Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:46 pm

Author Topic: Skid lids  (Read 2072 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Skid lids
« on: 02 February 2019, 09:35:02 pm »
I'm after a new helmet and just thought I'd ask what you guys are wearing?

I currently use a Shark Speed R Sauer which is very nice looking, a little noisey and took an age to bed in but all in all it wasn't a bad lid.
Looking to go for similar sporty style helmets.
Anyone have any recommendations?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Skid lids
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2019, 09:48:15 pm »
I'm after a new helmet and just thought I'd ask what you guys are wearing?

I currently use a Shark Speed R Sauer which is very nice looking, a little noisey and took an age to bed in but all in all it wasn't a bad lid.
Looking to go for similar sporty style helmets.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Nice looking lid that, makes my trusty old avg k3 look positively ancient! Have a look here-

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2019, 10:27:56 pm »
Only worn Arai for the last 25 years, so I'm biased. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2019, 06:55:21 am »
Only worn Arai for the last 25 years, so I'm biased. :lol

:agree
My only negative would be that when i had a Shoei lid i could turn my head and rain would fly off the visor even atlow speeds, but i've had several Arai visors and for some weird reason they collect droplets of water for fun.
Don't know why, you'd think plastic was plastic, but i've tried different lotions and potions but in all my years riding these visors have a particular bond to water? Other than that the crash helmets themselves are great.
There are hundreds out there though, so you literally need to find a shop like J&S and start trying them on, even more so if you are a wearer of glasses. Either that or get yourself to a bike show where you might find a real bargain.
Consider one that has removable/replaceable inner padding so you can wash them on a regular basis, or replace them if necessary too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2019, 09:05:51 am »
I was always an Arai fan, but the prices put me off in the end, so I tried a Nolan N86 and I've been well pleased with it.
It's been replaced with the N87, which has won the RIDE best buy for the last couple of years.
Well worth a try IMO.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2019, 10:32:29 am »
Yeah I've looked into the Shoei and Arai. I'm not a fan of Arai at all, they are all too round and look like pool balls on my head haha Shoeis seem very comfortable for me but as with most thing I fear you pay more for the brand name than you do for the product.
At the minute I'm quite taken with the HJC RHPA series helmets, not bad prices and very nice looking. The reviews seem very good too.
I also quite like the Nexx helmets but they don't seem very popular so hard to find honest opinions.
I love the Shark helmets but after the polava of bedding in my current one I don't think I'd bother again. I had to suffer a bright red forehead for at least 3 months 🤣

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2019, 05:59:17 pm »

Arai QV Pro & Arai Quantum.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2019, 05:52:20 pm »
Arai visor system is foccin crap.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2019, 07:05:45 pm »
Arai visor system is foccin crap.
In what way?. The latest with the removable sidepods is even easier.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2019, 07:50:19 pm »
I’m seriously considering a flip up for next time.

My Shoei is past its best and at least 5 years old if not more. But I do have trouble getting a lid to fit well, got a pea head so need a small. On a lot of helmets my chin hangs out the bottom though. Found Shoei the best fit and on my third now.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2019, 10:47:35 pm »

In what way?. The latest with the removable sidepods is even easier.

I think I bought mine about 2010.  A Viper GT.

With a Shoei pull the wee leavers, 2 seconds and it’s off and zero chance of damaging anything.

Getting the Arai visor off is not too bad, but getting it back in, it’s foccing murder.  I can only get it if I stick it on ma heid and stand in front of a mirror.  Plus it’s easy to break the side pod.  Absolute crap.

Maybe they have improved it since.

Best fitting, most comfy helmet I’ve had, but yeah utter crap visor system.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2019, 10:44:03 am »
HJC IS-MAX 2

Flip front (non-homologated, so not supposed to ride with it up), slide down sunvisor and quick release strap.

Bought it 2 years ago for about £150 and it's still going strong, bit of wind noise at times but nothing major.

The flip front makes it much easier when popping into shop or petrol station, and for putting glasses on.

