stacksmedic

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Hi all
« on: 20 January 2019, 07:30:02 pm »
Hi all

Even though I've been viewing the useful info on this site for a while thought it's about time I upgraded my profile and said hello.

Had my Silver FZS 1000 for about four years now after selling my TRX 850 (in hindsight kinda wish I had kept that one and had a Fazer as a second bike).
It's only in the last couple of years I've really been exploring the bikes full potential as an all day fast, comfortable bike. Discovered a love for bike trips to Europe and started taking my wife away. The lads I normally ride with most of whom are experienced Paramedic bike responders ride some quick bikes like the BMW 1000rr and 1000sx yet I am always impressed the FZS has no problem with the pace of real world riding, a track day might be a different story.

I was looking to upgrade to an FZ1 but after some thought beyond aesthetics the comfort and smooth power delivery of this bike is spot on so decided to keep it and go for some mods......new end can and braided lines are in the post.

New tyres later in the year when these ones square off, currently on Pilot road 4s so interested to here views on the latest rubber, Road 5s sound good.

Also interested in a belly pan and hard luggage if anyone has any tips. Finding a colour coded belly pan illusive and the hard luggage is £££

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2019, 03:53:50 pm »
Welcome to the loony bin Stacks. You're right, the Gen 1 Fazer 1000 is still a great bike and perfectly capable of doing long fast days as well as anything else out there in the market today (as long as you're not on a track).

If you're touring, with luggage and/or a passenger, I'd definitely go for a shock upgrade. People here will recommend Hagon (good, value upgraded shock) YSS/Nitron (more of the same, but more money) and others...and I wouldn't knock any of them (I'm over the moon with the Hagon on my FJ1200)............ but for value, I've found Devilsyam's R6 shock/dog-bone kit that I put on our Fazer 1000 is the dogs danglies !!

There are plenty of racks that pop up on eBay and a few Givi ones pop up quite a bit there and on here etc for reasonable money. There are plenty of cheap, decent top boxes available that fit directly onto Givi racks too (eBay and local bike shops).

We use Oxford soft panniers on both of our Fazer's and they're great, but again, there are usually panniers and mountings turn up on here or eBay quite regularly, so best of luck in finding something.

For belly pans, try Pyramid Plastics, M & P/Demon Tweeks, or Powerbronze as a start...there are more (Moorespeed and others !!).

All the best.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2019, 03:56:47 pm by Millietant »