Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:12 pm

Author Topic: finally ivanising..  (Read 6713 times)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: finally ivanising..
« Reply #50 on: 16 January 2019, 01:21:17 pm »
Nicely done Paul.
Have you taken the bike out for a spin since?
Be interesting to see whether you notice a further improvement or not.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 January 2019, 07:07:08 pm »
no was too cold by the time I finished last night dave, didn't feel like it. was going to tonight but been changing the tyres on me onda  :) 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 January 2019, 07:08:44 pm »
franks loving that heater.... :lol

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 January 2019, 07:37:12 pm »
He's a good old boy  :)

What tyres did you go for on the CB?
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 January 2019, 08:49:24 pm »
bt016s. just love em. when I lived in the fens I needed tyres that wore well, as I had to ride a lot of straight roads to find some twisties. now I actually live on a twisty (with plenty more around as we both know buddy) i'll stick with rubber that warms up very quickly no matter what the temperature outside, and handles like a flippin demon. I know i'll only get 2k out of the pair on the big heavy grunty honda, but running three bikes means thats realistically easily a full season...and I don't like using tyres past a year old Anyhoo, so at £130 a pop its making good sense to me. hopefully weather will hold over the weekend, I can try the fazer then.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 16 January 2019, 08:51:40 pm »
ill stick the avons on the fazer when we go to France mate so they wont be wasted.. ;)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 21 January 2019, 07:26:46 pm »

two things I noticed on my very cold commute this morning now the bike is ivanised and the carbs are balanced,.
firstly, its a super smooth turbine now. Glitch free(once warm) and strong,  it actually feels like a pukka track bike (in terms of fuelling), and whilst thats really nice, I actually miss the character a bit the engine had when it was stock (fuelling rich low down). not enough to want it back tho   :lol :lol
You just cant win with some people, right? lol..
You can really feel its a lot leaner low down, and whereas before you could knock the choke of almost instantly, you've now got to feather it off over five miles or so on a really cold day like today. the plus side (along with of course that it runs perfectly now once warm) is the improved fuel economy. Unless ive got me figures wrong its getting between 20-35 miles extra a tank, depending on how im riding. Thats fairly extraordinary to say the least.
Still getting used to the top end pull it has now...gonna be eating some tyres this summer  :) .

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 January 2019, 08:14:23 pm »
I think you are the first guy I have heard say they are getting improved mpg after Ivanising.Mine dropped over 40 miles per tank.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 January 2019, 08:39:27 pm »
Seems odd to me.My choke became just about obsolete once it was Ivanised.  I only need to use it when it's really cold.Which I thought made sense as surely opening up the by-pass holes makes it richer at the bottom end.MPG, just the same if maybe a wee bit more, as I wasn't knocking it down to 4th to go through towns any more.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 January 2019, 08:56:21 pm »
aha. so is mine running too lean you think?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 21 January 2019, 09:03:33 pm »
the only way to know for sure is a dyno run I spose..

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 January 2019, 09:08:27 pm »
I'd agree regarding the choke becoming redundant after Ivanising, although not used much in winter. Couldn't comment on mpg as Mike worked his magic when I'd just bought the bike, but get around 180ish before the light comes on if not used too enthusiastically.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2019, 09:10:04 pm »
im wondering if ive altered something when I balanced the carbs. I initially turned the screws way to far, so much so the throttle wouldn't twist.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2019, 09:11:53 pm »
aha. so is mine running too lean you think?
Dunno.  I thought your comments were a wee bit odd.  Unless the weather is cold I don't need the choke.  Been like that since Mike Ivanised it.
The other thing I noticed low down was riding through towns.  OE at small constant throttle openings she surged.  The bike wasn't smooth and settled.  It was a wee bit as if you had a shaky throttle hand.  But after Ivanising it was smooth as silk.
I always figured it ran lean OE to get through the emissions certifications.  Was one of the last bikes on sale with carbs, and basically emissions standards killed off carbs.
Maybe PM Mike. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 January 2019, 09:13:40 pm »
the only way to know for sure is a dyno run I spose..
Double check eveything before you throw money at the dyno.
Ivans kit should be plug and play.  No Dyno time required.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 January 2019, 10:29:57 pm »
yup mate. I'll pm mike.. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 January 2019, 11:35:31 pm »
My bike was a bit of hit and miss to start, very temperamental. I never seemed to have the nack. You needed a bit of throttle,  not to much or it would over rev, to little it would not fire and a mix of choke thrown in.Since Ivanising it has improved but still temperamental and I still don't seem to have the nack.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 January 2019, 08:43:59 am »
Stock fuelling is lean on the bottom end, rich at full throttle.  Ivan's kits specifically address this and it's the reason for opening up the pilot circuit bypass holes, Paul.  As others have said, should require less choke than before now and should be running richer not leaner on part throttle.

