Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:14 pm

Author Topic: Rear shock durability  (Read 1423 times)

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Rear shock durability
« on: 09 January 2019, 01:16:39 pm »
Rear shock seem to be getting a bit tired after 62000 miles.
I don't take pillions, but the compression damping isn't as good as it was, and the spring is tired as it seems to sit lower than it used to.

How long have others stock shock lasted?

I do 300 miles a week commuting and do not spend any money on the bike I don't have to, was thinking of the YSS ones from the bay as replacement.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock durability
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2019, 01:27:38 pm »
From memory on here before the rear shock starts getting a bit tired after around 20,000 miles, obviously depending on riding style, speed bumps, etc.
Unfortunately the rear shock, and front discs, are two of the most expensive replacement items on these bikes.

I did buy a refurbished one off a fellow foccer though, so there is always that option, and is fine for my commute to work.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2019, 01:59:46 pm »
I get about 100k from them, but I don't weigh much so they probably have an easier time.
YSS is probably a better bet than a used low milage shock (if you can't stretch to the preferred option of a converted R6 shock).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2019, 04:23:48 pm »
I get about 100k from them, but I don't weigh much so they probably have an easier time.
YSS is probably a better bet than a used low milage shock (if you can't stretch to the preferred option of a converted R6 shock).

That's what I mean, I used to carry a pillion quite often, have speed bumps to and from work, a top box that's normally at least half full, plus I'm not exactly the lightest person about (ahem), so it does all add up over time to being rear shock abuse.  :lol
« Last Edit: 09 January 2019, 06:26:43 pm by darrsi »

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
62 k they were tired from new look up shock upgrade their are a few mods you can do depending on how tight you are  :lol

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2019, 12:43:41 pm »
How do you know if the shock is bad? 

I've been riding on 2 different Fazers for the last 7 years and I don't have a clue whether the shock was bad or not. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2019, 01:05:06 pm »

I've been riding on 2 different Fazers for the last 7 years and I don't have a clue whether the shock was bad or not.

You soon know if the oil leaks, i was going around corners riding on the spring, it felt like the rear tyre was badly sliding.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2019, 07:30:13 am »

You soon know if the oil leaks, i was going around corners riding on the spring, it felt like the rear tyre was badly sliding.

:agree When my shock was knackered I got rear wheel movement up and down, basically it feels a bit bouncy and you get wallowing when turning, especially 2 up or at high speeds. If the bike feels well planted and not squirrely then the shocks probably just tired but probably not going to fail an mot. If you can't hold a good line in a sweeper or tight curves are hard to take at speed, it'll be shot- get rid of and replace soon as.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.