cheaper and some say, stickier. I’m a fat bastard and the GT Are supposed to be for touring and bigger bikes etc

I’d go with angel st. Absolutely mint and very sticky

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2019, 08:30:48 am »

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2019, 10:32:03 am »
I had a set of t30 evo before the angels, very grippy but I only got 2k out of the rear on my mt09

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2019, 11:23:08 am »
I had a set of t30 evo before the angels, very grippy but I only got 2k out of the rear on my mt09

I had a rear T30 before the PR4, only negative i can recall was that i found the compound soft so it picked up any road dirt very easily. In fact it had a screw in it the day after i got it fitted, but luckily it was in the fleshy part of the tyre so it never penetrated to let air out.
The main thing for me with the PR4 is the grip in the wet, and apart from still looking out for the obvious like drains, etc, i don't have to worry about the fact that the road is wet at all.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2019, 12:22:42 pm »

The main thing for me with the PR4 is the grip in the wet,
Of no interest to me then  :lol Frustrating that on our shitty roads if you go for a very nice soft tyre for dry riding that you are just going to get a punture. I wonder if it is the larger bare tread area on the "best for dry roads - bad for wet roads that is the cause of picking up a puncture rather than their softness. Those PR4s have all of those cross lines designed to dissipate water and wondering if they act as some sort of "screw deflector" that flicks them away. 
Here is my M7 rr back tyre just after scrubbing in with lots of nice nail and screw real-estate.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2019, 01:00:20 pm by fazersharp »