Date: 24-04-24  Time: 10:27 am

Author Topic: Help with elektrickey  (Read 943 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Help with elektrickey
« on: 02 December 2018, 06:44:49 pm »
Im hoping for a bit of help from you chaps with this please. Im looking to connect up the forward facing camera now, Ive had the rear one on for some months and it works fine.

Trouble is, im not quite sure on the connections and the instructions are little more than a list of contents.

Here goes.

I have 3 pieces of kit left. The one on the right is the camera unit. I think i should repeat what i did with the rear one and pick up a live feed from eg a sidelight, only on when the ignition is on, the jackplug goes into the socket on the monitor, and this then runs from the internal battery in the monitor. Thats how the rear works

The rectangular unit in the centre is what im not sure about, cos i dont know what it is, but id guess some sort of regulator, it has a 1amp inline fuse. Im guessing that i nedd to pick up a live feed for it, and an earth point, then connect the plug onto the plug on the unit on the left. The unit on the left has a mini usb connector which then plugs into the monitor.

Does that sound sensible/reasonable?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Help with elektrickey
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2018, 07:46:17 pm »
 Car or bike?
Zooming in on the rectangular thing suggests it’s a wee power supply unit or little transformer.  I can make out 12-24v – so that must be the input – and below that it says 5v – so that must be the output to the camera.
For my car I used a piggy back fuse holder and choose the rear wiper to piggy back on.
Like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Piggy-Back-Standard-Blade-Holder/dp/B017O0QHZU/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543779903&sr=1-12&keywords=piggyback+fuse+holder

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 07:55:47 pm »
Car or bike?
Zooming in on the rectangular thing suggests it’s a wee power supply unit or little transformer.  I can make out 12-24v – so that must be the input – and below that it says 5v – so that must be the output to the camera.
For my car I used a piggy back fuse holder and choose the rear wiper to piggy back on.
Like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Piggy-Back-Standard-Blade-Holder/dp/B017O0QHZU/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543779903&sr=1-12&keywords=piggyback+fuse+holder

Not so sure about that. Its for the bike. The rectangular unit doesnt look like it connects to the camera, looks it it may connect to the usb lead, which then plugs into the monitor. I reckon its to charge the internal battery in the monitor while the bikes running, otherwise the internal battery drains powering both cameras

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 08:13:49 pm »
I'm a bit lost.  Camera and monitor.  Have one in the car.  It was dead simple.
Not got one on the bike, I figure it will just do what the one in the car does.The one in the car generally just collects potentially inciminating evidence in relation to my driving.But having one on the bike could get me locked up :eek
I'm sure somebody else will help you oot shortly.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2018, 03:10:24 pm »
It looks to work how i thought it might. Connected the rectangular unit up to the car battery pos and neg, and the charging light came on on the monitor, so I think ive got it sussed now. Thanks

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2018, 06:54:55 pm »
Sounds good. :)