Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:53 pm

Author Topic: Renthal low or ultra low?  (Read 1174 times)

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Renthal low or ultra low?
« on: 10 December 2018, 11:58:21 pm »
Evening all, I’m in the process of getting the Fazer (03 foxeye 6) back on the road after a long layup following a back injury. Stock bars are bent after some dozy muppet (me) dropped the bike moving it around the yard to get a load of wood delivered. Which Renthals would be the best for touring/comfort? Seen lots of good reports on the ultra lows but would the low bars be better for comfort? Opinions gratefully received. I’m 5’9” and don’t really want to mess about chopping bar length other messing around with cables etc to fit. Hoping to lead a tour of WW1 battlefields in September 2019 as I know the area, lads from work with everything from Harleys to Gixxers coming along. Want something all day comfortable rather than going for it focused. Stock bars I found ok if a little narrow. Opinions from anyone who’s fitted low rather than ultra low would be much appreciated. Thanks very much, Demic.
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal low or ultra low?
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2018, 12:35:45 pm »
Hi

I have ultra lows on my year 2000 boxeye- slightly lower but noticeably wider than stock. For me these are perfect as I did not have to change any cabling etc. The only point of note is that there are no locating holes in the bars so you have to either drill a hole in the bars or file them off the switch mounts- either way not a problem. I just filed them off and have no problems- preferred doing this over drilling a hole in the bars as then you are not committed to the position and not weakening the bars.

Not tried the lows, but a friend who has a Fazer 1000 said he could not fit the lows on due to cable lengths- just anecdotally!

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2018, 02:11:31 pm »
You will have some flexibility in the position of the Bars, once fitted, by rotating them towards you or away from you, for optimum reach/seating position.

The Renthals are noticeably wider than stock (if you don't cut them down), so you wont be able to filter through small gaps in traffic like before.

Renthals also have no pre-drilled holes, like the stock handlebars, that the Switchgear uses to secure into place. You either drill holes into the Renthals to accommodate this, or file down these securing screws, so they only nip tight against the bar to hold in place instead (a short length of tape around the bar at that position can help hold more securely).

The quality plus benefit of the Renthals outweigh the above points.. a cheap effective Mod.

I also have 'Ultra lows', plus didn't have issues with switch gear cable length. When ordering the 'ultra lows' I expected them to have a more straight (aggressive) profile, however the centre section bends give an intermediate shape, certainly not as extreme as I was expecting them to be.

« Last Edit: 11 December 2018, 02:16:38 pm by F4celess »

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2018, 12:04:45 am »
Nice one, cheers for the input. I’ll give the ultra lows a go 👍🏻
It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.