Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:03 pm

Author Topic: Greasing my Speedo Drive Help.  (Read 6167 times)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Greasing my Speedo Drive Help.
« Reply #25 on: 23 December 2018, 08:04:12 pm »
It says use lithium based grease not lithium grease so what you have should do fine. I used this stuff just because that's all I had and there was no problems

So yours says Moly grease/ lithium based and mine says Lithium- moly grease, sounds the same but mine is also calling itself CV -constant velocity grease.
I know it probably does not matter that much what I put in there.

Molybenum disulphide is a additive added to lithium based grease for extreme pressure/load.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-multi-purpose-grease-tub-500g/p/0039759?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx63Njt623wIVg-F3Ch2fFw5EEAQYBCABEgKKx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Same thing but more £

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/comma-multi-purpose-grease-500g#

« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 08:49:44 pm by bandit »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 December 2018, 08:44:41 pm »
Yep just general multipurpose grease with no fancy stuff in it is what you want. But at the end of the day it's not a critical part, there's no load going through it, all you're doing is stopping the plastic bit squeeking so I think a small dab of nearly any grease that you've got on the shelf will do the job fine.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2018, 09:06:59 pm »
If you want to get fancy. The manual shows the symbol LS next to the speedo drive so this is what Yamaha recommend using https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/race-grease?b=Search&d=31|31&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 December 2018, 11:06:44 pm »

If you want to get fancy. The manual shows the symbol LS next to the speedo drive so this is what Yamaha recommend using https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/race-grease?b=Search&d=31|31&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

Molybedenum is a general slip agent that is often added to car engine oils, they say it makes oil more slippery without changing the viscocity of the oil. That’s why they (not sure who they are) say you should not use oils with this additive in vehicles with wet clutches.

I have heard others say I have used oil with moly in my bike for years and it’s never done any damage, well good luck.
Yet others will say with equal value I have driven for thousands of miles without a seat belt on and have never gone through a windscreen, well good luck with that one as well.

On the subject of lube for the speed sensor Yamaha probably know best.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 December 2018, 11:19:47 pm »

Molybedenum is a general slip agent that is often added to car engine oils, they say it makes oil more slippery without changing the viscocity of the oil. That’s why they (not sure who they are) say you should not use oils with this additive in vehicles with wet clutches.

I have heard others say I have used oil with moly in my bike for years and it’s never done any damage, well good luck.
Yet others will say with equal value I have driven for thousands of miles without a seat belt on and have never gone through a windscreen, well good luck with that one as well.

On the subject of lube for the speed sensor Yamaha probably know best.

So as we are all saying & Yamaha to, LS = Lightweight Lithium Soap Base Grease. MS = Molybedenum Disulphide Grease.  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 December 2018, 05:12:07 am »
I'm amazed the thing is even still working after 20 years of possibly not being lubed. Would've thought the lugs would've called it a day by now, so without intending to sound negative, don't be totally shocked at the small chance it might fall to bits in your hands when you remove it, because the original rotor sensors are a bit more fragile than the replacement ones.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 December 2018, 12:14:19 pm »
I'm amazed the thing is even still working after 20 years of possibly not being lubed. Would've thought the lugs would've called it a day by now, so without intending to sound negative, don't be totally shocked at the small chance it might fall to bits in your hands when you remove it, because the original rotor sensors are a bit more fragile than the replacement ones.
Although 20 years old its only 21k miles and the last 17k miles have been dry ones. There is no squeaking at the moment.
Yes I have read on here about how fragile they are and wont be surprised to see it in bits. But I had the front tyre replaced back in the summer with no issues, it would of been picked up by the fitter wouldn't it.
When I do it I will document it with lots of pictures to post back here.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 December 2018, 02:04:29 pm »
it would of been picked up by the fitter wouldn't it[/size].
Yes, you have to pull the drive out of the way after you've taken the front wheel spindle out. I remember one grumpy fitter supergluing the lugs back on when I took it in for its first tyre change. Well only fair,  he broke them off  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 December 2018, 02:17:41 pm »
Although 20 years old its only 21k miles and the last 17k miles have been dry ones. There is no squeaking at the moment.
Yes I have read on here about how fragile they are and wont be surprised to see it in bits. But I had the front tyre replaced back in the summer with no issues, it would of been picked up by the fitter wouldn't it.

