Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:18 am

Author Topic: Front tyre size  (Read 1474 times)

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front tyre size
« on: 12 December 2018, 02:04:07 pm »
Probably been asked before, but, did all the FZS600s come with a 110/70 front, or did they change on the later models to 120?

Just enquired about a tyre for my 2002 and was informed the later ones had a 120.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: Front tyre size
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2018, 03:14:41 pm »
I believe both Boxeye and Foxeye FZS 600s, with the carbed Thundercat engine, are 110.
It's the FZ6 S2 fuel injected models with the R6 engines that went up to 120.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2018, 04:56:28 pm »
:agree

The FZ6 is different but all the FZS600's were 110
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2018, 07:51:00 pm »
:agree

The FZ6 is different but all the FZS600's were 110

And  :agree  as well, my 2002 model 2003 registered FZS 600 Foxeye is on a 110 front.

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2018, 01:25:56 pm »
Thanks guys, that's what I thought but best to get it confirmed.

I presume the 110 will gradually get harder to find, but as long as they still do BT23s in that size, I'm a happy bunny.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2018, 08:06:52 pm »
i was also looking into getting a new front bt023 so be interested what you pay for one. I did get a price off universal tyres for around £78 fitted and balanced but wasnt going to bother till next week when i got bit of time. must admit to not finding it hard to get 110/zr/17

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2018, 06:47:49 am »
I recently swapped from a BT23 front to a Michelin PR3 as the BT23 squared of noticeably enough to affect handling, and i must say i very much prefer the Michelin in comparison.
Don't worry about pairing, right now is the nearest i've ever had to a paired set of tyres on my bike in over 30 years riding, i tend to follow reviews and have found that where you might get a good front, the rear may be not so good in the pair, and vice versa.

The PR3 front paired with the brilliant PR4 rear, which sticks to the road like glue in any conditions, are by far the best set of tyres i've ever used.

I get my tyres from Oponeo online these days, they generally have two prices, one for deliveries in the next two or three days, or a cheaper price if you can wait about a week.
Then i take the loose wheel to my bike shop and they fit it for me.
It still works out way cheaper doing things this way if that's a possible option for you, as long as you're okay removing the wheel yourself and have a lift or your own car to transport the loose wheel.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0JKi9t-e3wIVxLHtCh0EsQPhEAAYASAAEgJkX_D_BwE
« Last Edit: 14 December 2018, 07:01:36 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2018, 01:40:29 pm »
That seems like a very good deal from that site, and next time I'll try them.

I will be going to Ride-in tyres in Reading for this one, as I owe the bloke big time, he could charge me twice what it costs from that site, and I would still consider myself quids in.

I've never bother too much about pairings either, and will be replacing a Michelin macadam 100 which was on a second-hand wheel I got from the bay, because it had good discs, which has done me for over 10,000 miles.

I do 300 miles a week commuting in all weathers, and the BT23 have always been good to me on wear and handling. I'm loathe to change as I don't want to spend six months for a rear or a year for a front wishing I'd not bothered.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2018, 02:53:02 pm »
That seems like a very good deal from that site, and next time I'll try them.

I will be going to Ride-in tyres in Reading for this one, as I owe the bloke big time, he could charge me twice what it costs from that site, and I would still consider myself quids in.

I've never bother too much about pairings either, and will be replacing a Michelin macadam 100 which was on a second-hand wheel I got from the bay, because it had good discs, which has done me for over 10,000 miles.

I do 300 miles a week commuting in all weathers, and the BT23 have always been good to me on wear and handling. I'm loathe to change as I don't want to spend six months for a rear or a year for a front wishing I'd not bothered.

Firstly, the Michelin PR3's and PR4's are recommended on here by couriers, people that do touring, and also the every day commuter like me.
I cannot speak any higher of them.
The wet and dry grip is the same, they are simply brilliant all round.
They don't do a 110 front in the PR4, hence the PR3 instead.

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2018, 01:39:54 am »
Firstly, the Michelin PR3's and PR4's are recommended on here by couriers, people that do touring, and also the every day commuter like me.
Good to know.
Might give a PR4 rear a go in a couple of months when the canvas starts showing in the 021 I have on there now

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2018, 02:14:49 am »
Good to know.
Might give a PR4 rear a go in a couple of months when the canvas starts showing in the 021 I have on there now

Had the 021 years ago, seriously not even a fair contest, the Michelin's are something else and have hugely moved on from those tyres.
From memory, as good as the 021 was they were quite a hard rubber which meant they wore well but grip in the wet was questionable.

And don't forget, the more time you can allow the cheaper you'll get a tyre from Oponeo. They ship them over from Germany per order if you choose the cheaper option.
Bit of a shame you can't pick them up yourself, because their main UK depot is in North Harrow which is only 3 miles away from me, but they only do a delivery service.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2018, 08:46:22 am by darrsi »

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2018, 01:17:51 pm »
I get my tyres from Oponeo online these days, they generally have two prices, one for deliveries in the next two or three days, or a cheaper price if you can wait about a week.
It still works out way cheaper doing things this way if that's a possible option for you, as long as you're okay removing the wheel yourself and have a lift or your own car to transport the loose wheel.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0JKi9t-e3wIVxLHtCh0EsQPhEAAYASAAEgJkX_D_BwE
Darrsi

Got my front 023 fitted yesterday and enquired about the Oponeo thing, as he is registered as one of the places you can get you tyres shipped to direct.
His price for an 023 rear was £107 plus change fitted and balanced, which compared to £106 from Oponeo, obviously with fitting and balancing on top.

Ride-in tyres in Reading is the place, I can't recommend him highly enough.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2018, 04:12:52 pm »

Darrsi

Got my front 023 fitted yesterday and enquired about the Oponeo thing, as he is registered as one of the places you can get you tyres shipped to direct.
His price for an 023 rear was £107 plus change fitted and balanced, which compared to £106 from Oponeo, obviously with fitting and balancing on top.

Ride-in tyres in Reading is the place, I can't recommend him highly enough.

Fair play, can't argue with that.
Last time i was forced into going to a bike tyre place with a puncture he charged me about £164 i think, just for the rear, and that was with £5 discount, and years ago!