Date: 19-04-24  Time: 18:58 pm

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioner  (Read 1597 times)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
Cam chain tensioner
« on: 27 December 2018, 11:41:05 pm »
Hey guys , Just came across this on evilbay...  Has nybody got one fitted and what are your thoughts?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254017967350

daviee

Re: Cam chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2018, 11:50:54 pm »
unless the original fails then leave alone

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2018, 11:54:46 pm »
I don't think mine has failed but its still got a way to go on the auto adjustments but in a year it still hasn't moved to the next stage so still rattles until warm ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2018, 05:29:22 am »
I don't think mine has failed but its still got a way to go on the auto adjustments but in a year it still hasn't moved to the next stage so still rattles until warm ?

Unfortunately they do that. How you ride may be an added factor as well.
The last time i had cam chain noise it took a good part of the year before one day, when i was just leaving work and letting the bike warm up there was suddenly......silence.
I was so used to it chirping away that i thought something was wrong.
Been doing it again for a few months now (a few years later) but i don't do high mileage and get stuck in a lot of work traffic most days so i just expect it to take longer than normal to click.

As for one of these gagdets i'm hearing very mixed reviews. They probably work fine as long as they're not over adjusted which could result in more bad than good for the engine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2018, 08:51:37 am »
Easy to fit, at least you know it's never going to fail, with the accompanying catastrophic result. A few 1000's have had the auto tensioner fail, which ends in tears. There's a youtube video showing how to adjust the manual tensioner.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2018, 10:36:38 am »
Easy to fit, at least you know it's never going to fail, with the accompanying catastrophic result. A few 1000's have had the auto tensioner fail, which ends in tears. There's a youtube video showing how to adjust the manual tensioner.

Is it not just done by slowly adjusting it until you've just got rid of the noise, or is it a bit more involved than that?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2018, 11:52:24 am »
Yep, simple as that. You get a little key gadget with the manual tensioner that locks the auto one in place. Then just measure the amount of adjustment on the original and pre adjust the manual one to match that adjustment. After a year or so, depending on mileage, adjust the manual one to silence any camchain noise that might have occurred.

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
thats not how you adjust a manual tensioner you  wind it in by hand with your fingers then when it stops you back it out 1/4 turn its on the ape site who make them

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2018, 07:36:20 pm »
thats not how you adjust a manual tensioner you  wind it in by hand with your fingers then when it stops you back it out 1/4 turn its on the ape site who make them
What I posted was a paraphrase of the installation instructions I got with mine, and it's been fine since fitting 12,000 miles ago. Mines not made by APE, it's the same as the link first posted by matt7chunk.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2018, 07:45:18 pm by robbo »