Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:56 pm

Author Topic: Hand guards  (Read 2601 times)

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
Hand guards
« on: 21 December 2018, 08:34:55 am »
Can we get hand guards for my FZS 600 I would use my heated gloves but my battery screws are not long enough

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Hand guards
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2018, 10:17:55 am »
Don't think you can get hand guards been mentioned before, just get some longer M6 bolts for battery terminals, put nut on bolt up to head cut bolt length required then remove nut which should clean threads & remove burrs. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2018, 11:03:43 am »
No hand guards will fit I have looked into this quite a lot. The problem is that they all touch the fairing towards a full lock, someone on here has moved the fairing forward to accommodate and I think they still slightly touched.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2018, 01:58:46 pm »
I've always wanted hand guards on my bike, but they simply won't fit.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2019, 01:18:19 pm »
I inherited my '03 with hand-guards and they seem to fit fine, it's gone through 6 MOTs and no one ever mentioned anything.  No idea of the make but they look very plasticky, I guess they 'just about' touch the fairing but it's never given me an issue.  Since I changed to Renthals they've not been secured to the ends of the bars, just on the brake/clutch bolts, but they don't flap around much. 
I can't imagine riding without them in winter, even with my heated grips... I'll try and get some photos over the weekend.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2019, 01:28:11 pm »
I inherited my '03 with hand-guards and they seem to fit fine, it's gone through 6 MOTs and no one ever mentioned anything.  No idea of the make but they look very plasticky, I guess they 'just about' touch the fairing but it's never given me an issue.  Since I changed to Renthals they've not been secured to the ends of the bars, just on the brake/clutch bolts, but they don't flap around much. 
I can't imagine riding without them in winter, even with my heated grips... I'll try and get some photos over the weekend.

You MUST have your fairing positioned more forward somehow, i can’t see how it would be possible otherwise?
Absolutely no chance on my bike.  :\

« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 01:31:07 pm by darrsi »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2019, 05:56:35 pm »
:useless I think that its a bit easier on a Foxeye --- is it a foxeye at 03 ? also is it possible they were after market bars to start with.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2019, 03:38:14 pm »
Here are some rubbish pictures...as I said, if I actually attached the guards to the bars then there would probably be about 1/2 cm restricted travel to full lock but seeing as I've also got short levers the fact the guards are pushed back a centimetre or so doesn't seem to matter. I've not failed an MOT anyway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2019, 04:41:57 pm »
Maybe turn the phone sideways and stand back a bit?
All looks a bit tight still, but hard to tell?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2019, 04:47:31 pm »
They look like suzuki v strom hand guards which I have researched myself in the past for my boxeye.
 If you had bar ends fitted then the open "U" shape is supposed to clip onto the bar end weights. From the pictures it looks like you do not have bar ends so that the u shape without bar ends fitted now floats further towards the back of the bike meaning that the guard also sits closer to the leaver and so bringing it clear of the fairing on full lock. And the reason you can get away with doing it like that is because you have shorty leavers. Otherwise the guards would touch the fairing even with the non OEM bars.
 Have I got that right, and going by the mirrors looks like yours a Foxeye.

I am interested to hear that they do not press in at speed despite the lack of the end fitting. Personally I am not brave enough use them like that just incase any "off" resulted in an examination of the bike and it was used as an excuse not to pay out.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2019, 06:35:28 pm by fazersharp »

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2019, 09:18:42 pm »
They look like suzuki v strom hand guards which I have researched myself in the past for my boxeye.
 If you had bar ends fitted then the open "U" shape is supposed to clip onto the bar end weights. From the pictures it looks like you do not have bar ends so that the u shape without bar ends fitted now floats further towards the back of the bike meaning that the guard also sits closer to the leaver and so bringing it clear of the fairing on full lock. And the reason you can get away with doing it like that is because you have shorty leavers. Otherwise the guards would touch the fairing even with the non OEM bars.
 Have I got that right, and going by the mirrors looks like yours a Foxeye.

I am interested to hear that they do not press in at speed despite the lack of the end fitting. Personally I am not brave enough use them like that just incase any "off" resulted in an examination of the bike and it was used as an excuse not to pay out.

Yes, it's an '03 Fox-eye. When I first got the bike back in 2012 it was fitted with standard levers, standard bars with standard bar-ends and there was still no problem with the guards on full lock, not that I noticed with it being my first bike, plus I wasn't "full locking" with any confidence anyway.  I fitted Renthal 758s with the shorty levers about 4 years ago but never got round to fitting bar-ends as the originals didn't fit, it seems to make no difference with the buzzing having ends or not to be honest.  Also as I do a lot of riding in London the wider Renthals with 2 inch bar-ends isn't a desirable combination...