Author Topic: Clutch  (Read 1393 times)

davep63

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Clutch
« on: 17 December 2018, 04:30:29 pm »
I decided to do a complete clutch replacement on my 2003 Fox eye Fazer. Friction plates Steel plates and 10% unrated springs. Everything came apart nice and easy and the new plates and friction plates all back in the basket. I put the cover plate back on and started to wing the bolts for the springs back in diagonally. Then disaster.... One of the mounting posts on the inner basket snapped completely off. Sid i miss something or have i done anything wrong????

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2018, 06:24:11 pm »
Bet you had the cover plate on wrong. It appears to fit any way, but at one particular rotation it sits slightly deeper and snugger in. So with not in right position, it was prob sticking out too much and on tightening bolts it put too much pressure on and bust stuff.

Not 100% certain of best remedy, may need a new clutch basket now... Ouch!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2018, 07:01:42 pm »
Second hand clutch boss and dump the 10% springs as they ruin the feel of the clutch.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kupplung-Nabe-Federn-Yamaha-FZS-600-RJ02-5DM-98-02/163158924889?hash=item25fd079e59:g:H9QAAOSwKLVbUjAP:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Classic case of having the pressure plate out of correct position and over tightening  the bolts.
The torque on the bolts is only 8Nm not to much more than hand tight

davep63

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2018, 04:43:34 pm »
Had a new basket turn up today and went ahead and fitted it. Everything bolted up ok and nothing broke. Started the bike and on engaging first gear the bike cut out( side stand was up). Adjusted the cable up fully but made no difference. Adjusted the screw at the engine side no difference. Took it all apart again turned the cover plate around bolted everything back up and this time i can select gears but on releasing the clutch lever i have no drive..... any ideas?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2018, 05:48:47 pm »
the cable might be adjusted too tight so it's as if the lever is being pulled in all the time

davep63

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2018, 06:09:46 pm »
cable was fully de-adjusted while i fitted the new clutch.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
I think the 1000’s have a specific order for the friction plates as they aren’t all the same. Possibly the same on the 600?

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2018, 08:36:09 pm »
600 has the same it has  to be put in the right order look up the manual i will show you how to do it 

davep63

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2018, 08:43:49 pm »
Wheeled bike into the hallway and stripped it back down. Guess what? one of the friction plates is slightly bigger on the internal diameter. This plate goes after the anti-rattle spring. Re fitted and all working. Hope this may help someone in the future.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2018, 10:06:24 pm »
Wheeled bike into the hallway and stripped it back down. Guess what? one of the friction plates is slightly bigger on the internal diameter. This plate goes after the anti-rattle spring. Re fitted and all working. Hope this may help someone in the future.

Ah yes, that'll be second friction plate you pop in.
If using Genuine plates, there's three different friction plates. 1 pair for first and last. I big larger internal diameter for spring (comes second), then the all the others. Parts diagram on Fowlers site pin points exact part num of plates to go where in what order.

What brand of plates did you go for in the end?

I tried EBC friction plates and springs. The heavy duty springs were shit, insane clutch grab once warm - couldn't keep bike still with clutch fully engaged and front brake on, let alone find neutral! I'd be at traffic lights fighting between a burnout or stalling, perpetually flipping between 1st and 2nd trying to find neutral, before giving up and hitting the kill switch...
EBC plates and genuine springs - got clutch slip...
EBC plates and original old springs - was about manageable for a 9 months before it started slipping again.
Got NOS genuine friction & steel plates from ebay (hunting down specific part nums, as some plates are shared with other bikes), with new genuine springs, and all lovely smooth, easy going clutch now with no slip or grab.

« Last Edit: 18 December 2018, 10:08:04 pm by Arfa »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2018, 10:43:54 pm »

👍🏻👍🏻

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2019, 12:56:27 am »
Pay attention to the torque on those boss screws. I think manual states just 8Nm, which is less then screwdriver tight.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-