Date: 16-04-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: Road noise back  (Read 1466 times)

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Road noise back
« on: 20 December 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
Ever since I've had the Fazer there has been noise from the front end, more noticeable at lower speeds when riding with the visor up.

At first I changed wheel bearings, checked the speedo hub, greased everything in sight and checked for loose fairing etc, nothing made any difference. I changed the screen and tried taping things up in order to find the source, but after a while I gave up, and ignored it. I've now done 40 odd thousand miles on the bike. I fitted a new tyre yesterday and it came back, I hadn't realised that it had gone away until the first ride this morning.

For the last 10000 miles I've had a Michelin Macadam 100 that I got second hand with a wheel I got from the bay, these have a ribbed centre tread, and while they pick up road imperfections, had dampened the road noise. The 023 has no centre ribs, and this seems to be the source of the noise.   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Road noise back
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2018, 04:08:28 pm »
I've got a noise that i can't fathom out on my bike, had it for months now and just put up with it, as i really don't have a clue what's causing it so can't fix it?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2018, 02:01:23 am »
I have a noise too, like a bearing drone seemingly coming from the front of the bike.
I've replaced the wheel bearings, checked and greased the speedo drive, swapped tyres, even did the rear wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearing as I thought the noise might be 'travelling' through the bike. All to no avail. I've learnt to live with it now!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2018, 07:37:01 am »
The other day i had another spotlight pop on me, about the 4th one now over the last 2 or 3 years.
But they're so cheap to buy and so damn useful i've just been buying more and replacing them, i've had bullet connectors put on the ends then used heatshrink over them to waterproof them.
But the other day on a very cold morning when i had the bike on the choke, i touched one of the spotlights and it was really resonating badly. In fact i immediately thought this must be the reason why these LED's are breaking down, they are being vibrated so much they are being shaken to death.

Again, it's just a theory, but i'm now thinking my annoying noise is another vibration as well. Maybe the metal radiator cover or something?

Problem is the noise only happens when holding speed and accelerating on the throttle, it goes away when the clutch is pulled in so to be honest i'm still none the wiser but at least it's something to consider, which is more than i've had so far.

My spots are connected with the bracket straight to the sides of the radiator, so i need to find some sort of padding, washer, etc, to try and dampen the vibes by taking away the direct metal to metal contact but not really found anything yet that will handle very hot, very cold and be waterproof all at the same time.
Or figure out if something dodgy is causing the vibrations, like a crack somewhere. The carbs were balanced in summer and the bike is otherwise running sweet so all still a mystery to me.
I've not touched the bike over Christmas but have got to use up some holidays very soon so will have time on my hands to do some research and hopefully solve this very annoying puzzle.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2018, 10:23:49 am »

But the other day on a very cold morning when i had the bike on the choke, i touched one of the spotlights and it was really resonating badly. In fact i immediately thought this must be the reason why these LED's are breaking down, they are being vibrated so much they are being shaken to death.

My spots are connected with the bracket straight to the sides of the radiator, so i need to find some sort of padding, washer, etc, to try and dampen the vibes by taking away the direct metal to metal contact but not really found anything yet that will handle very hot, very cold and be waterproof all at the same time.
Or figure out if something dodgy is causing the vibrations, like a crack somewhere. The carbs were balanced in summer and the bike is otherwise running sweet so all still a mystery to me.
I've not touched the bike over Christmas but have got to use up some holidays very soon so will have time on my hands to do some research and hopefully solve this very annoying puzzle.
How about one of these each side between the rad and bracket. https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-holdtite-flat-tap-washers-5-pack/4167j
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 01:47:15 pm »
if you think its the tyre try taking off the front mudgard off and try it could be the tread causing wind rush through the guard making the noise if it goes away try  altering the height of it odd the tyre i have 023s on mine and never notice any tyre noise

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2019, 12:46:47 pm »
if you think its the tyre try taking off the front mudgard off and try it could be the tread causing wind rush through the guard making the noise if it goes away try  altering the height of it odd the tyre i have 023s on mine and never notice any tyre noise

Mudguard "fender extender's" can definitely cause extra wind noise as well because they are even closer to the tyre.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2019, 01:10:39 am »
Mine doesn't have a fender extender on but I have tried taking the mudguard off because I thought the same thing that it could be wind rush between the tyre and the mudguard, but it made no difference. I'll get to the bottom of it one day  :lol

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2019, 08:46:04 am »
Mine doesn't have a fender extender on but I have tried taking the mudguard off because I thought the same thing that it could be wind rush between the tyre and the mudguard, but it made no difference. I'll get to the bottom of it one day  :lol

Have you checked the front indicators where they attach to the fairing, this is a well known rattle point, silicone sealant between the indicator base & outer fairing to cure.Smile
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 08:48:27 am by bandit »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2019, 10:42:45 am »

Have you checked the front indicators where they attach to the fairing, this is a well known rattle point, silicone sealant between the indicator base & outer fairing to cure.Smile

Also wing mirror glass, front fairing shield, and fairing infill panels.
The last 2 mentioned I sorted by using soft Velcro to cushion them before tightening the screws/bolts back up.

Another one that can cause a buzzing is headlight bulbs vibrating in their housing.
On the H1 side I fixed this by using amalgamating tape around the bulb holder.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2019, 12:59:59 am »
Mine isn't a rattle, it sounds like a bearing droning noise when a bearing is knackered.
I'll go through all the above though just to rule things out, thanks.