Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:37 pm

Author Topic: Might be a write off ...  (Read 1563 times)

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Might be a write off ...
« on: 18 January 2019, 06:35:33 pm »
Ugh. As it happens, I put heated grips on a couple of weeks ago and filled the tank on Monday night, then Tuesday on the way home someone pulled out in front of me at a junction and I ended up re-modeling the side of their car.  :'(

The worst of the damage is the bent steering and leaking shock. Other than that its largely cosmetic - smashed headlight, cracked/scratched nose cone, scratch on alternator cover, and thats about it really!

Luckily it was quite low speed as I was already slowing down to allow another car out in front of me.

Wondering if anyone can give any advice ... Its a great bike (my first bike) and I really enjoyed riding it. I suspect it will be a write off due to the age and perhaps the difficulty of sourcing replacement parts for it. Other than the sentimental value/attachment, is there much point buying it back from the insurer if that option is available so I can fix it up myself? Or take what cash they will give me and put it towards something else?

I needed to buy a newer bike anyway as I work in central London and the rules are changing in April. Ive been eyeing off the Tracer 900 for some time, going to test ride one tomorrow.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Might be a write off ...
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2019, 07:05:34 pm »
Can't imagine you getting a lot back from insurance.
There are plenty of parts out there, if you know what you need ask on here first and we can help out or point you in the right direction.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2019, 10:34:17 pm »

Pants! Glad you're ok and you didn't write yourself off.

The worst of the damage is the bent steering and leaking shock. Other than that its largely cosmetic - smashed headlight, cracked/scratched nose cone, scratch on alternator cover, and thats about it really!
.... so I can fix it up myself?

So, fixed up similar Foxeye FZS600 a few times in the past. Not sure on price of forks. But if they're knackered, you need to also check for damage to front wheel, headstock and top of frame too. Look for ripples in fork chrome. Ideally, you'd remove them, strip up down and roll them on a super flat surface to gauge if they're at all bent.

Otherwise cosmetic stuff will cost you this for new genuine parts from Fowlers (much of this only comes up on ebay infrequently or only in damaged condition):
Headlight cluster - £230 new (make sure you get a UK light pattern one, shared with FZS1000)
Nose cone - £200 fully painted
Decals - £35 each, but optional of course.
Fairing bracket - £160 (this is likely bent, might be able to hammer it back at a push though, but it's tough to get perfectly true)
Side nose cone brackets bent? - £10-15 each
Mirrors still good? pivot often snaps in a crash - £80 each (shared with FZS1000)
Not sure on alternator cover

This plus cost of forks will be more then two thirds the bike's value and so almost certainly a Cat-N write off.

Should give you an idea on price to fix. Fairing/lights/nose cone is all easy to replace. Strip down and replacement of forks etc, I'd recommend getting a garage to sort out (unless you've done it before and have the appropriate tools handy). See what salvage cost they want for the bike, then do the maths.

Personally, IIWY I'd see what you can get from insurers, argue the toss against their first low ball valuation and then just put the money towards a Euro-3 replacement bike.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2019, 11:36:09 pm »
Tough call Tom, but i'd buy it back- you'll make the money in selling off the parts on flea bay if need be.
why not go naked- you could always turn to the dark side  :evil
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2019, 09:35:29 am »
It all depends how much the bike is worth to you and whether you can afford to run it as well as a bike to get in to London.

Fixing it will probably cost you more than you could sell it for, as a write-off, even if it's fixed perfectly, will always be harder to sell.

Unfortunately, knowing insurance companies, you will take a hit, but it may be a bigger hit to fix it when you've got to get a new bike anyway.

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2019, 03:48:14 pm »
Thanks guys, great info.

I had been flip flopping on whether I would be keeping it after buying something newer anyway, as maintaining/insuring two bikes plus a car was starting to sound like a tall order. I guess I just didnt want to see it go out this way:lol

Since I was not at fault (other party admitted fault), I suppose even a high ball offer (if they dont just offer me the insured valued, since they would be recovering costs off the other insurer anyway?) I could end up eating all of it and maybe then some [/size]after buying back the bike and sourcing all of the parts!
[/size]
[/size]Stuff to think about I guess. It was collected yesterday, so I guess within the next week or so I should have some kind of answer.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2019, 04:29:06 pm »
Yes, it's a shame to see a Fazer lost to the road, but it's what's the best solution for you.

Do you have the bike and have the insurers examined it? If you can, take any extras like your heated grips off, you could use them on another bike or sell them on.

It's not clear whether your forks are knackered, but if they are i'd also be worried about whether there's damage to the frame that you can't see.

Personally, if the forks were repairable rather than needing replacement, I'd go down the naked route and keep it as a fun bike, but I don't have to worry about the ULEZ! I think, in your case, you'd be better off getting what you can for it and putting it towards your new bike.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2019, 03:45:08 pm »
Hope it all works out for you. I've been lucky and never had to deal with insurance companies. I'd be interested to know how the whole process works. If you were willing to do a bit of a write up on it I think that could help out people. Just a general summary no personal details and if you had any advice for people in case it happens to them

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2019, 11:48:46 am »
Belated response, however non-fault, front end damage only, most likely a Category N write off (non-structural / repairable)?
Look around the headstock area for signs of damage, warped metal or flaking of the paint around the welds, as this could indicate the frame is bent (game over).

So you'd get about £1K from the insurance company, plus the option to buy the bike back for a couple of hundred max, from salvagers.

Then you could fix it up with decent 2nd hand parts, turn it into a project, would only need an MOT to put it back on the road (if only a Cat N).
Or strip it and sell the parts - You'll soon forget the sentimental thoughts when you see 5 or 600 in the bank from selling on the parts alone (I went through the same thing with a previous bike).