Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:23 pm

Author Topic: Exup serviced, snapped bolt sorted  (Read 786 times)

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup serviced, snapped bolt sorted
« on: 06 January 2019, 07:21:03 pm »
so in my haste to give my new ‘04 thou a thorough going over I stripped the exup for a clean and regrease. Rear bolt snapped, this was well before Xmas   :rolleyes  So I left it alone as didn’t have any taps or easy outs etc, and it just sat there stripped in garage for a month :o  Anyway, Mate came over today and drilled it and retapped the thread for me :) so I’m a happy man. Just put it back together after giving the shaft a clean up with some emery, then a smear of copper grease on the moving parts and the new bolts I got. It is slightly out of adjustment with the ignition on, but functions fine and it goes like a bastard anyway as I just found out. I’ll have a go at adjusting the cables and center the fork thing over the hole after work one evening this Week.

Then it’s an oil change and pray for some dry days that ain’t so cold so I can use it a bit. It’s bogging a bit at low revs but it’s stood for a year prior to me buying it off its old owner. I’m thinking a couple of tanks of super through it and some serious rape should clear them carbs out

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Exup serviced, snapped bolt sorted
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 07:28:26 pm »
Jeez, your mate wouldn’t come round and do mine would he, I tried it and failed miserably even with cobalt bits.

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2019, 07:34:48 pm »
Jeez, your mate wouldn’t come round and do mine would he, I tried it and failed miserably even with cobalt bits.

Only took him an hour, he drilled it with a small one first then the right one before taping it with a shallow tap, then a bigger tap. Plenty of lube during the process. He’s a fabricator/welder tho and has access to a full engineering setup. I owe him one now lol, although I did dj at his daughters bday a couple of years back so maybe we’re quits lol. He’s a top lad anyhow and my main riding buddy  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
glad you got it sorted feller. I remember snapping mine very well..