Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:50 pm

Author Topic: New Owner In Louth  (Read 1846 times)

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
New Owner In Louth
« on: 08 January 2019, 09:14:03 pm »
Hello all,

I'm just finalising the purchase of a 2001 model with just 8.5k on the clock. It's owned by a work colleague and it's been well looked after.
She's silver and totally standard.

I'm planning on doing the twin headlight wiring trick & replacing the front sprocket nut which are things I've read about.
Is there anything else I need to be aware of or should do?

Anybody local to Louth or Grimsby?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: New Owner In Louth
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2019, 05:51:50 am »
Hello Middy, welcome to the site fella.

If the bike's been well looked after as you say, and has been started up and run fairly regularly, plus stored in a good place, then at that sort of mileage there's nothing outstanding that really needs doing.
I'm guessing you've still got a lot of OEM parts on the bike from new so maybe the only thing i might be concerned about due to age would be tyres if they were still the original ones but other than that if it's all running well then you're just in time for the snow we're about to get next week.  :lol :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2019, 07:54:29 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Yes she's totally original. At last MOT she had a new battery and tyres. She been idle for a couple of years but stored inside & kept ticking over. Part of the deal is she gets a service and a years ticket so if there is anything I'll know before.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2019, 11:10:28 am »
Search on here for exhaust header stud nuts. Have a look at yours to to check that they have not been knackered. But by the sound of it they should be ok.The problem with storing and ticking it over every now and then is that it does not get hot enough to fully get rid of the normal by-product condensation that will sit in the collector area of the exhaust - were 4 go int 1 picture here 

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2019, 01:35:16 pm »
If it’s been idle i would definitely give the brake pistons a good clean up, and use red rubber grease on them.
The calipers could be an issue if not used regularly.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2019, 02:27:32 pm »
Changing the brake hoses is another consideration as they're almost 18 years old. Hel's are reasonable enough with the forum's discount code.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the useful tips gang. Hopefully the MOT will weed out any serious issues but straight after purchase she's going into my local garage for the once over.

I've seen a guy on ebay selling twin headlight electrics that are plug and play but I thought they involved cutting & joining into the existing cables?
Also is it easy enough just to fit some led bulbs to boost the headlights? Any do's or dont's on this front?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2019, 10:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the useful tips gang. Hopefully the MOT will weed out any serious issues but straight after purchase she's going into my local garage for the once over.

I've seen a guy on ebay selling twin headlight electrics that are plug and play but I thought they involved cutting & joining into the existing cables?
Also is it easy enough just to fit some led bulbs to boost the headlights? Any do's or dont's on this front?

It's the headlight reflectors that are the problem, rather than the bulbs themselves.
I've looked into fitting LED bulbs but the H1 bulb housing doesn't allow for anything other than a plain bulb, with no extras on the back of it.
Wouldn't be a problem if both sides were H4.
Unless you go full on with HID lamps then the next best improvement is additional spotlights which do work well.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2019, 10:25:14 pm »
Ah right, so there's little or no space behind the casing for LED.
HID an option if there was somebody local to do it. Not something I'd probably try & do myself.

The spotlight option seems good, seen some posts where they've been bolted to the outside of the radiator. I'm assuming it's then easy to pick up a feed from the current headlight?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2019, 07:08:25 am »
Ah right, so there's little or no space behind the casing for LED.
HID an option if there was somebody local to do it. Not something I'd probably try & do myself.

The spotlight option seems good, seen some posts where they've been bolted to the outside of the radiator. I'm assuming it's then easy to pick up a feed from the current headlight?

Had mine wired independently with their own on/off switch on the bars, and i'm really glad it was done that way now.
I use them as daylight running lights during summer, they are so bright they really get you noticed but they draw very little power in comparison to the headlights so it does your battery good as well.
In winter i put the spots on as well as the headlights, and together i can actually see the road ahead of me for a change, plus having the 4 lights on also gets you noticed even more. 
The spots are aiming downwards about 25ft ahead of me so not upsetting any oncoming drivers at all.

These are the headlight bulbs i now use, they are a bit whiter than the Osram or Philips alternatives. I've tried them all and must say these look the best out of the 3, but still look poor compared to the spotlight outputs.
As i said, it's not the bulbs, it's the reflector unit that's rubbish.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

Codes needed are H1ibL, and H4ibL

The above lights are on sale if anyone wants to try them in their cars as well, they're cheap enough.  :thumbup

« Last Edit: 10 January 2019, 07:12:41 am by darrsi »

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2019, 07:48:11 am »
That's great, don't suppose you've a link to your spotlights have you?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2019, 01:17:19 pm »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile