Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:02 pm

Author Topic: Sticking fuel gauge  (Read 1220 times)

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Sticking fuel gauge
« on: 01 December 2018, 07:19:45 am »
Presume this is related to sensor in tank
When first starting fuel gauge goes to max
After riding stays at highest level until heavy braking then drops to correct level
Do I need a new sensor in the tank
Cheers g

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2018, 09:25:50 am »
I’ve always seen mine as more of an approximate gauge. I get +-300km per tank and for the first 100 it indicates more than full. Then it drops down to about half. I just fill it up when it the light come on or when I’ve gone over 220km

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2018, 10:00:21 am »
I’ve always seen mine as more of an approximate gauge. I get +-300km per tank and for the first 100 it indicates more than full. Then it drops down to about half. I just fill it up when it the light come on or when I’ve gone over 220km

:agree
Standard behaviour for these bikes strangely enough, i'll normally look for a garage when the needle's two thirds of the way down.
I believe there's still a good few miles left when it hits empty as well, not that i've personally ever let it go that low though.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2018, 11:30:47 am »
I only ride for fun and just put enough in for the ride I am about to do, more of splash and dash. Up to 100miles  So I have never filled it and I have never seen a sticky gauge and mostly ride it down to the warning light. My thinking is that way I always have fresh petrol in as I can go weeks in between rides. If I was to fill right up then that petrol could be in there for months.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2018, 12:58:00 pm »
I only ride for fun and just put enough in for the ride I am about to do, more of splash and dash. Up to 100miles  So I have never filled it and I have never seen a sticky gauge and mostly ride it down to the warning light. My thinking is that way I always have fresh petrol in as I can go weeks in between rides. If I was to fill right up then that petrol could be in there for months.   

You won't notice anything until you fill the tank up full.
The needle stays above the "full" for i'd guess around a third of the tank without budging, then it'll suddenly drop.
Possibly the most inaccurate gauge i've ever seen. 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2018, 01:07:45 pm »

You won't notice anything until you fill the tank up full.
The needle stays above the "full" for i'd guess around a third of the tank without budging, then it'll suddenly drop.
Possibly the most inaccurate gauge i've ever seen. 
Yep I was trying to demonstrate, maybe to those who always fill up that it is a full tank quirk but otherwise I find the gauge to be accurate, But the light - on gives you loads, I think someone on here tested it and got 75 miles/ 45 miles - cant remember out of a warning light.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2018, 01:49:48 pm »
The measurement is accurate it's the the scale on the clocks that's off. When my tank is topped off the gauge goes above full and it's not empty until the middle line of the E. I don't really think about fill until the needle is in the E

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2018, 01:50:40 pm »
Presume this is related to sensor in tank
When first starting fuel gauge goes to max
After riding stays at highest level until heavy braking then drops to correct level
Do I need a new sensor in the tank
Cheers g
Sounds like the float in the tank is a bit sticky

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2018, 08:27:51 am »
So how do we get to the float to check it?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2018, 10:27:52 am »
So how do we get to the float to check it?

My guess would be that pretty much every bike will be individual when it comes to fuel gauge accuracy.
I would suggest you just get used to it as it is, if you removed the sensor and float from the tank and replaced it it would likely just read differently and not necessarily accurately.
It seems to me its a guide or visual reminder and no more, once you get to know the gauge it will be fine, if fact when it comes to accuracy they are about as much use as an ashtray on a bike.
I think the old peep inside the tank before leaving home is a good guide and after you fill the tank right up set the tripometer on the clock and learn how far the bike will go on a tank full.

The Fazer is the first bike I have owned that even had a fuel gauge, mind you I was off bikes since 1978 to 2012.

Pic below is my gauge with the tank filled almost to the top of the neck of the fill tube on the tank, and it is reading over Full.