Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:58 pm

Author Topic: Is this a scam?..?  (Read 3145 times)

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Is this a scam?..?
« on: 07 December 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
Hi been away from the forum for awhile so hello to everyone!

Unfortunately the time has come to sell the old fazer. I went green and bough a kwacker z1000sx back in April 2017. I tried the MT10  but found the throttle too snatchy and the just didn't gel with it during the test ride but my god what an engine bloody awesome. In truth probably too much for me .Tried a zzr1400 and found that was tamer than the Mt!   In the end the z1000sx  was the best ride and value for me.a

Anyway let me get to the point.
I didn't need two big bikes so picked up a low miles xt600e  for my winter/ wet  weather bike. I then put the fazer on Piston heads for  sale. Couple days later got an email from a bloke asking for my best price what the condition was and why was I selling . I replied that the price was as stated and in line with similar bikes but if he was serious I may haggle a bit. I told him all the details on condition etc were in the advert.

Something didn't seem quite right  :(

Next day I got the reply
He accepted the price. Then went  on to say that he was unable to view the bike in person as he worked away a lot as net work engineer what ever that is. However he would contact his associate to send me a cheque for the asking price which would take 2-3 days to clear . After which he would arrange for pick up. He then ask me to send my name and address and mobile number.
I replied that I was only prepared to sell the bike face to face and for him to give me a contact number so we could talk . I haven't had a reply. Bear in mind my phone number is in the advert.

The spelling and grammar would suggest the "buyer" isn't English

Am I being stupid or IS this something anyone else has come across?   

Ps the bike is still for sale on Piston heads and this forums for sale section :)
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a scam?..?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2018, 08:22:40 pm »
There,s one born every minute but luckily you saw through this scam. 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2018, 09:09:01 pm »
Scam. Don't respond to him again

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2018, 09:24:02 pm »
Oh for the good old days stick a post card in the newsagents window for 20p a week.  And sell your dt 50 for 200 quid to put a deposit on a new kmx 125.  :lol :lol :lol

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2018, 10:59:06 am »
100% scam. I had the same message when I sold the cruiser

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2018, 03:43:09 pm »

SCAM, if he contacts you again--tell im to Foc off.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2018, 11:30:45 pm »
So how does the scam work?. If the cheque clears after the 2/3 days he estimates before the bike is collected, you have he's money and he can't get the cash back can he?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2018, 11:39:39 pm »
Network Engineer is (usually) someone who builds and maintains computer or telephone networks for businesses. They often do work away, so that could be true, and could explain why he wanted a mate to pick up. Also second hand bikes are relatively cheap in the UK compared with some parts of Europe, so might explain why he was willing to pay full price unseen.

However..... the bit about cheque and clearing in 2-3 days would worry me. Bouncy bouncy bouncy. Lots of stories of banks bouncing fake cheques much later. If he has a friend collecting why can't he write a cheque to his mate and he brings cash? Presumably with a fist full of notes you'll be quite happy whatever his story.

At the end of the day trust your instincts. The old saying, if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish, it's probably a fish  :)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2018, 01:05:15 am »
So how does the scam work?. If the cheque clears after the 2/3 days he estimates before the bike is collected, you have he's money and he can't get the cash back can he?

maybe he's going to come and try and nick the bike or come down early with a couple of mates and try and intimidate you into handing the bike over,either way it stinks because why not just give his "associate" the cash ,then again same thing applies when you've given him your address,there's some dodgy characters out there ay? :thumbdown
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2018, 01:35:58 am »
Network Engineer is (usually) someone who builds and maintains computer or telephone networks for businesses. They often do work away, so that could be true, and could explain why he wanted a mate to pick up. Also second hand bikes are relatively cheap in the UK compared with some parts of Europe, so might explain why he was willing to pay full price unseen.

However..... the bit about cheque and clearing in 2-3 days would worry me. Bouncy bouncy bouncy. Lots of stories of banks bouncing fake cheques much later. If he has a friend collecting why can't he write a cheque to his mate and he brings cash? Presumably with a fist full of notes you'll be quite happy whatever his story.

At the end of the day trust your instincts. The old saying, if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish, it's probably a shit  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2018, 08:12:33 am »

At the end of the day trust your instincts. The old saying, if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish, it's probably a fish  :)

...or a mermaid with a dose :rolleyes

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2018, 09:31:26 pm »
Yes banks will bounce fake - dodgy cheques. Not sure now if the scam will work as well because banks now are scanning cheques and sending to the issuing bank instead of posting so if it is a dodgy one it is found out in a matter of hours ????? as opposed to days (the old 2-3) not sure about the hours but certinlay much much quicker than before.

The threat of scams and the time wasters over the years with my cars I have taken the hit and traded in. Cant be arsed now, might be different when it comes to the bike but it will have to be cash
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2018, 05:53:55 pm »
I think the fact ive had no reply to my last email says it all!! 

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2018, 10:51:17 am »
It's a sad fact of live there are sub-humans still trying to pull off these well known tricks.

...or a mermaid with a dose :rolleyes

Mermaid? Now had "he" been a bikini clad mermaid, wanting to come over and poke around with the promise of buying..... I might have been more partial to say YES. With open arms !  :D

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 December 2018, 11:39:35 pm »
I'm kind of confused,  surely receiving a cheque, waiting to see it cleared and money in your bank account before releasing the bike
would be proof of legitimacy.  in messages make it clear it is
taken on a sold as seen basis and in trust of buyer's representative's eyes.   Perhaps give him a work address to send the cheque so they cant come in a steal the bike 
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2018, 12:13:52 am »
When he says "he would contact his associate to send me a cheque for the asking price", that sounds to me like they've nicked someone's cheque book and details, but that person doesn't know it.

So the cheque might clear, but that doesn't mean you get to keep the money.

If it was legit it would be simple to do a bank transfer or similar which would be much less likely to be reversed.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 December 2018, 12:48:20 am »
When he says "he would contact his associate to send me a cheque for the asking price", that sounds to me like they've nicked someone's cheque book and details, but that person doesn't know it.

So the cheque might clear, but that doesn't mean you get to keep the money.

If it was legit it would be simple to do a bank transfer or similar which would be much less likely to be reversed.

:bobby Good thinking  ;)

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)