Date: 19-03-24  Time: 03:09 am

Author Topic: Remember badly built cheaply painted jap bikes we grew up on. Chinese follow...  (Read 1670 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Chinese bikes are following japanese bikes that were badly built but are improving. I love the look of this one......

https://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/index.php/product/sinnis-bomber/
« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 08:43:05 pm by BBROWN1664 »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

Badly built, cheaply painted Jap bikes we grew up on?. Really?. I've never heard anyone describe them as that before. All the ones I had were great little bikes. That's why they totally dominated the market.

The Honda C90 and Yamaha FS1E for example were two of the best little bikes ever manufactured.

I had much more faith in them than what I would have in one of these Chinese bikes.

« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 10:19:30 am by YamFazFan »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
We all buy Chinese quality electronics. They won't be far behind with bikes. Possibly electric ones!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
I'm not interested in electric bikes, but as far as petrol fuelled machines are concerned we'll never ever see the day someone exceeds the C90 for reliability and sales ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
There was a nice electric (!) Vespa at the bike show. Looks wise identical to the real thing, but probably doesn't sound like a wasp. Range about 80 miles. Probably the future for city bikes.

You're right though, unlikely to be any good for a tour.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile

When the day comes that electric bikes are all you can buy or are permitted to ride I'll pack in.

I feel like I was one of the lucky ones who had it all at it's best. We had the race-rep two strokes and then there was all the great four strokes, big trail bikes, great commuter bikes, all sorts...

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
I keep reading that electric mbikes are going to be the big thing, but i just dont see it that way. Battery technology is improving all the time, meaning your power pack is likely to be obsolete in a year, and whose gonna keep old batteries for you to buy. The cost is always going to be prohibitive, and you can only recharge a set number of times before the batteries usable period starts to drop away.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
did you read the mcn test with the leccy bike pitted against a cb500(or summat similar) the amount of time lost through charging(including an overnight stay) was incredible to say the least. And thats without consideringthe extraordinary purchase cost. As yamfazfan says, we were lucky, we had the best times, and not just with bikes. Chinese bikes and electric ones? nahhhh..;-)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Chinese bikes are following japanese bikes that were badly built but are improving. I love the look of this one......

https://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/index.php/product/sinnis-bomber/

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
I'm not interested in electric bikes, but as far as petrol fuelled machines are concerned we'll never ever see the day someone exceeds the C90 for reliability and sales ;)

Still got it  :lol
« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 06:47:29 pm by tommyardin »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
You can't say I'm not doing my best to help you shift it on ;) :lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Something at the back of my mind is reminding me of a conversation with my local dealer who sells these.. IIRC, they are actually made in Italy.

Actually, I got that wrong. I was thinking of these.
https://tnortheast.co.uk/motorcycles/mash-scrambler-400

Sinnis are Chinese and are much better than the Chinese bikes I was importing 10 years ago but still not quite up to Jap standards. May be close to Italian though :pokefun
« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 08:52:43 pm by BBROWN1664 »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Jap bikes in the early 70's had cheap metals used for bolts, castings etc.. they could easily thread. The fuel tanks rotted badly. Todays standard of build quality is much higher. My comparisons were based on the first chinese bikes and some of the chinese bikes being built now. They are still miles behind jap bikes, but they are improving..
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
Found this thread and thought I'd add my two pennies worth.

I've owned a Sinnis Apache 125 from new.  She's 4 and a bit years old now.

I researched all manner of Chinese bikes before I bought her and Sinnis came up the best.  It's identical to a Pulse Adrenaline and most Sinnis models are the same as Pulse and Lexmoto. 
Came with 2 year warranty.

In the 4 years I've owned her she's been ridden at virtually full throttle everywhere as I commute along an A road. 
Only fault I've had was the rev counter needle become bouncy.  Claimed under warranty and got a new set of dials but never fitted in order to keep the mileage correct.

One fork seal replaced. 

Shes's done 10,000 miles.  Had 2 chains and 1 sprocket in that time.  Valve clearances done at about 8000 miles.

Cost me 1800 sheets including a DEP exhaust upgrade.  Sold her today for 600. 

Depreciation of 300 quid a year.  That's pretty good going.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
I remember the early jap bikes of the late 1960s to mid late 1970s a lot of them crap. Cam chain blades on Hondas failed at less than 12k, pressed steel frames that rotted while you watched them, tyres that's only good point was they were round, early disc brakes that only worked in the dry completely useless in the rain, frames made of elastic. On the good side they were as fast or faster the British iron of twice their capacity, but kept hospitals and the local Crems busy with teenage lads.  Now they compete with the best, guess with a bit more practice the Chinese will get there.