4 star rating on Sharp, and the chin guard stayed down in 100% of simulations, which was something I was worried about at the time.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2019, 04:01:55 pm »
Ive had ARAI's for ages,really like the fit and comfort but always dread changing the visor,how those race mechs on the island change them so quick is unreal. :eek
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2019, 04:54:20 pm »
The latest Arai RX7-V, which has been out for maybe 3 years now, has removable sidepods. You now align the visor visually, rather than endure the expensive sounding noises with the older system, which just needed a bit of confidence, as you think somethings going to break. Arai all day long for me. :thumbup

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2019, 07:16:33 pm »

The RX7-V is a top helmet, but so is the price.

I had to grit my teeth buying the QV Pro a year ago and that was in the sale. It is/was the model below the RX7-V and shares the same shell I believe.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
Ive had ARAI's for ages,really like the fit and comfort but always dread changing the visor,how those race mechs on the island change them so quick is unreal. :eek

There is most certainly a "crunch" about teleasing the visors, but after a while it's quite apparent they don't break.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2019, 07:44:36 pm »

The RX7-V is a top helmet, but so is the price.

I had to grit my teeth buying the QV Pro a year ago and that was in the sale. It is/was the model below the RX7-V and shares the same shell I believe.
Take your point about the price. Just checked gearchangeonline, who are usually quite competitive pricewise, and they're £190 dearer than when I bought mine. The Excel show is next week, often  bargains to be had.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2019, 08:39:25 pm »
Well I went with my gut and bought the HJC RPHA-11.
Got it at an unbelievable steal of a price..... Sportsbikeshop are selling them for £360 (£450 for the Monster graphic one) I got mine from ghostbikes for £172!!!

Turned up today and I'm very pleased.
Read reviews beforehand and took the advice of going 1 size up and I'm glad I did, I'm usually a M but the L fits perfectly.
It's beautifully light (1300g), the vents are all adjustable should you only want to open them slightly or open just the right side but not the left etc etc (No clue why)
Also in the box was a free pinlock and dark smoke visor ( rrp£50) which was a very nice touch.
Obviously not taken it out on the road yet but will report back when I've put a few miles on it 👍
« Last Edit: 05 February 2019, 08:40:42 pm by Dudeofrude »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2019, 08:47:28 pm »
Great deal there, especially with the pinlock and tint. Well done,enjoy :thumbup

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2019, 10:03:08 pm »
Got it at an unbelievable steal of a price..... Sportsbikeshop are selling them for £360 (£450 for the Monster graphic one) I got mine from ghostbikes for £172!!!

Read reviews beforehand and took the advice of going 1 size up and I'm glad I did, I'm usually a M but the L fits perfectly.
It's beautifully light (1300g), the vents are all adjustable should you only want to open them slightly or open just the right side but not the left etc etc (No clue why)
Also in the box was a free pinlock and dark smoke visor ( rrp£50) which was a very nice touch.
Obviously not taken it out on the road yet but will report back when I've put a few miles on it 👍

Nice,that,does the interior come out to wash?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2019, 10:08:27 pm »
Christ that was a deal! I wore a HJC to Morrocco and back and to be honest it peed all over the Arai I had at the time

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2019, 10:45:08 pm »

Nice,that,does the interior come out to wash?

Yeah the interior is fully removable and has that emergency quick release thingy so in the event of an accident the paramedics can remove the cheek pads out of the helmet while your still wearing it, making it safe and easy to remove the whole thing without disturbing your neck etc

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2019, 10:50:03 pm »
Christ that was a deal! I wore a HJC to Morrocco and back and to be honest it peed all over the Arai I had at the time

Yeah I have read plenty of reviews where people have said it's comparable to their (considerably) more expensive Arai helmets in terms of build quality and comfort.
I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as their top end ones but it's gonna be more than fine for me. It's track approved too so will be using it on my next fling round Cadwell 🏍

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2019, 11:34:22 am »
Well I can happily say that I finally managed to get out and test the new helmet. I've got to say the first impression and stand out feature is the ventilation, It's amazing! Its so good I actually had to close some of the vents off after 10 mins cause my head and face were getting cold. It does have 5 separate vents in the front so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but compared to my old Shark it's outstanding.
My only gripes with it right now are the fact it's really hard to get on and off due to a massive chin curtain (but that will be coming off in warmer weather) and it seems a bit noisier than the shark was but nothing ear plugs won't fix
All in all I'm very happy with it and would recommend anyone to at least give them a look before your next helmet purchase
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 09:55:34 pm by Dudeofrude »