Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:39 am

Author Topic: Tail tidy  (Read 4164 times)

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
Tail tidy
« on: 01 January 2019, 06:00:06 pm »
Hi guys, has anyone fitted a tail tidy to a gen 1 fazer? I can see lots for sale on Ebay for the FZ1 but not for my Gen 1
Cheers John
"Scattered showers my arse"........ Noah

FILZ6

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kawasaki Z1000sx
    • View Profile
Re: Tail tidy
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
Hello John.  Is it the panel that goes under the seat in place of the rear mudguard that your looking for? Under tray or just a number plate holder?
If so I think I have an under tray in my garage, bought for my gen1 years ago and never fitted. Let me know if that is what your after and I will try and dig it out and send you some photos of it.
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2019, 08:17:25 pm by FILZ6 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2019, 08:18:35 pm »
Fitting an undertray is really the only way to go to minimalise the rear end, but not a 5 minute job. Ermax still make them, but would need spraying. If you go this route and need any info, drop me a pm.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2019, 08:40:37 pm »
Hi guys, its the numberplate and indicator holder that I am looking for, just to get rid of the black plastic rear fender.Cheers John

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2019, 09:22:53 pm »
I don't think anyone makes a Gen1 specific tail tidy any more. They didn't 3 years ago when I wanted one. Motrax do a universal number plate/indicator mount that's adjustable in height and width, depending on what size plate you're going to use. You could fit that and cut down the original plate holder to suit. It comes in black or silver if I remember correctly. Got mine from J&S.

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2019, 07:51:35 am »
Thanks Robbo, I never thought to look for universal  :rolleyes . All I want to do is to move the indicators further back so they dont get fouled when I put the throw over panniers on.

Cheers John

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2019, 09:58:56 am »
Hi guys, its the numberplate and indicator holder that I am looking for, just to get rid of the black plastic rear fender.Cheers John

you,ll miss that when it rains dude... ;)

John_FJ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FJ1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2019, 07:14:37 pm »
I have found an adjustable indicator holder that fits on the back of the number plate. this should give me just enough movement so the panniers dont foul. Also hardly any modding apart from maybe extendeing the indicator wires.

Thanks for the replies.
Cheers John

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2019, 06:28:31 pm »

I just cut down the stock one - looks a lot neater.

FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2019, 07:22:53 pm »
Me too...cheap, fast & effective! :D

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2019, 09:36:07 pm »
That looks lovely Andy - do you have a full bike photo, I've heard of someone wanting to get that type of design on a 600 Fazer and they'd like to see what it could look like.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2019, 01:55:15 pm »

In your opinion. I think that cut down rear mudguards look like the bike has been poorly repaired after a rear end collision. Having a stick on reflector re-enforces the look. Each to his own.

Seeing as gen 1 parts are most unlikely to be re-made and values are widely predicted to increase (on here at least) I would think long and hard before cutting down a perfectly good rear mud guard. The value difference between an 4XV R1 that's intact at the rear and one that isn't proves the point.

is it clean enough?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2019, 03:21:36 pm »

In your opinion. I think that cut down rear mudguards look like the bike has been poorly repaired after a rear end collision. Having a stick on reflector re-enforces the look. Each to his own.

Seeing as gen 1 parts are most unlikely to be re-made and values are widely predicted to increase (on here at least) I would think long and hard before cutting down a perfectly good rear mud guard. The value difference between an 4XV R1 that's intact at the rear and one that isn't proves the point.
Exactly why I bought a 2nd hand rear mudguard assembly to cut up when fitting my under tray. The 8000 mile original is bubble wrapped in the loft. :)

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2019, 01:20:47 pm »

Exactly why I bought a 2nd hand rear mudguard assembly to cut up when fitting my under tray. The 8000 mile original is bubble wrapped in the loft. :)

Indeed - me too. I still have the original intact undertray (along with lots of other original spares). I definitely prefer the cut-down look though. If done well, it looks good in my opinion and definitely not a collision repair.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2019, 01:54:16 pm »
I cut mine down, bikes done 44k tho and I only paid £1500 for it, although it is pretty immaculate. It will get ridden  into the ground but well serviced, but it’s not likely to be a show queen
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 02:11:59 pm by Stinka »

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2019, 01:57:20 pm »

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2019, 02:12:40 pm »

"That looks lovely Andy - do you have a full bike photo, I've heard of someone wanting to get that type of design on a 600 Fazer and they'd like to see what it could look like."

Hi,
I haven't checked in for a while so didn't see your post! :rolleyes ...I'll find some pics & put them up.
 :)

Really? Really???

Seeing as Gen 1 parts are most unlikely to be re-made and values are widely predicted to increase (on here at least) I would think long and hard before cutting down a perfectly good rear mud guard. The value difference between an 4XV R1 that's intact at the rear and one that isn't proves the point.
Like most of us who modify our bikes, I too tend to get a used "whatever-it-is" to modify & keep standard the part for use when reselling....I've got all the "take-off" parts from my Fazer.

"...widely predicted to increase..."
Whose doing the predicting?
There were such a large amount of Gen 1's made anyway that I can't see that used parts will become very scarce or prices likely to rise significantly, especially amidst the owners forum....this is a community of like minded owners & enthusiasts after all, not an internet bike breakers.

« Last Edit: 15 January 2019, 10:15:36 am by Andy W »

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2019, 10:06:57 am »
That looks lovely Andy - do you have a full bike photo, I've heard of someone wanting to get that type of design on a 600 Fazer and they'd like to see what it could look like.

Here's some pics!  :D

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2019, 10:10:34 pm »
Thank s Andy, very, very nice  :thumbup

t140

• Weekend Warrior