Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:46 pm

Author Topic: Bike dolley  (Read 1354 times)

rocky1966

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Bike dolley
« on: 24 February 2019, 05:59:27 pm »
Has anyone on here, got a motorbike dolly?
Platform with 4 castor's on it. So you can put bike on it's centre stand, and move your bike into tight spots in garage, or just spin it around. I'm thinking of getting one that's all. And would like a recommendation on one, if possible?
Cheers for any comments

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Bike dolley
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2019, 11:11:38 am »
I've seen these being demonstrated on youtube. Was looking into them also at one point.

It would be simple to make your own - can buy castor wheels, plus more than enough metal tubing / wood, from hardware stores.
Plus ideally you'd want the Castors mounted on the outsides of the 'base' to keep its height low, so easy to push bike on and off without a difficult "ramp" to overcome.
Also!... you'd want castors with brakes, so the unit doesn't roll off while you are attempting to push the motorcycle onto it!

It might not even need to be full length (to accommodate all of the bike - both wheels). Could be just a foot long, for one wheel of the motorcycle, so the bike is pivoted with one wheel on the ground, to be able to rotate the whole bike 360 degrees in its spot and change its orientation. For example ride into garage forward - spin it around on the dolly 180 degrees, and its ready to ride out forward next outing. 8) No 10 point turn necessary (unless you have the luxury of a double garage)!  :)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2019, 02:13:10 pm »
There's currently a live thread on this exact issue in the link below

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,25008.0.html
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2019, 02:28:02 pm »
My dad has one to let him slide his FZS600 into the corner of the garage. It is a feccin menace due to the way if gets stuck on the smallest of stones on the floor, or tries to roll away when your putting the bike on it. I hate the thing. I would rather jig the bike backwards and forwards to get the position right but I can see why some people (like my dad) like to use them.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2019, 02:35:09 pm »
My dad has one to let him slide his FZS600 into the corner of the garage. It is a feccin menace due to the way if gets stuck on the smallest of stones on the floor, or tries to roll away when your putting the bike on it. I hate the thing. I would rather jig the bike backwards and forwards to get the position right but I can see why some people (like my dad) like to use them.
Its amazing how much you can move the bike by pushing forward and back even by just a couple of inches, full lock each way of course. If those wheels were softer it would prevent it getting stuck on little stones and matchsticks   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2019, 12:16:28 pm »
A bike is awkward enough as it is to push around. Putting it on a dolly sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

daviee

« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2019, 03:47:32 pm »
once you get used to them they are fine to use

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2019, 11:02:27 am »
Couple of other options I've seen, people swivel the bike 180 degrees pivoted on the side stand alone! Risking the side stand failing randomly as its exerting forces on it that aren't designed.

The other one (I've used a few times) is standing behind the bike holding the rear pegs or fairing, then carefully lift the rear wheel off the ground while moving it sideways a few inches at a time, to slowly turn the bike round.

daviee

« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2019, 06:38:50 pm »
side stand is more than capable of holding the weight of thee bike its a well known way of turning bikes used to do it with all  the superbikes of old z1000s etc never ever seen a stand fail they are well over designed to hold the weight of the bikes

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2019, 11:32:29 am »
side stand is more than capable of holding the weight of thee bike its a well known way of turning bikes used to do it with all  the superbikes of old z1000s etc never ever seen a stand fail they are well over designed to hold the weight of the bikes

Great to know thanks! My Fazer has fallen over in strong winds on its centre stand before! :eek
Side stand would be more resilient in such conditions perhaps, as it holds the bike in a more 'sturdy' position.

Concerning the Bike dolley - that OTHER thread someone suggested the 'lazy susan' rotating base, which when fitted with a suitable 'top' (piece of ply) would offer a more controlled method of spinning the bike round. Worth a look.