You're now going to ask me what might be wrong. :) 

I can't think of anything you would have changed by synch'ing the carbs.  You don't report any symptoms that might suggest carbs incorrectly fitted, which is good. I would focus on mixture screw settings (4 2/3 to 5 turns out with two holes enlarged) and float heights.  My money is on the latter.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 January 2019, 11:16:04 am »

I just thought of summat fellers. I had to get a new plug for the carb manifold take off as it had a dodgy one. the other three looked ok but slipped back on very easily (no pliars to open clips just pushed straight back on)with the clip in situ. im wonder if disturbing them has made them leaky. if so perhaps they leak when its very cold (three degrees yesterday here and just as cold for my run in today) but as the engine heat gets to them tthey flex and expand a tiny bit and seal, hence the problem dissaears. This problem has only manifested since 1) I balanced the carbs 2) I removed and refitted the manifold plugs 3) it got really bloody cold.
So, i'll order new plugs/clips off fowlers today (should have changed them all the first time, just ordering the one the postage was as much as the parts!) if that doesn't sort t carbs off again this weekend, at least ive got that down to an easy job now, and with a big heater in the workshop im enjoying being out there with me dawg and raddyo..and cheers mike, first thing i'll check again is the float heights..
« Last Edit: 22 January 2019, 11:34:59 am by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 January 2019, 11:32:37 am »
actually im in uni this afternoon so ill pop to fowlers first and pick the buggers up...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 22 January 2019, 01:08:38 pm »
Sounds like a plan.Still well impressed you tackled this yourself.  Hope the new plugs and clip do the job.
You will need the choke at 3 degrees C!  Mine will tick over without choke after about a minute or so at that kind of temp.  Though it will take a mile or so before it will accept plenty of throttle without bogging down. 

Bit cold for riding the bike surely.  Snow has appeared to day up here.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 January 2019, 09:23:41 pm »
I cant even contemplate using me van or the car to get into Bristol mate, its 35 mins on the bike, would be 2 hours in a box and cost me a fiver a day to park at uni campus. I think it is them plugs you know....ran perfectly today even though it was snowing and only needed half choke for about a mile. I think they've bedded in now or at least sealed themselves..but went to Fowlers and got four new uns (so I got a spare) Anyhoo, I'll fit them tonight ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 22 January 2019, 10:01:29 pm »
You're riding in the snow :eek

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 February 2019, 08:45:11 pm »

took the carbs off last night and wound the mixture screw in half a turn on every carb, so now 4 and a quarter out instead of 4 and three quarters.
For whatever reason it was an utter bastard to get the carb bank back in the inlets stubs. I actually hurt my bloody back with all the bending and fannying around! once it was all back together I thought "right if its still fluffy when cold it can foccin stay that way"..
fired it up.
finally..perfick.
 this mornings commute was the acid test..hardly needed any choke, ran faultlessly even when cold, and still goes like shit of a shovel at the top.
I have no idea why mine needed tweaking a tad from Ivans specs. Mileage perhaps? (40k) im guessing most where done at low miles. either way I don't care,its sortd thats all that matters.. :) :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 February 2019, 10:55:29 pm »
Sounds good.She should pick up very keenly at 2.5k compared to stock.
And run smooth at 35mph in 5th and 6th wi zero surging.
Hope the back's OK.