Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:11 pm

Author Topic: Bike stored for 8 years, will run but only on 3 cyclinders.  (Read 1697 times)

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
    • View Profile
Bike stored for 8 years, will run but only on 3 cyclinders.
« on: 08 January 2019, 03:16:14 pm »
Just got a 2002 FZS 600 from my brother which has been stored in his garage for 8 years or so, only done 16000 miles. Throttle was completely stuck closed so first thing was to take off the carbs to find out why. The carb with the TPS had a load of green crystalised gunk blocking  it shut so cleaned it out and checked the jets which appeared clear. The port from the engine side down to the choke plunger was blocked but cleared.

Said choke plunger was also stuck and in trying to pull it out, the little head came off.  It's free now but the choke will only operate on the other 3 cylinders. So put it all back together, fresh petrol, new oil and filter and it started up fairly quickly but only on 3 cylinders as said. Checked sparks and swapped over 3 and 4 plugs to make sure it was not a duff plug but still no 4 is not firing.

I am going to check the compression when I get a 10mm adapter but until then I am a bit stumped. Carbs have been out twice now and the offending no 4 carb is clear, I am almost certain. When I have confirmed that I have compression and spark is there any way to check that fuel is getting to no 4 without taking the carbs off again ?

Any help or ideas  appreciated.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Bike stored for 8 years, will run but only on 3 cyclinders.
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2019, 05:49:56 pm »
Have you tried swapping the plug caps?
What does the plug look like when you get it out?
I'd it dry or wet?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2019, 06:42:22 pm »
Have you tried swapping the plug caps?
What does the plug look like when you get it out?
I'd it dry or wet?
yep try that. the caps twist off the leads. give the ends of the leads a trim. try starting it. if it's still the same after that, try dribbling a small bit of petrol into cylinder 4 and see if it goes. if it does then it's likely a carb issue like a blocked idle circuit jet

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2019, 07:21:31 pm »
If I put a spare plug in the lead and rest it on the cylinder head, there is a healthy spark. Spark plug when taken out does seem to be on the dry side. What do you think about putting a tube/pipe full of petrol with a bit of a restriction in it, on to the carb balancing inlet stub to let it be sucked in under vacuum ?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2019, 08:11:37 pm »
you still have blocked jets on the cylinder that isnt running
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2019, 08:19:51 pm »
I have had carb no 4 in bits, and all the screw in jets are clean and clear and blown through with compressed air. The float valve is working fine as a check on the level with a clear pipe proves. it does seem obvious that something is amiss with that carb but I cannot figure out where.

That is why I will do a compression check before pulling the carbs out for the 3rd time. What do you reckon to my pipe full of petrol onto the capped off vacuum pipe idea just to see if no 4 cylinder fires ?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2019, 08:42:18 pm »
Most likely it would flood. A few drops drops directly into the cylinder is all you need. If it fires once then it confirms the spark is good, the compression is good and that carb 4 is at fault

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2019, 08:50:38 pm »
OK, will try it tomorrow. :)

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2019, 08:57:17 pm »
Good chance it will still be the carbs. I’ve bench cleaned quite a few from different bikes when they’ve been left standing and I’ve come to the conclusion that ultrasonic cleaning is the only way to fully clean the idle circuits. I’ve recently invested in a cleaning bath and got the carbs sorted on an old XJR400 first time with it. Previous owner allegedly paid £150 for a bike shop to do them but they were still nowhere near correct.

bernieeccles

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2019, 09:38:16 pm »
Update to my situation:

Despite cleaning the offending carb as best I could, cylinder No4 would still not fire, so bit the bullet and managed to find a complete set from a 2003 at a local bike breakers for £60. Installed them tonight and it's running nicely on 4 cylinders now. Only issue is the TPS on the replacement carbs is showing 10000 and not 5000 when tested, whereas the old one was spot on. Still no big deal as I will adjust it when I dig out the security torx bits.

So thanks to all that offered advice.

One other thing, when I took off the float chamber lid to access the jets, the small one next to the main jet looks as though there is no hole. I assume this is correct as I checked the same one in the next carb and that was just the same. Anybody know why it is blank ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2019, 10:31:50 pm »
Update to my situation:

Despite cleaning the offending carb as best I could, cylinder No4 would still not fire, so bit the bullet and managed to find a complete set from a 2003 at a local bike breakers for £60. Installed them tonight and it's running nicely on 4 cylinders now. Only issue is the TPS on the replacement carbs is showing 10000 and not 5000 when tested, whereas the old one was spot on. Still no big deal as I will adjust it when I dig out the security torx bits.

So thanks to all that offered advice.

One other thing, when I took off the float chamber lid to access the jets, the small one next to the main jet looks as though there is no hole. I assume this is correct as I checked the same one in the next carb and that was just the same. Anybody know why it is blank ?

TPS might just need a simple adjustment, but once done keep checking it every few days to see if remains on the 5000 mark.
If it doesn't then it could be on its way out, one of mine stayed on the 10,000 mark.
If it is that, don't buy a used one, just get a new one, there are plenty on Ebay for £65-£75.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2019, 06:27:31 am »

The "jet" is a blanking plug to seal the end of an internal petrol feed within the carburettor.    The easiest way to make the internal feed when manufacturing the carb is to drill it out and then fit the plug to close the end of the hole