It's only a plastic ring that needs a splodge of grease on it.

I could probably get you a film crew together though if you wanna go the whole hog.  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 December 2018, 02:19:31 pm »
it would of been picked up by the fitter wouldn't it.
Yes, you have to pull the drive out of the way after you've taken the front wheel spindle out. I remember one grumpy fitter supergluing the lugs back on when I took it in for its first tyre change. Well only fair,  he broke them off  :lol
I have watched them do it - either from afar with the last one or through the steam of a cup of tea the time before that and they just seemed to remove calipers take out the spindle and that was that, didn't see any other "fiddling"
Anyone go any pictures of it in situ as I am not sure how it sits. After removing the calipers and spindle do I remove the wheel by first moving it to the left / away from the sensor whilst supporting the wheel, otherwise the weight of the wheel will snap the lugs wont it ?   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 December 2018, 02:21:01 pm »

It's only a plastic ring that needs a splodge of grease on it.

I could probably get you a film crew together though if you wanna go the whole hog.  :lol
I wanted to document the condition of 20 year old grease how dry - or not it is. But yeh - send them over  :D
« Last Edit: 24 December 2018, 02:22:28 pm by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 December 2018, 04:37:49 pm »
it would of been picked up by the fitter wouldn't it.
I have watched them do it - either from afar with the last one or through the steam of a cup of tea the time before that and they just seemed to remove calipers take out the spindle and that was that, didn't see any other "fiddling"
Anyone go any pictures of it in situ as I am not sure how it sits. After removing the calipers and spindle do I remove the wheel by first moving it to the left / away from the sensor whilst supporting the wheel, otherwise the weight of the wheel will snap the lugs wont it ?   

The outer casing of the sensor has a slot on it which needs to be paired with a guide on the left fork.
Like a sort of tongue and groove scenario.
But it has to be done with the lugs in position and the housing sitting correctly, which is why a good dollop of grease actually helps when refitting.
It is fiddly the first time, but i learned rather quickly when i snapped the lugs on mine not to do it again.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 December 2018, 05:32:54 pm »
As you slide the axle out support the weight of the wheel with your hand ;) You can do it fazersharp we believe in you ;) ......next thread posted is what is the best glue for sticking the tabs back on my speedo :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 March 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
Ok job done today. I now realise that I have only been going half as fast as I thought because I only have 1 lug  :lol
The rotor has already had one of its lugs snapped off by one of the previous tyre fitters  :lmao2 but there did seem to be enough grease and not dry at all. I find it had to believe  its almost 21 year old grease but also hard to believe that one of the tyre monkeys added any either.I cleaned it up and added my own grease so I know its done. I used my RG grease. 
I made some wooden chocks that fit over the lower frame and also took the seat off and added some weights to the top of the undertray.
All torqued up. Not been for a test ride yet to test the rotor - might snap only on one lug with the new stiffer grease.   
Pictures below - first one is the (21 year old grease ? )

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 March 2019, 12:29:02 am »
If anyone asks tell them you were going so fast the speedo couldn't handle the G force and blew apart  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 March 2019, 07:35:15 am »
If anyone asks tell them you were going so fast the speedo couldn't handle the G force and blew apart  ;)

Totally believable with a black bike.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 March 2019, 08:12:40 pm »
Test ride today and the front wheel did not fall off and the spedo is working.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 March 2019, 08:47:47 pm »
Always a good sign when the wheel doesn't fall off

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 March 2019, 09:07:29 pm »
Can not ever be too sure so I stopped a couple of times the check that it was still there.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 29 March 2019, 09:16:43 pm »
Can not ever be too sure so I stopped a couple of times the check that it was still there.
:lol