Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:49 am

Author Topic: Help with wiring up a new headlight  (Read 2201 times)

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Help with wiring up a new headlight
« on: 30 December 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
Just after a bit of help as to where to start with wiring up a new headlight, so i sold the original fazer bikini fairing lights n all (to a member on heres friend), i bought myself a new headlight fairing which for the money looks good and the headlight its self looks like it will be better than the original pile of crap.
At the minute all my wiring is still standard and taped up, the new headlamp has 2 x H1 bulbs and only 3 wires coming out of the back which makes things simple for the waterproof connectors i have.
My question is how do i convert the std wiring which was 2 x headlight plugs into 1??is it a case of just cut the std loom and start again, or is there some wizardry to get it working all ok hi/lo beam

Thanks in advance

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Help with wiring up a new headlight
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2018, 07:40:20 am »
Can't see how 2 x H1 bulbs would get through an MOT, as they're both single filament and you won't have a pass light or high beam that works?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2018, 09:32:15 am »
I don't believe a pass light is required for a MOT so long as the headlight(s)has a switch that works for high beam/low beam but do check with your MOT place.
As darrsi says two H1's won't work as only one filament in each.   

daviee

« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2018, 01:50:41 pm »
if it has the switch for a pass light it must work as for 2 h1 lights depends pn the reflector one could be hi beam and one could be low beam either way it has to be e marked and show a proper beam on low and hi beam or it will fail

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2018, 02:39:52 pm »
I've moved out of the UK now back living with my family in lithuania (yes im english)

So upon another look there are 3 wires coming from each light (twin) that go into a connector with 3 wires, i presume that one will be for hi beam and one for low.
https://imgur.com/a/ERRuwmO
https://imgur.com/a/ERRuwmO

either way i plan to buy some U5 125w cree spotlights so these could be wired as Hi beam if the unit ive bought will not do hi/lo

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 02:57:29 pm »
if it has the switch for a pass light it must work as for 2 h1 lights depends pn the reflector one could be hi beam and one could be low beam either way it has to be e marked and show a proper beam on low and hi beam or it will fail

Agrees with above, if a item specific switch is fitted the part it is fitted to must work, there are some strange anomalies with the MOT system.

IE: If a motorcycle has a dual seat a tester can fail it if no rear footrests are fitted, as I found out when I took my C90 for its test after the full rebuild last winter 2017-2018, thankfully Darren let it go on the promise that I fitted them ASAP.

See pic foot rests fitted on the Chicken Chaser
If a motorcycle is capable of carrying two people (Dual seat) then appropriate foot rests must be provided.  :z
« Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 03:01:36 pm by tommyardin »

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2018, 06:48:45 pm »
The black wire looks thinner in the pictures.  It could be white and green for the bulb ant the black wire is for the shutter to mask half the light for dipped beam like HID lamps use.
Take the rubber boots of the back of the headlights should show what is going on

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2019, 08:39:36 pm »
ok cheers for your input that i shall do, and run a bit of wire from the battery that been charged off the bike to see if that makes head or tail of it

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2019, 04:26:20 pm »
Ok so having diving into it i have some pictures of the headlight unit / fairing its not going to be to everbody taste but for me its perfect.To clear up previous answers about it not passing an MOT it does have  dip/full beam capabilties so that sorts that little problem out.
I just some input regarding the wiring up process, obviously the fazer has 4 wires (2 each side) so what goes where to make 3 wires

https://imgur.com/a/Qtghx8O

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2019, 10:24:22 pm »
I haven't seen the 600 headlight setup so I could be wrong but looking at the wiring diagram in the link

Black/Blue is Low beam. 12V on this wire when you turn ignition on and light switch on
Black/Yellow is Hi beam. 12V here when you press the Hi switch on handlebar
Black Constant Ground there's two black wires. One in each connector.

Is this the right wiring diagram for your bike? http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=4

« Last Edit: 20 January 2019, 03:35:53 pm by His Dudeness »

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2019, 03:02:05 pm »
 :thumbup
Tip Top thanks for the info, so it going to be very straight forward to wire up now, just need to get the crimping tool and the soldering iron out and get it wired up, well after ive made a suitable clock bracket.
Thanks His Dudeness

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2019, 03:35:27 pm »
No problem. For the low beam that last post should have said turn ignition on and turn light switch on.

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2019, 10:55:00 am »
Could I ask where to get lights and fairings like that? Since mine was kicked over when parked I haven't bothered fixing it (cheap runaround bike) but pondering tidying up the front completely.

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2019, 10:19:45 am »
Could I ask where to get lights and fairings like that? Since mine was kicked over when parked I haven't bothered fixing it (cheap runaround bike) but pondering tidying up the front completely.
I just got it off ebay for £37.99 delivered black/blue/red/silver/chrome options, it needs 2 headlamp brackets to fix to but that a minor problem.my only small gripe with it is the indicators are not to my taste and i wanted/want to fit my own LED ones but they point inwards and look cack.
So i need to either buy some spacers or something or just cut them off completely

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2019, 01:11:50 pm »
I just got it off ebay for £37.99 delivered black/blue/red/silver/chrome options, it needs 2 headlamp brackets to fix to but that a minor problem.my only small gripe with it is the indicators are not to my taste and i wanted/want to fit my own LED ones but they point inwards and look cack.
So i need to either buy some spacers or something or just cut them off completely
Thanks! Had a look at eBay but was unable to find anything suitable. Ebay's search functions sucks balls.